Thread: Fixed my valve cover bolt cleaned up the engine bay...

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Fixed my valve cover bolt cleaned up the engine bay...

i snapped a bolt and have been waiting for the last 3 weeks to get a part...finally came in today so after fixing that i decided to clean up the engine bay a little......
    before

after

i have some questions.....can i possibly remove some of these damn vaccum lines???? possibly plugging some of em???
    can i modify the stock air cleaner its obnoxious looking haha i like how a member on here did his?

also took all my badges off getting ready to clean em up and re paint them....not putting any of the cvcc badges back on tho

also while i was messing with the car i had a buddy of mine do a quick (shitty) photoshop of what i want the car to look like.....i have my heart set on these rims so a lug pattern conversion is in the future.....im also using a used set of EG civic coil overs to see if i can lower it a bit

i know the fender mirrors arent the factory style....these are for a 67 Chevelle

and lastly this is the color its gonna be getting painted....this is 6 year old maaco paint lol its called sunburst orange (this is my old 1980 Mustang)
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 350 4.10s
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1 Type R internals
    1982 GT Mustang 5.0 3.73 gears
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0 MONSTER
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6 stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Fixed my valve cover bolt cleaned up the engine bay...

When I rebuilt my '82 Accord engine, I had "help." It was the kind of "help" that breaks a lot of stuff and makes the project take much longer. When I finally got it all done, there was a valve cover leak. I diagnosed it as a slightly deformed valve cover. It was stamped, not cast like yours, so it bent back easily. The "help" decided it just needed to be tightened more. Never mind that the nut bottoms against the support. You can tighten it to 300 ft-lbs and it won't put any more tension on the valve cover gasket. I tried to explain this to the "help," but he was not to be denied. Moments later I heard the tell-tale snap. Luckily, my donor engine was sitting only a few feet away with valve cover supports that the "help" hadn't managed to destroy yet. I chased the "help" out of the garage and fixed it in only a few minutes, thankfully.

Your engine bay looks awesome. The Maaco job does too.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

thanks man
    <Dayne>
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

I really like the stock wheels black. I'm going to do mine flat black and add a rat rod style red ring on them. My car is currently primer/beige and lowered by one coil in the front so I think it will fit. I'm also thinking sunburst hood and fender mirrors to tie it all together.

Did you pull the engine or just work around it? Either way that bay looks awesome.

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Quote Originally Posted by PDXAccord79 View Post
    I really like the stock wheels black. I'm going to do mine flat black and add a rat rod style red ring on them. My car is currently primer/beige and lowered by one coil in the front so I think it will fit. I'm also thinking sunburst hood and fender mirrors to tie it all together.

Did you pull the engine or just work around it? Either way that bay looks awesome.
    im lookin for the chrome trim rings for my rims idk how long it will take me to get the DR20s and how did you go about cutting the springs? i wanna do the same for now.........and im actualy gonna be priming mine beige as well....until i have the cash for the paint......the hood is going satin black

as for the engine bay i kept the engine in...put most of the stuff on the firewalls were taken off and it was all sanded down and painted
    <Dayne>
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

God I'm a nerd. The first thing I noticed was that you swapped an interstate battery for a "NeverStart" (Funny anecdote, during a meeting today WalMart batteries were referred to as "CzechsMex" due to Walmart getting their batteries from the lowest bidder, typically the Czech republic, mexico, brazil, etc.)
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    God I'm a nerd. The first thing I noticed was that you swapped an interstate battery for a "NeverStart" (Funny anecdote, during a meeting today WalMart batteries were referred to as "CzechsMex" due to Walmart getting their batteries from the lowest bidder, typically the Czech republic, mexico, brazil, etc.)
    LOL i got that battery for $20 i only needed it to get the car home hahaha bought it off a buddy
    <Dayne>
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

I cut my springs with a Dremel cut-off wheel and it worked alright. The car is much stiffer with Koni adjustable struts so I'm hoping once I get it started it will be a smooth ride. Taking one coil out made it so the gap on the front fender is equal with the gap on the back. Adds a little bit of a rake as well which makes it look kinda cool.

I don't think I'm taking any out in the back, just replacing the struts. With one gone in the front the springs can be turned slightly if the car is hanging. 2 would have the spring free if the car got too much lift and that seems really unsafe.

I'm thinking close the remaining gap with bigger wheels. The wheels on this car do look a little goofy since they're so small.

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

do you think these would work on the car? i had em on my EG coupe they were like 60 bucks for em used......they are made by skunk 2 i had tokico shocks

this is the EG

the belly of the beast lol (jdm b16 with laundry list of mods)
    <Dayne>
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

You might want to measure some Civic shock absorbers.
    The spring rates might not be too far off given the cars vaguely similar weights but I think the double wishbone suspension Civics have smaller diameter shock absorbers than our Accords since they do not have to have the strength to locate the front wheels like McPherson strut front suspension cars. Hence Hazwan had adapted a pair of (aftermarket?) coilover struts from a Mitsubishi Lancer in a thread on here, though no doubt may other cars might provide similar parts since Strut front suspension is far more common for cars this size than Honda's later efforts.

I must admit to being biased towards retaining a cars original colours unless they are really out of character for the car.

Here's some interesting golden Accords in older threads for inspiration.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76821

And wilder ones

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71993

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68608
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=43331...A79B5B2BF2!140
    (Not quite the original colour on this one, but you get the idea)...

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I'm trying to think are your wheels 4X100? look for steelies off of a geo storm, they are the old style slot steelies, paint with some argent silver, add center H caps, and beauty rings, and they look like old school Honda wheels, no need for a conversion,they are also 14

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I'm trying to think are your wheels 4X100? look for steelies off of a geo storm, they are the old style slot steelies, paint with some argent silver, add center H caps, and beauty rings, and they look like old school Honda wheels, no need for a conversion,they are also 14
    ive decided im getting a set of Diamond racing wheels.....they come in the 14x7 with the 4x120 pattern i need so i dont have to swap my spindles out

ill probably just pull a spring off one day and measure it and get a set of universal coilovers somewhere
    <Dayne>
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    You might want to measure some Civic shock absorbers.
    The spring rates might not be too far off given the cars vaguely similar weights but I think the double wishbone suspension Civics have smaller diameter shock absorbers than our Accords since they do not have to have the strength to locate the front wheels like McPherson strut front suspension cars. Hence Hazwan had adapted a pair of (aftermarket?) coilover struts from a Mitsubishi Lancer in a thread on here, though no doubt may other cars might provide similar parts since Strut front suspension is far more common for cars this size than Honda's later efforts.

I must admit to being biased towards retaining a cars original colours unless they are really out of character for the car.

Here's some interesting golden Accords in older threads for inspiration.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76821

And wilder ones

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71993

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68608
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=43331...A79B5B2BF2!140
    (Not quite the original colour on this one, but you get the idea)...
    those look good....i love the first one....im still debating on what color i realy want.....theres the orange of my mustang,i could try and get the factory color or a sand color......im gonna be priming it in an almond color for now (its covered in primer spots from body work anyway...its not getting painted until i track down a fender tho...
    <Dayne>
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1