Thread: Lower temp thermostat??

Vehicle
    1986 LX-i Hatch 5 speed, 2005 Pontiac GTO 6 speed, 96 Honda Civic EX 5 speed

Question Lower temp thermostat??

Is there any performance benefit to using a 180 degree or 160 degree thermostat instead of the factory one which I think is a 195 degree? I know these would make the engine run cooler but would they make it run too cold and not run in closed loop mode as the car should? Currently my temp gauge sits at 190 when cruising but can climb to 220-225 when I run it hard. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
    Adam

Re: Lower temp thermostat??

Stick with the OE temperature.
    I think you have other issues with the car if it's overheating under load, either a stuck t-stat, dirty radiator, or head gasket leak. getting a lower temp tstat will only mask the problem and may cause new ones.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by POS carb View Post
    Stick with the OE temperature.
    I think you have other issues with the car if it's overheating under load, either a stuck t-stat, dirty radiator, or head gasket leak. getting a lower temp tstat will only mask the problem and may cause new ones.

I wasn't saying that I have a problem... It's pretty normal for an engine's coolant to heat up when you push the engine to make more power (which is really just more heat) Mine never goes past 220F cause that's when the fans turn on normally anyway. I don't overheat but all the old school guys run cooler tstats in their muscle cars and I was wondering why and if it would benefit our cars some how. Would it force the computer to run in open loop mode (terrible fuel millage) or what would the effects be?

Thanks in advance
    Adam
    _________ _______

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Half sized rad + not enough cfm fan + traffic +summertime = overheating. A thermostat with a lower opening temp is better for this + for anyone who runs their car hard frequently imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

There are benefits to doing that on some motors, modified motors.
    There are better ways to accomplish those benfits. Ive mostly seen that done on pre obd2 larger displacement engines, they would also add a adjustable resistance dash control that connected to the ECT that would trick the ECM into thinking the motor was colder than it acually was.
    You want these motors to heat up properly so Id say use the 190.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    Half sized rad + not enough cfm fan + traffic +summertime = overheating. A thermostat with a lower opening temp is better for this + for anyone who runs their car hard frequently imo.
    I have a full size rad and fans, but I do run the car hard often so I'm thinking of going with the 180F tstat to help it stay cooler. Is there a down side to doing this?

Thanks guys
    Adam
    _________ _______

if it's fuel injected stay with the oe temp
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

I believe the OE temperature is 180 degrees; that is what I got when I replaced the t-stat in mine (it had the 160 degrees) if I remember right from the service manual (which can be had here)
    In very cold climates, it may made sense to use a hotter thermostat, and conversely use a colder thermostat in very hot climates.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by gtoman View Post
    Would it force the computer to run in open loop mode (terrible fuel millage) Adam

This.

If your using the oem ecu there is no benefit.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

your thermostat only determines the lowest temperature your engines runs, what ever it's rated at,that's the lowest temp, the highest temp is determined by the cooling system and whether it's working right or not, if you don't like the high temps it's running you can use a better radiator,better fans,water wetter etc, as long as it can reach the factory thermostat temp the computer will be fine

Vehicle

Im hearing good advice. Im going to leave the factory temp tstat and do a flush and fill, add water wetter and observe. If needed I'll add a fan with high cfm flow which I can control and set to come on at a lower temp. Like maybe 205.

Thanks guys
    Adam
    _________ _______

SEi User

I don't run a tstat in mine as at 8500rpm it has a habbit of trying to suck it through the thermostat housing into the head! lol! But it is a race/track car that's only driven on the road in summer so it's fine on a daily or road only car I'd stick with normal one if your climate's pretty mild lower temp one if your in very hot climate like Texas or Australia etc.

DX User

I thought about getting a lower temp termo. Well because i was looking into mugen parts for the accord but they are so rare. So i was browsing the mugen site and they have low temp termos for civic and integra type r, but im not sure if they will fit the accord. I have a 91 ford explorer as well and for it i bought a 3 row racing radiator. Maybe if you get a 3 row racing radiator without a low temp termo, then maybe you'll get the same results as getting a low temp radiator. My explore stays a little cooler than normal never goes over; even if i push it hard.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

to be honest i dont know if the teg or civic one will fit. they make aftermarket units at napa auto parts. i would only recommend lower thermostat if you are going to be road racing or reving the engine high. in the end it does not matter because the fan switch will only turn on at a certain temp. save your money and dont waste it.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

220 is fairly hot/warm for our cars. I have a mechanical gauge in my sedan and my coupe.

coupe is a 1988 lxi, completely stock, stock radiator nothing has been removed.
    sedan is 1988 lx, FULL wire and bay delete/tuck, triflow regrind cam, 38/38 weber, pacesetter, eg dual core half rad.

Both of my cars stay around 170 on the interstate (5k rpm constant)
    Both of my car stay around 180 and can go up to 190 when idling

Take in mind, our stock thermostat gauge is super unreliable. any temp between 175 and 240 is completely normal by specification and does NOT make our needle move.

when my car hits 210-230 its close to busting a hose and will start causing problems.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I know right, I think thats why from a engineering standpoint for a publicly marketed vehicle its safe to just use C-H with no numbers
    It does make a difference where the sensor is located though, I had to extend the A20a1 wire for tbe temp sensor to reach the B20a T stat housing, the guage barely gets over 1/8 th where as any a20 car Ive had the guage reads about 1/2 way at normal.
    Its just good to remember where normal usually is for any car youre going to be driving regularly