Thread: Heeelllllpppp!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord LXi

Heeelllllpppp!!!

So I found this sick ass luggage rack at the local junk yard for five bucks and can't wait to put it on! But there's one problem... I have no Idea how. The holes the bolts screwed into on the car it came off of were molded into the trunk and I really don't want to have a fucked up trunk or worse, the rack comes off while driving down the highway. Any pointers, directions, or suggestions on how to do this right would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the rack:

I think it'll go really well with a wooden/chrome steering wheel, like a nardi or something like this:

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Heeelllllpppp!!!

Can you take the whole trunk lid?

I would guess its just screwed through with nuts on the back. Keeping water out would be the concern.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord LXi

No, I can't :/ It's off of a really clean 2nd gen. Same color as mine and everything just a completely different body style haha. I actually think I'm gonna run back today in a minute and see if I can't coax the threaded holes out of the trunk somehow. Maybe Ill find my steering wheel to go with it!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I can't see any reason why drilling holes in the trunk lid and using plastic screw inserts wouldn't work. There isn't going to be a lot of stress on that part. If you're really worried about it, use bolts, nuts and washers. Do your measurements first and then lay it all out to eyeball it and make sure it looks right before drilling that first hole. For waterproofing, you can get rolls of putty tape at the RV store (they use it for the roof vents). Put a layer of putty under each piece and you are sure not to have any leaks.

A second possibility is the new body molding tape that they use to hold door strips on now. I think it's made by 3M, but someone will be along shortly to correct me if that's wrong. There would be no drilling with that method, but if you fumble a piece and it sticks in the wrong spot, you'll probably just have to learn to like it that way.

Cool rack, BTW.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW