Thread: Whats best for my car?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord Dx

Whats best for my car?

So i have a 89 Accord DX. Its mainly stock. Carberated (soon to be removed). But i wanted to know what engine would be best? I want alot of power and iv been told that the H22A is a good choice but need to know a good transmission to go with it. I want shorter gears wile still being able to open up more on the highway. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thank you.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-i

Re: Whats best for my car?

Welcome to 3geez my friend

The h22 swap is a hard one man. There are b series mounts for our cars now. Easiest swap to be done. b16 tranny if you can get one

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord Dx

Quote Originally Posted by SeanSelander View Post
    Welcome to 3geez my friend

The h22 swap is a hard one man. There are b series mounts for our cars now. Easiest swap to be done. b16 tranny if you can get one
    Yeah after reading up on it i see what you mean. Well what b series motor would you suggest?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

What are you looking for in an engine? Do you want VTEC? Are you looking to add a turbo or supercharger? Nitrous? Is this a daily driver, a weekend car, a street/track car, or a race car?

The only engine family we can easily swap to is the B series. If you don't want VTEC or anything like that, an Accord B20 would work, but you'll have to get the engine and transmission from an importer. We had one version that made 160HP back in the 80's, which was amazing at the time for a 2 liter naturally aspirated engine.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
    Yeah after reading up on it i see what you mean. Well what b series motor would you suggest?
    for racecar lulz b18c1 or turbo ls vtec w/ b16 tran

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord Dx

OK so after checking some stuff out, I would like to go to b18c or a b20? ? But can i use any b sires transmission? if so would the b16 work? Eventually i would like to put is a turbo. But thats later.

Also i would like to know the link to the post about converting from carb to FI? Or would it be cheaper to just keep it carb?

I also have ti problem that only happends when its hot out, but ill turn the key off and my car will try and keep running.???

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
    OK so after checking some stuff out, I would like to go to b18c or a b20? ? But can i use any b sires transmission? if so would the b16 work? Eventually i would like to put is a turbo. But thats later.

Also i would like to know the link to the post about converting from carb to FI? Or would it be cheaper to just keep it carb?

I also have ti problem that only happends when its hot out, but ill turn the key off and my car will try and keep running.???
    Hmm, I'd try the ignition switch and if that doesnt work check the electrical system. I honestly don't know much about carb setups so that's also a possibility I suppose

As for which engine,

here's a built b18c1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OSYAY57Ljs

here's a built b20a : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg75W9-WrWk

I think the b20a is a little more built but it's a comparison. Also, I don't know how much you have to spend as those setups would cost a loot of money.

Stock b18c1 :

hp 170
    torque 128 ft lbs

Stock b20a

hp 160
    torque 137
    Last edited by SeanSelander; 09-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

When you say it tries to keep running, does it run like a diesel? If so, that's called dieseling. I'd start by checking out all of the vacuum hoses and gaskets for leaks. From there, I'd suspect that the carburetor itself has an issue.

As for the EFI swap, there's a lot of information here on it. The main how to is in the How To section at the top of the main forum. At one time the most comprehensive walk through for the swap. There have been quite a few conversions done, so I'd search the forums, as each one is unique in that you're going to run into issues no one else has before. Of course, if you're not in a state that requires an emissions test, there's always MegaSquirt.