Thread: Survey Says?

Vehicle

Survey Says?

This is hardly worth a thread, but I just thought I'd ask:
    Do any of you have your trim rings make noise?

I'll be driving along normally, enjoying the sound of my Weber (I still get a kick out of that growl) but then I'll pull up next to a railing, or another car while still in motion, and I get a jingle-jangle-metallic clanging sort of noise reflecting off the other car/surface.
    At first I thought something was wrong with my brakes, etc.. but I came to realize that it's my chrome trim ring (Or at least as far as I can tell).

It never comes off, and I don't think it's banging against the tire or anything. I've tried banging it more into place, to no avail. I still get the noise. I wouldn't care if it didn't make my car sound like it's gonna fall apart. I know it's pompous and I really shouldn't care as long as it's not gonna fly off but when I drive past people I want them to think, "Oh, what a cute little old car!" NOT "Oh, look at that piece of s**t."
    Anyone else have this problem AND/OR any solutions? I'm almost ready to try and find out where on the rim it rubs so I can lay a little strip of silicone sealant on it or something.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Survey Says?

I think it's your frat buddies playing a prank on you. Pull off the rings and empty out the rocks they put behind them. LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Sounds like the story of my life with my brake shoes that never stop rattling. I have all the rattle clips in there, but they don't really seem to do much.

Vehicle

DR. Snooz: I WISH!

2nd Gen: You may have something there...I'm fairly certain it's my trim ring but maybe I should get someone to drive next to me in my car while I listen.... I actually have all new brake clips waiting to be put in so I hope you're right (And I hope if you ARE right that those clips will work better than yours. LOL).

Vehicle

Oh man, when my rotor was warped, it was SO LOUD. Clank! Clank! Clank! To know if it's your pads, it should go away when you hit the brakes. Did you try just popping off the trim ring to see if the sound goes away? If you take it off, and the sound is gone, you know it's the trim ring.

Vehicle

Good point, I haven't tried that yet...so simple and yet I never even thought of it!...Big DUH on my part!

Vehicle

So did you find anything out?

Vehicle

3 years later.... I figured I'd answer this....I still haven't fixed it yet either!!!

Anyhow the problem is actually my exhaust pipe, or more specifically one section of pipe:

http://youtu.be/WVsIZdOd8ng

I keep putting off replacing it, I'm hoping I can make a new length of pipe by assembling it myself from different pre-cut pieces, I know it wouldn't be a fortune but I'm sure I'd still get screwed by getting a muffler shop to do it.
    I'm puzzled by why it is like that though....a pipe within the pipe? Is that for heat dissipation? Sound deadening? Strength?
    Anyhow, this is a mostly pointless post but I figured what the hell....

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Probably for sound deadening. Good sleuthing, BTW.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

ive heard from a friends dad (when i recommended he should get some for the civic he is restoring) that his trim rings started doing this on his 90 civic hatch he used to have. he got frustrated and pulled them off and threw them in the trash and the sound went away lol.

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    ive heard from a friends dad (when i recommended he should get some for the civic he is restoring) that his trim rings started doing this on his 90 civic hatch he used to have. he got frustrated and pulled them off and threw them in the trash and the sound went away lol.
    I'm glad in my case it isn't those rings.... I've done a lot of hunting to find god ones and I love the look they provide! I'm still driven a little nuts every time I drive though, cause I can always hear a constant metallic rattle echoing off other cars and my surroundings. SO my car that is currently running like a friggin top still sounds like a piece of garbage rust-bucket to everyone that checks it out as I drive past. I feel like I'm mis-representing old school Hondas everywhere!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

this reminds me, I had this very annoying sound from the brakes, like the dust shield was bent a little and rubbing the rotor? well it turns out I had the wrong rotors!
    They fit and seated fine, stopped fine but the inside inner diameter where the rotor surface stops was contacting the dust shield no matter however I adjusted the dust shield the rotor was still contacting it. A good flash light inspection revealed zero clearance down in close to the hub between the shield and rotor. Removing the Shields completely eliminated the noise.
    Of course I put the correct rotors on afterwards.
    As much as you have been fretting with this one lostscotiaguy, maybe this will help you find your noise.
    I used to use rtv silicone to glue noisy trim ring retainers but you have to be sparingly with it since it potentially could throw off the tire balance

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    this reminds me, I had this very annoying sound from the brakes, like the dust shield was bent a little and rubbing the rotor? well it turns out I had the wrong rotors!
    They fit and seated fine, stopped fine but the inside inner diameter where the rotor surface stops was contacting the dust shield no matter however I adjusted the dust shield the rotor was still contacting it. A good flash light inspection revealed zero clearance down in close to the hub between the shield and rotor. Removing the Shields completely eliminated the noise.
    Of course I put the correct rotors on afterwards.
    As much as you have been fretting with this one lostscotiaguy, maybe this will help you find your noise.
    I used to use rtv silicone to glue noisy trim ring retainers but you have to be sparingly with it since it potentially could throw off the tire balance
    Thank you for the suggestion! But actually I HAVE found the cause of the noise (As I showed earlier in this post.)
    I'll post the link again: http://youtu.be/WVsIZdOd8ng
    I need to just take that section of pipe off again and bring it to a muffler shop. Aside from getting rid of my embarrassing rattle I might get a tiny boost in power as well due to slightly less restriction. Just think, when I put my weber back on too I might get a whole extra 2-3 horses!! LOL