Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carb idle issues caused by carb temp sensor discuss

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: carb idle issues caused by carb temp sensor discuss

very interesting, found a major difference in the carb computer from looking at the 86 electrical manual,vs the 89, this makes the carb computers unable to be swapped after a certain year, in 86 the sensor is a simple switch that comes on about a 158 degrees, in 89 it's a variable resistor just like in the FI cars, if you swapped a sensor from an early car to a late car, the computer would think the sensor was bad, or give bad outputs, if you swapped a late sensor to an early car it would probably burn up

Vehicle
    86 accord dx, 88 accord lx, 86 wagovan 1.5, 84 CRX 1.3, 84 civic dx, 91 ranger, 86 camry, 85 camry

Old thread, my bad...does anybody have some part numbers for the carb block sensor?
    Also, how would this affect a carb swap?
    I'm guessing You'd obviously want to swap sensors if your swapping carbs? (I.E 222, 224a, 224m, 225).
    Does anybody know which carburetor part number comes with each stock model? (86>22x, 87>22x, etc...)

It seems to me, just like lostforawhile said, the thermosensors have a 15 year life span. (&thermovalves too I guess).

Does anybody have any part numbers for the 2 thermovalves?

This is very interesting, I'm curious if the sensor isn't swapped with the carb how the carb would run?

I got a rebuilt carb here tomorrow from the monkey man at importcarbs ( genuinecarburetors.com ) so I was thinking it'd be nice to change that sensor, such an unknown part there may not be any around.

I have the vaporlock type issue of idle problems after warmed up engine start & I definitely think this might be the problem.

Then again, maybe this carb hates corn.
    Last edited by Dr. Herb Tokyo; 07-30-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Vehicle
    86 accord dx, 88 accord lx, 86 wagovan 1.5, 84 CRX 1.3, 84 civic dx, 91 ranger, 86 camry, 85 camry

I have an 86,...I jumped the terminals on the carb computers sensor to simulate always above 150*, the only difference I've noticed is....runs a bit rougher til warmed up.

DX User

I'm 99% sure the one for an 85 is part# TX75. I have both in my hand and the one for the block is slightly longer than the one for the radiator. they all cost about $28. google that number and also your year and see if they match.

DX User

Hi! I'm very curious about carb computer. Mine is vigor 1989. Could u guys upload the picture, please!