Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT , TURBO ( bobafett )

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    yeah the built motor NA will happen in a couple months... and the boosted part... who knows? maybe thats a good goal for the beginning of next race season... :P

my car may not be pretty enough for AOM, but hopefully it will be quick enough

well now the turbo timers thats a load of marketing bs. Your gonna tell me your gonna leave a manual tranny in neutral for a whole extra minute. My understanding in perspective and general knowledge, the turbo itself runs in a given range. Unless you rev hard and shutdown you not really gonna do a whole lotta damage. Its been my understanding if you run kinda soft for the last mile and worst case scenerio just sit in the car at idle for a minute your good but even thats not nessecary. I like the scramble because it gives you an extra program on to of the others. Liek I said. 1 for street, one for race and a quick 45 secong scramble for a smoke show or dyno pull.

I think the problems with most EBC is the controller itself and the installation. Im not knocking adams b20a install. It sounds like he did everything he could but I wonder if a silicone line is a better tool than a rubber line for such applications. Who knows that may be what he used but ultimatly it was the hose itself that failed not the controller.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..
    with an oil cooled turbo, the timer is not necessarily b.s., and 9.5:1 is fine
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 08-23-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Vehicle
    well given that im a student who commutes an hour to work and an hour to school, im late all the time... a turbo timer IS going to be useful for me. its definetly a good investment for how cheap they are. i may not always be able to wait for a couple minutes for my turbo to cool down. anyone know of a harness that works for the 3g for a turbo timer?

well it wouldnt be the first time I had a different opinion. Im not going to run one uless it seems beneficial in some way. Thats just me. I dont understand how an oil cooled turbo would change anything in my statement. If you drive normal or easy for the last few limutes or last mile or so or even just sit in the car for a minute the turbo isnt under load or stress thus creating a cycle time to cool down properly. is my thinking incorrect or is the theory wrong?

Vehicle
    '90 RX-7 GXL, '93 Mazda Rx-7
    motec ownz
    Kroy: Im a pro at smoking a blunt, talking on my cell, getting head, and shifting all at once

Vehicle
    1998 VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilPenciler
    motec ownz
    MOTEC is Aussie built & designed ECU

Also with compression even 10.5:1 is fine.

I know the the VW Golf GTI's run turbo and 10.5:1 (was looking at one yesterday)
    Cocaine's A Helluva Drug! - Rick James
    I really fracked things up for you Bill - Colonel Tigh
    Girl we couldn't get much Higher! - Light My Fire

Vehicle
    im sure i could run 16:1 if i WANTED to... the point is, is it practical to run 9.5:1 on a turboed street car, with ghettodyne style tuning...which im starting to believe it is. but now i really need to figure out what i would be doing for fuel and tuning.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    Its all in the tuning and my other motor was 9:1 and i was going to do 9.5:1 but i dont feel like blowing another $500 on pistons so im going back to my 8.5:1. Reliability issues arrise from poor quality parts and poor tuning. If built right it will last a reasonable time granted boost will take away some life due to higher power output. My friend has a 450hp Nissan SER that made 70,000 miles before it needed a rebuild and that was hard driving so in my eyes thats great considering the boost level and power output.

Boost brings a lot of headaches as i found out granted its a custom setup that has not been done before.

hey rob whats all done to that ser. Ive got friend whos done a bunch. he knows im into engines and all so he asks me only i wont waste my time on an a nissan so if you could just ask then tell me that would be cool. Thanks.

Vehicle
    interesting rob... what was your tuning plan going to be with 9.5:1?

i would consider going lower CR, but im not committed to turboing the car yet. i mean i want to of course, but its nothing concrete. i just figure if the motor is already built, might as well boost it ya know... kinda overkill and low CR to make NA power. :P

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe
    hey rob whats all done to that ser. Ive got friend whos done a bunch. he knows im into engines and all so he asks me only i wont waste my time on an a nissan so if you could just ask then tell me that would be cool. Thanks.
    Fully built and sleeved and i know he has a pretty big tubro cant recall which one (maybe the GT35R).

As for tuning i still have the AEM EMS and probably will use the same tuner again. This time around its getting build by the best in the business so hopefully no bad news this time around.

Vehicle
    hmm. EMS is definetly nice it would cost me $3k to get the module, extra's i would need, and installation and a solid tune from guys that are really good with the EMS...

im thinking i want to go the route of obd1 + uberdata or something along those lines... i need to get my extra head so i can play with distributors!

he sais extra head. If you find it let me know i could use some of that also. oh and Im not talking about the b20a head rob has either.

Vehicle
    I paid $2300 for my AEM EMS, AEM CDI Ignition, 3.5 bar map sensor and my AEM Wideband. So if you shop around you can manage it for less i just wanted the extra stuff from AEM.

Vehicle
    did u install the AEM yourself? the $3500 figure was installed and tuned... 2300 for the goodies that you have is not a bad deal at all though!

Vehicle
    Install is easy its the setup/tuning thats the issue but i know there are a few good shops out your way that can do the EMS well. I got a package deal and if you wait a few months AEM is coming out with a OBD-0 EMS which will plug into the accord harness. The retail prices are high but ebay has cheap prices usually around $1279.

Vehicle
    interesting, that would be a good possibility. www.torquefreaks.com is 5 minutes from me, they are familiar with EMS ;-)

Vehicle
    I hear about a guy from there on occassion that tunes aem. If you think you would get the AEM you should register on the the AEM forums then you can see who has a decent rep and all that good stuff. Also honda-tech lets rumors out fast so bad tuners usually get put up fast so you can also see who's a decent tuner that way but dont go by one persons impressions get a collective source of info. This is why my guy comes over 10hrs away granted my tuning sessions have never gone smoothly but w/o him i would have spent countless hours figuring out stupid crap. So its worth the extra money for the right tuner but your setup has to be up to par as well especially since the tuner wont be familiar with the limits of the A20A

Re: PROJECT , TURBO ( bobafett )

bump for progress and all the non running turbo accords.(including mine )

Vehicle

Where to begin?

Motor etc is all set, still not completely broken in though. I have the car totally stripped out again and I am going to rewire all of my gauge and switches since the car is carpetless now.

Yesterday I installed my external kill switch for the car, so that I can race at my local track with a battery relocation kit.

Finishing up progress on my crank trigger sensor bracket, and I will be using an Electromotive tecGT standalone engine management system.

The next steps are getting the EMS installed, stripping out more of the wires and crap that I don't need out of the engine bay, and getting a civic radiator installed, so that I can actually fit my turbo and manifold into the engine bay.

From there I am going to build a custom bumper support so that I can fit a tallish intercooler on the car and get the fmic and charge piping ran.

Once all that is figured out I am going to have to come up with a solution for a downpipe, which may or may not be damn near impossible.

After I get the wires stripped out and gauges and other junk installed I will take some pictures of my progress, right now it is a total mess. But I am working on it constantly still.

Vehicle
    lookin

thats it? no new info? commin.. cant leave a guy in the dark.. is it done? in? lol.. lets hear it!!!
    'honda makes people happy'

i just noticed you have been working on it for 5 years!!!!
    get the lead out...this s.o.b. better run better than high 10's for 5 years of work.
    you need to(get off the computer)and get in the garage and dust off those tools....

lol j/k how you getting along with the build?

Vehicle

haha rub it in!

I have my crank trigger sensor and modified crank pulley back finally. I am still working on getting the engine management finished up. I am getting the EMS in trade, and have not completed my end of the bargain yet. I am creating a new website for electromotive,and it's still a work in progress.

http://electromotive.dept25.com/ feel free to check it out.
    Their old site is here: http://electromotive-inc.com/

I need to figure out a final plan for the exhaust manifold and dp strategy. Some days I look at it, and see lots of room to route piping, other days I look at it and think there is no way in hell I could fit even a 1" dp in there. lol...

I go back in forth debating whether or not I need to build a new manifold that would make plumbing easier. On the other hand I could easily get a set of traction bars built ($$$) and I would have plenty of room for pipe routing.

The intercooler I have had my eye on is finally back in stock, so I will be getting that soon I hope. Then I will pick up a radiator and pull the trigger on that business.

Honestly I have just been so busy I haven't spent any time working on the car. Once I get the EMS in my hands I will get the car running and tuned up NA, break in the motor etc, and resume the boost project. Its been over 2 years since the car has really even been driven more than when I moved.

It is getting lonely and needing some attentions.

Believe me if I had cool updates I would post them. I think that 10's are probably out of reach, but I do hope to hit 11's. Its not going to be johnny-o or jason budd fast. ;-)

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Low Tek View Post
    thats it? no new info? commin.. cant leave a guy in the dark.. is it done? in? lol.. lets hear it!!!
    he has been posting updated info but just not on this thread !