Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x100 Conversion Discussion

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: 4x100 Conversion Discussion

Hahaah! Can you fucking believe it? I got the wrong part again! I get a fucked up order from Rock Auto with one hub that's completely wrong, and the right hub is missing all it's seals. So I buy a pair of hubs locally, and I get one correct hub, and one wrong hub from them, but at least I got the right bearings! I sure fucking hope!

The one on the left is the correct hub. The one on the right, is the one I tried to press in. It's pretty obvious why it didn't fit. The seal surface is much deeper, and will GIVE ME THE CLEARANCE I NEED YAY! NO MODIFICATION NECESSARY!!

Vehicle

Yep, just pressed in the CORRECT hub, and it works!!! w00t. The auto parts store can take back their broken-ass wheel bearing and give me my money back on this shit.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i want to see a set of fat fives on the 1st gen now

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Hooray, Glad to hear the hub fitment fright was unfounded.
    Certainly would make you wish you'd opened both boxes before starting. And reinforce distrust of suppliers.
    Fat fives would look interesting.. but what would suit the 2nd gen better.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

OMGYESH FINALLY!!!!!!! Silly parts store haha!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Lol you have buncha hubs on your bench.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle

^^Haha yeah, I guess it's the price of trying to do stuff that hasn't been done a million times, or without a kit!

I like how this is looking. 86 Accord calipers, shimmed 2mm with 2g CRX rotors. Huge compared to the stock rotors!

Vehicle

Hats off to you! Maybe one of us could put together a parts list and guide for this.... I love seeing all that you (And Hazwan as well) have done and figured out but to be embarassingly honest I end up getting lost as to what worked and what didn't. It would be nice to have "The ultimate idiot proof diy guide and parts list" for future readers on here, and idiots like me
    Too bad it couldn't be as easy as just throwing a different knuckle on. Either way thanks for sharing this with us! I'm sure we'll be seeing some more people doing this. Oh, and 2ndGen guy, not to sound like a creepy creeperton but did you post a vid on youtube with this car? The color of your valve cover looks like the same one I saw of someone who had just done an engine rebuild. It was a short video but the engine was running super quiet and smooth as a sowing machine...I was actually pretty jealous, as mine sounds like a coffee grinder!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostscotiaguy View Post
    Hats off to you! Maybe one of us could put together a parts list and guide for this.... I love seeing all that you (And Hazwan as well) have done and figured out but to be embarassingly honest I end up getting lost as to what worked and what didn't. It would be nice to have "The ultimate idiot proof diy guide and parts list" for future readers on here, and idiots like me
    Too bad it couldn't be as easy as just throwing a different knuckle on. Either way thanks for sharing this with us! I'm sure we'll be seeing some more people doing this. Oh, and 2ndGen guy, not to sound like a creepy creeperton but did you post a vid on youtube with this car? The color of your valve cover looks like the same one I saw of someone who had just done an engine rebuild. It was a short video but the engine was running super quiet and smooth as a sowing machine...I was actually pretty jealous, as mine sounds like a coffee grinder!
    Oh don't worry! I plan on putting together an actual, comprehensive swap guide! Complete with the actual parts that you need to do this. It's actually a lot less than you would think! I know it gets confusing, and that's why I made this this "discussion" thread and not the "HowTo." Combining my swap parts list, and the parts that 79Cord and Hazwan used, I think we can cover all the US and other markets in one guide!

And yeah, that was my car. I've posted a few videos of her online. It runs damn nice, I will admit. It need some tweaking to the timing, since I installed a MegaJolt, but starts up so much easier than with a distributor. Literally pump the pedal twice, and hit the starter and it fires up and idles smooth!

Vehicle

I think these will always be guides as there are various brake options depending upon what is available and priorities, especially at the front.
    I have 2g CRX/4g Civic Si 242mm discs & calipers with 2mm spacers for mounting the Calipers and believe 3g Prelude calipers {use same pads} will eliminate the need for the spacers (bought but not yet mounted). So any brake upgrades for Non-Vtec 1985-2000 Civics should also work for us, one of these being redrilled legend 262mm early Legend discs (A friend uses Nissan Pulsar {Sentra} discs & Europe use MG ZT190? instead), with early Integra TypeR/Prelude Vtec/ 4g Accord Wagon/2g Legend calipers.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

So much brake options that MIGHT fit ahhhh too bad the only way to know is to actually go out and give them a try yourself (N) Stupid Honda, knowing them what works for you 2ndGenGuy, might not work for me (N).

Do you happen to have PICS of the rotor side by side with the stock? They look HUGE! And that caliper too!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Wow. Original front disc rotors were 187mm diameter solid... these are 242mm vented.
    So a bit bigger. But can still fit within 13" wheels depending upon calipers.

I remember 3g F1 calipers were supposed to be much better that the average 3g Accord caliper. Wonder if they shared pads with anything else?
    I found the Civic/Crx Si calipers had much bigger front pads (shared with 3g Prelude) than the basic 4g Civic.

Vehicle

The F1 calipers use the same pads as the regular 86-87 Accord. The two piston setup just creates a more even pressure surface across the pad, instead of it being all in the middle. The CRX rotors that I have are actually bigger than the 3g Accord rotors, which weren't much bigger than the 1g Accord rotors.

Vehicle

Update! I've been busting my ass on this thing. Replacing all kinds of stuff. Put in new ball joints, painted all the calipers black, got everything tightened down in the front. Reamed out the Miata wheels to fit the Honda hubs. I have one rear brake done. I cut 1/4 of a coil out of the front springs.

I still have to cut the rear springs down to level it, and install the rear Konis. Install the other rear brake. I am waiting to buy all new brake hoses. Then I can bleed it, hook up the e-brake cables using the design from 79Cord that were posted earlier. Then everything should finally be done. Then I will be on to my next project!

Here are some sneak peak PICS!!!

I know, I need better lugnuts too. I am pretty sure I have some capped lugnuts somewhere. The front tires are just EXACTLY lined up with the outer fender. I'm just hoping it won't rub when I hit a bump.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

OH SHIT! What size are they? 15s?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Yep, 15x6, 40mm offset, 13.1lbs.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Man your brakes look tiny still.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

That IS looking nice!
    The drop is discreet but gives a nice wheelarch gap. Wouldn't that give a gap similar to the rear already with a nice bit of rake for the body?
    Though I guess chopping the rear as well would stiffen them and the rear springs are originally a little soft anyway with a full complement of passengers aboard.
    Someone has suggested they fitted some early VW Golf/Rabbit diesel front springs to the rear of theirs to stiffen things, and I had spotted some stiffer rear springs from KING springs advertised on Ebay for 1g Accord so I guess others had asked for some to be made.
    I guess you remember these

which were15x6.5", 38mm offset. 195/50R15 tyres and didn't seem to give any problems... but I do neeeed to lower the frt of mine.. If Hazwan is using that size as well you must be fine!
    Shame I need new tyres for them and they weigh a heap to compensate for the fact they were made in Indonesia
    Must paint & get tyres for those nice light Mugen RNR wheels I have... just not sure if I'd dare to use them regularly..
    Did I say how much I like those Mazda wheels..

edit:
    The bigger wheels & wide tires really make them look purposeful & memorable don't they! Especially at your new height.
    Last edited by 79cord; 08-22-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Vehicle

You gotta be careful ordering from KING. I was looking at the 2nd gen springs they supposedly make, and thought the dimensions were all wrong. Then, it was confirmed when someone ordered them, and got 3rd gen springs. That was AFTER paying $300 for shipping from Australia. And to boot, they refused to agree that they were the wrong springs. Said they must be different from US to Australia, and that it's not their fault and that they're definitely 2nd gen springs. Despite the fact that the 2g and 3g Accord suspension setups are COMPLETELY different. After seeing them take zero responsibility for that, I'd never buy anything from them again.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Okay so tell me if this cant/won't work:

What if I machine the 2g Civic drum so it would end up as a hub for a disk to fit over it and fabricate myself a caliper bracket, enabling me to fit whatever caliper that I want/could find.

I am aware that this might end up bringing out the track a little but but thats not an issue for me

The reason for this? Lude parts is hard to find here (N)

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Sad that 2g King springs wound up such a disaster & they were unwilling to accept fault. I remember the problem but hadn't heard the final outcome.

Trimming the Civic drums into hubs to mount disc rotor sounds fairly sensible to me.
    Though you probably wouldn't have the centre ring protruding out to locate the wheel centre. (Yes I know wheel studs do that but there is often still a legal requirement for this even if achieved by spacer rings on the wheels).
    Longer wheel studs might be needed as well.
    Would you have room for the wider rear track?
    I have been meaning to look at rear hubs from other cars as well just in case they might work.
    I also remembered this thread:
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76291

Should I also check costs of buying & posting 2g Prelude setup out from here?

From memory local wrecker would want $35 each for calipers/brackets $20 each for disc rotors, though finding decent thickness discs might be harder & it might be worth your checking cost of buying some new locally? Not sure if Civic/Integra calipers are any different from the Prelude ones but I don't think disc diameter or pads ever changed. Obviously original caliper/bracket couldn't handle the wider track without spacing which might not be a great idea.

Vehicle

Well this is the first downside I've found to using the Prelude rear discs. Stupid dust covers are too big and keeping me from being able to install the center caps from my wheels...

Hoping I can find some smaller ones or something. Either that, or I'll have to cut the tabs off of the center caps and glue them onto the wheels directly. Those stupid things even gave me problems on my GSR wheels on my 2nd gen. Can't get the caps all the way on...

Here's how she sits now. Car is running great. My brake booster is now leaking though... and I think I need a new master cylinder. It feels like there is still air in the system, though I've bled the shit out of it.

Vehicle

Looking forward to seeing more of that. It looks great & I think I like that rake.
    I can't believe that's only a quarter coil trim!
    I didn't think yours had any air-conditioning or power-steer to weigh the front down, though I guess those US bumper-beams & absorber mountings add a bit.
    How well did the coils end up fitting their mounts?
    My Lancia Beta's front coils had been trimmed when I got it, and were a disaster, hanging off their mounts badly with little to locate them.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Raaaaake!

Oh btw I know a solution to your rear cap problem.

Oh and EG booster/master nao!

OH and your rear disk look about as big as my front ones -__-
    Last edited by Hazwan; 08-28-2012 at 07:09 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Sad that 2g King springs wound up such a disaster & they were unwilling to accept fault. I remember the problem but hadn't heard the final outcome.

Trimming the Civic drums into hubs to mount disc rotor sounds fairly sensible to me.
    Though you probably wouldn't have the centre ring protruding out to locate the wheel centre. (Yes I know wheel studs do that but there is often still a legal requirement for this even if achieved by spacer rings on the wheels).
    Longer wheel studs might be needed as well.
    Would you have room for the wider rear track?
    I have been meaning to look at rear hubs from other cars as well just in case they might work.
    I also remembered this thread:
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76291

Should I also check costs of buying & posting 2g Prelude setup out from here?

From memory local wrecker would want $35 each for calipers/brackets $20 each for disc rotors, though finding decent thickness discs might be harder & it might be worth your checking cost of buying some new locally? Not sure if Civic/Integra calipers are any different from the Prelude ones but I don't think disc diameter or pads ever changed. Obviously original caliper/bracket couldn't handle the wider track without spacing which might not be a great idea.
    Come to think of it, I think it might be easier to just try and find the Prelude setup or get that sleeve thinggy instead xD

1981 Honda Accord (sold)