Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x100 Conversion Discussion

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: 4x100 Conversion Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Oh btw I know a solution to your rear cap problem.
    YES?! And?!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Looking forward to seeing more of that. It looks great & I think I like that rake.
    I can't believe that's only a quarter coil trim!
    I didn't think yours had any air-conditioning or power-steer to weigh the front down, though I guess those US bumper-beams & absorber mountings add a bit.
    How well did the coils end up fitting their mounts?
    My Lancia Beta's front coils had been trimmed when I got it, and were a disaster, hanging off their mounts badly with little to locate them.
    Ah, no it's actually a 1 1/4 coils. It already had a coil cut in the front from before. I just trimmed an extra 1/4 out.

The coils seemed to fit fine. The top of the coil doesn't really flatten out like the bottom of it does... here's a pic of a stock spring vs the cut one...

I think if I had cut it at the bottom, it would a have been a different story, but this seems to fit pretty much just like stock right now.

Vehicle

So I just looked online. The stock 81 Accord master cylinder (for the US at least) is 13/16" and the 95 Civic w/o ABS is 15/16". I'm using 86 Accord calipers, which matched up with a 7/8" master cylinder. So I will be a bit bigger than that, but that might be good for the rear disc calipers, which I think have more cylinder area than the drum cylinders.

EDIT: So the 15/16 master cylinder is for the Civic with ABS. Regular 95 Civic Coupe has a 7/8" as well. So I'll probably go with that.

EDIT 2: There's a bunch of different master cylinders... Some even with a 13/16" bore. I am still thinking that the 7/8" one for the Civic Coupe will work. Turns out it's also the same as the 3g Accord master cylinder.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 08-28-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Vehicle
    '80 Honda Prelude XR

Here's my current project using some 2G rear discs on a 1G prelude. I have them currently but haven't had the time or garage to put them on (currently live in a townhouse so my DIY time is rare). They seem to work perfectly on the 1g spindles, but of course it hasn't been 100% proven yet! I did manage to get the bigger SI calipers with them so we'll see where this goes. But HUGE kudos to you and Hazwan for pioneering this stuff. I know 1G lude stuff is not taken into account alot of times but I always keep tabs with you guys because of similar setups we both have!

http://www.g1preludes.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=454

My Project Site - WWW.G1PRELUDES.COM
    Current Ride - 1980 Honda Prelude XR
    SN Fanatic

Vehicle

Hey that's awesome man! Credit for me goes to 79Cord, who had most of this writeup on his CarDomain. I only had a few small issues to deal with compared to him!

It's good to see this info posted up here too though! Not only is it useful to other Prelude guys, but it shows us that there are some other options for swapping parts around. So we do appreciate it! When you get your brake swap done, I would love a how-to written up, and we can stick it in the Classic Prelude section!

EDIT: Just saw your link. Perhaps we could just link to that thread. But it would be nice to have the information mirrored here, in case something happens there. It's so weird how your spindle is removable! Amazing those 4 bolts hold it all together!

Also where did you get the diagram for the XXR? Been trying to find more diagrams like that with parts lookups for overseas models but haven't had much luck.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 10-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Vehicle
    '80 Honda Prelude XR

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Hey that's awesome man! Credit for me goes to 79Cord, who had most of this writeup on his CarDomain.
    Same here too! Forgot to mention him as it was the first post I ever read about doing it.

It's good to see this info posted up here too though! Not only is it useful to other Prelude guys, but it shows us that there are some other options for swapping parts around. So we do appreciate it! When you get your brake swap done, I would love a how-to written up, and we can stick it in the Classic Prelude section!
    I'd love too, anything to help anyone else for compatibility questions regarding this project. Hopefully I'll have it worked out by spring of next year. I will definitely keep you guys posted!

I was a little amazed at the spindle too after looking through all the parts diagrams on Hondapartsnow.com. It seems the 2nd gen civic's had the removable spindle as well and I can only assume that after Hazwan's 2G civic drum swap on his accord proved the spacing is different for the four bolts, as he had to drill 2 new holes to make it mount. So I guess what I'm saying is the removable spindles from the 1st gen lude and 2nd gen civic have different bolt spacing. Seeing how the 2g lude setup will bolt right up to the 2g accord, I can only assume 2g civics have the same spacing!

As for the XXR pictures......Lets just say that I've been collecting the 8 JDM parts books for 3 years now for the 1G lude and finally came across it earlier this year from a bookstore in Japan. It was like literally owning the bible when I got it. It's reference overload for me, not sure if that makes me a Honda wacko or not! lol
    SN Fanatic

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Awesomeness (Y)

Keep us updated!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Total awesomeness! That explains that guy who welded an Integra spindle onto the 2g Civic. I couldn't figure out what was going on in his pics... here:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3061153&page=2

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

The idea of welding those spindles on was surprising since the spindles on the 2gCivic/1gPrelude bolt-on just like those of later Civic & Integra, even though most '90's Civic forums seem to suggest replacing the whole rear arm; those mounting bolts must be ridiculously tight & hard to undo - He did say he cut them off!. Shame the bolt pattern sounds like it is so far off from making it easy.
    I had wondered if replacing the axle spindles like that might not be a better idea for the 1g Prelude if the bolt pattern matched, since it would take the more readily available later hubs/bearings/disc rotors. But having to machine them to fit together properly & not just bolt them would be a pain.

Poached the picture for the lazy...
    Wonder if that interface was any different for 1gIntegra/CRX with rear discs.. but they also mounted their calipers MUCH higher up since they only had the simple torsion beam rear suspension so I guess they'd be inappropriate any way.
    We're lucky the 2gAccord/Prelude spindles/bearings and bolt pattern were carried over from the Accord.
    I have bought another set of 2g rear discs to try on my Prelude one day... but it needs other attention more now (that it isn't getting either). Having to bolt right through the caliper bracket and spindle mounting to the rear strut bottom sound a little off-putting.
    Last edited by 79cord; 10-04-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Vehicle
    '80 Honda Prelude XR

Total awesomeness! That explains that guy who welded an Integra spindle onto the 2g Civic. I couldn't figure out what was going on in his pics... here:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3061153&page=2
    I've read that thread before too wondering the same thing until I found out us lude owners have a similar setup. It's all extremely interesting to note!
    SN Fanatic

DX User
    Vehicle
    1980 Honda Accord lx hatch

Wow, my head is spinning after reading this entire thread and cross-referrencing each link etc...but awesome job on the frontier here!

Did the comprehensive writeup get released yet ;-)

So what ive gathered is that to convert to 4x100 the front of my 1980 lx HB while maintaining the stock axle shafts..

i need 2g civic hubs and 4g civic calipers and rotors, and countersunk allen bolts on the carrier retainer

And the rears i can use the drums and backing plates off a 2g civic and will only need to redrill 2 mounting holes on the backing plate

...sound right??

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Yes that sounds right according to what we know so far, though a question mark may still remain for the 'square-ended' 1980 drive-shafts. They retained the old spline pattern but were not tapered afterward which might foul with Civic hubs if they were designed for tapered shafts like the ones I have seen. They might fit together though & there might be 'squared' Civic shafts/hubs out there? Or the small seal that fits in the hub-carrier between the two may be the deciding factor?
    Incompatability may also only be one way, ie tapered shafts into squared hubs or vice-versa.
    I have seen '80? Accords that had one of each driveshaft type fitted while other '80 Accord owners have said they couldn't fit pre'80? tapered driveshafts to their cars with the original Accord 'squared' hubs.

Edit:
    Just remembered something that may explain or compound that conundrum further... my '81 Prelude (large spline pattern & normally squared driveshafts), had apparently been fitted with an aftermarket d-shaft with tapered ends. Though when dis-assembled to replace rubber CV joint covers I also found their CV joint cage broken.
    Last edited by 79cord; 05-05-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I've learned something, its easier to bring your old CV joint to the parts store/yard and see what hubs fits exactly rather than ordering online and hope that you get the right thing. Knowing Honda and their stupid little changes, what works for 2ndGenGuy, me and 79cord probably won't work for you.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Man, I can't believe the driveshafts are different between 80 and 81. I thought everything was identical between the cars. Jebus... Something changes EVERY YEAR.

I guess maybe the other alternative for your 80 is to replace your driveshafts with shafts from an 81, and use the 82-83 Accord hubs and wheel bearings. My 81 shafts bolted right into the 82 hubs without issue. If you buy a "hub repair kit" from some place like Rock Auto, you should get the wheel bearings and hubs together as a kit.

You will want to verify that the wheel bearings in your 80 have the same OD and width as the bearings from the 81/82/83.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Man, I can't believe the driveshafts are different between 80 and 81. I thought everything was identical between the cars. Jebus... Something changes EVERY YEAR.

I guess maybe the other alternative for your 80 is to replace your driveshafts with shafts from an 81, and use the 82-83 Accord hubs and wheel bearings. My 81 shafts bolted right into the 82 hubs without issue. If you buy a "hub repair kit" from some place like Rock Auto, you should get the wheel bearings and hubs together as a kit.

You will want to verify that the wheel bearings in your 80 have the same OD and width as the bearings from the 81/82/83.
    Oh God 81 axle won't even fit the 82/83 let alone the 84/85 on the MDM models. And nope it didn't fit on the 79 hubs either what the fuck Honda?!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1980 Honda Accord lx hatch

Oh wow, it seems like every single year has surprises!!

Hows it coming!!

Vehicle
    1984 Prelude

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. I've got an '84 Prelude 1.8 with 4 wheel disc. I'm trying to find replacement hubs for the front and I'm encountering a lot of trouble. I thought about finding something similar and machining it down, unless someone knows which other year/car fits close. Thanks

Vehicle
    1984 Prelude

I finally got a knuckle off an 85 accord. The knucle was different but the hub was the same. Good to see my baby back on the road.