Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 80 Accord Hatch: Electrical issue

DX User

Re: 80 Accord Hatch: Electrical issue

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    I think you cut the wires from the key switch for nothing, I'm positive there is a very low voltage due to a bad connection between the fuse box and the battery, there's enough current to allow the LEDS to light,but if you try and pull anymore it can't flow in the circuit
    Starting to get that feeling as well... I've already replaced the 55A Fusible link, and both battery cables and terminals are brand new as of the problem starting. Not 100% sure it died when I went over a bump, it was more of me dropping my speeds and it just dying.

Not sure what you mean by jumpering the fuse... and I still don't know how to fix the power to my 8 fuses.

edit: Gonna test my fuses again with my toggles flipped on to see if they are getting power as well.. do the best I can to figure out what is going on, using what I have to work with as a wiring diagram.

Does anyone know where the Regulator is?

edit: Cooling fan fuse gets power when I hit my ignition toggles. I read that the cooling fan fuse also powers the ignition and ignition coil?

Still losing power when I flip dome light, headlight, hit brake. Haven't tested any other things, not a lot to this car... Pushed in and moved around most of the wires I could. Didn't find anything that seemed weird really. Month away from the meet, I got time.. just gonna be really paranoid once it gets running again. Haven't been able to find any 3geez members in Oregon. If any of you are planning overnighters, feel free to come down a day or two early and help me out. :P
    Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Voltage regulator is on the inner fender next to the battery. It's underneath that fuse that you replaced. I am kinda running out of ideas myself.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Voltage regulator is on the inner fender next to the battery. It's underneath that fuse that you replaced. I am kinda running out of ideas myself.
    Same boat as you... no idea what to do really. I'm gonna check the voltage regulator to see if its getting power, because it is closer to the battery.

Vehicle

Have you checked all the aftermarket stereo wiring for shorts? I've seen some pretty ghetto stereo work done. Unfused wiring, big gauge wiring touching the body. Was there perhaps an alarm on the car at some point?

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Have you checked all the aftermarket stereo wiring for shorts? I've seen some pretty ghetto stereo work done. Unfused wiring, big gauge wiring touching the body. Was there perhaps an alarm on the car at some point?
    I HIGHLY doubt there was an alarm on the car.. and new update: I checked the voltage regulator I think and I couldnt really find any power in it, went to go trace wires and check Ohms for an improper ground under the dash. Fuse box has no power no, and my toggles don't turn on. So it is 100% dead. I don't know what I am doing and I REALLY shouldn't be doing this, all I am good for is turning a wrench... I made the problem worse, and unknown if it was terminal.

Surprised car hasn't been towed yet.. I'm gonna push it forward a couple feet and wipe the windows of tree debris. Not sure what actions I'll take next... Asking around for Oregon 3geez members has not turned up anything for me. I'm not sure if I can justify paying $200 for a tow, and $300 to a mechanic when not everyone works on older cars.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I HIGHLY doubt there was an alarm on the car.. and new update: I checked the voltage regulator I think and I couldnt really find any power in it, went to go trace wires and check Ohms for an improper ground under the dash. Fuse box has no power no, and my toggles don't turn on. So it is 100% dead. I don't know what I am doing and I REALLY shouldn't be doing this, all I am good for is turning a wrench... I made the problem worse, and unknown if it was terminal.

Surprised car hasn't been towed yet.. I'm gonna push it forward a couple feet and wipe the windows of tree debris. Not sure what actions I'll take next... Asking around for Oregon 3geez members has not turned up anything for me. I'm not sure if I can justify paying $200 for a tow, and $300 to a mechanic when not everyone works on older cars.
    find a way to get it home and I'll help you work through this, someone has to have the manual if I had the electrical manual check your battery voltage again maby the alternator wasn't charging and its something as simple as a dead or bad battery, you can have a terminal that looks tight be over corrosion and not function

DX User

find a way to get it home and I'll help you work through this, someone has to have the manual if I had the electrical manual check your battery voltage again maby the alternator wasn't charging and its something as simple as a dead or bad battery, you can have a terminal that looks tight be over corrosion and not function
    Battery is at 12.56 still...

I cant afford to just replace stuff on the hunch that it will fix the car anymore... I did that already and shelled $100 on wires, cables, tools, grease, etc..

I really can't explain what is going on, and I really don't know what I am doing... I check my battery every time and everyone keeps saying check my battery... Car has to turn on for alternator to work.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Can you take your battery out and bring it to an Autozone or a simlar parts store and have them test it, they will at least tell you if it doesnt have any charge.

I'm in the same boat that think either your battery is dead or there is a connection issue between your battery and main fuse box or inside the fuse box.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Battery is at 12.56 still...

I cant afford to just replace stuff on the hunch that it will fix the car anymore... I did that already and shelled $100 on wires, cables, tools, grease, etc..

I really can't explain what is going on, and I really don't know what I am doing... I check my battery every time and everyone keeps saying check my battery... Car has to turn on for alternator to work.
    take a wire and jumper the two terminals coming into the 55 amp fuse, disconnect the battery first so you don't short them, then hook the battery up and see if the dome light etc comes on,those terminal blocks can develop issues

DX User

take a wire and jumper the two terminals coming into the 55 amp fuse, disconnect the battery first so you don't short them, then hook the battery up and see if the dome light etc comes on,those terminal blocks can develop issues
    Take a power wire (I only got 12g from wiring toggles), strip both ends, and attach each end to the screws where the 55A is? Will this kill my new 55A Fusible link? I've only got one of these terminal block fusible links and its the one coming from my positive battery terminal.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Can you take your battery out and bring it to an Autozone or a simlar parts store and have them test it, they will at least tell you if it doesnt have any charge.

I'm in the same boat that think either your battery is dead or there is a connection issue between your battery and main fuse box or inside the fuse box.
    been there done it already...

Vehicle

Take a power wire (I only got 12g from wiring toggles), strip both ends, and attach each end to the screws where the 55A is? Will this kill my new 55A Fusible link? I've only got one of these terminal block fusible links and its the one coming from my positive battery terminal.
    no it won't kill it you are seeing if it's not allowing current to get past, didn't you say you had a test lamp? in this case that's your best option since you have a bad connection the alligator clip goes to a good ground and then start checking each terminal starting from the batty through that fusible link and keep following it, the heavy white wire, eventually you'll find a place where there is no voltage and you have found the issue, you can do this

Vehicle

has someone got an electrical diagram for this car so I can help him?

Vehicle

I just dusted off my 73-88 Accord Chiltons manual let me look at it

DX User

I just dusted off my 73-88 Accord Chiltons manual let me look at it
    I've tried following said wires, they are shrink wrapped so its kinda hard because they split off and I've no idea what is going where.

I've got a multimeter and a test light. I've just been clipping it to the fender nut on the engine bay. The thing is.. when a wire splits off in to multiple wires, I'm not sure what I am really following.. and once it goes back behind my firewall, then what?

Vehicle

I've tried following said wires, they are shrink wrapped so its kinda hard because they split off and I've no idea what is going where.

I've got a multimeter and a test light. I've just been clipping it to the fender nut on the engine bay. The thing is.. when a wire splits off in to multiple wires, I'm not sure what I am really following.. and once it goes back behind my firewall, then what?
    it splits because one goes to the alternator and one goes to the fuse box under the dash, did you test for voltage from the battery through the fusible link?

DX User

it splits because one goes to the alternator and one goes to the fuse box under the dash, did you test for voltage from the battery through the fusible link?
    It has voltage. I didn't jumper it or anything... its pretty proper..

Vehicle

It has voltage. I didn't jumper it or anything... its pretty proper..
    how do you know it has voltage,don't use the meter use the test light, the meter will register voltage even when no current can flow, jumper the link for a minute and see if the lights come on or anything

DX User

how do you know it has voltage,don't use the meter use the test light, the meter will register voltage even when no current can flow, jumper the link for a minute and see if the lights come on or anything
    Because I have used the test light and the meter before. I'll do it in the morning, it's dark now. Updates tomorrow! Thank you

Vehicle

try jumping it with another battery,sometimes the cables partly break internally at the clamps, the digital meter will still show voltage even though the connection is bad and current won't flow through the circuit, the fact that it did this after hitting the pothole is telling me something is loose

DX User

try jumping it with another battery,sometimes the cables partly break internally at the clamps, the digital meter will still show voltage even though the connection is bad and current won't flow through the circuit, the fact that it did this after hitting the pothole is telling me something is loose
    There was no pot hole...?

Vehicle

... I was wondering about that. I thought I missed something.

Vehicle

Have we eliminated grounding issues altogether?
    Also maybe I missed it but have you been able to check the circuit that the previous owner had put those bad fuses into? I.E. I'm still wondering if those circuits got too hot somewhere and fried/melted some other wires in the process. Higher amperage = More heat. So if a bad connection had caused one fuse to blow, and he just put a higher amp fuse in, yeah the circuit might work again for a bit, but the wires carrying the juice would overheat from the extra amperage draw....possibly melting, and taking other wires with it.

I would
    A: Check your main grounds around the battery...
    B: Check that voltage regulator (It's the big black or brass colored box on the inner fender, right near the fusible link) a broken one could cause too much amperage (although that should pop your fusible link, or make your battery stink like hell as well from overcharging). I'll need to look up the way to test it for you but I'm doubtful it's the problem....
    C: Trace (as best you can) the wiring for the circuit those toggles are bypassing....the original circuit is probably the problem, and like I said, when they fried out they may have taken other wires with them.

I still intend to do that vid man...like I promised on FB. I'm gonna walk you through some basics, and maybe point you in the right direction. I'm no wizard but I'm OK at this stuff and I'll tell you what I can. I've just been pretty busy the last few days but I still got your back!
    Pick and Pull run tomorrow!
    I need to crash, but when I'm home I will scan in the wiring schematic from an 81 (Which is confusing as hell, even when you know what you're looking at). I will also scan in the diagram of the wiring harnesses and the terminal guide. That way we can at least get an idea of where you need to look for the suspected circuits. Oh, and since I'm lazy....what circuits did those toggle switches bypass?

P.S. Even a battery showing 12 volts can be mostly dead. What counts is amperage...which sadly needs to be tested at a shop or autozone and the like. So i may have missed it but I just want your assurance that battery IS up to par (Sorry, not trying to be a doubter...just tryin to cover the bases).

Anyhow....BEDTIME!!!

Vehicle

if you can get the manuals get someone to put them on the wiki too with the other electrical manuals, if I can see a diagram I can figure it out, I still think he needs to try a jump start from another battery first.

Vehicle

"I still think he needs to try a jump start from another battery first."

I second that....I'm still not sold on that battery....like I said, even a mostly dead battery will put out 12 volts....remember a battery the size of your thumb can put out 9volts alone...it's amperage that counts. low amperage from a mostly dead battery would also explain the weak lights.