Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT , TURBO ( bobafett )

Re: PROJECT , TURBO ( bobafett )

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    haha rub it in!

I have my crank trigger sensor and modified crank pulley back finally. I am still working on getting the engine management finished up. I am getting the EMS in trade, and have not completed my end of the bargain yet. I am creating a new website for electromotive,and it's still a work in progress.

http://electromotive.dept25.com/ feel free to check it out.
    Their old site is here: http://electromotive-inc.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by 89turbo'ed
    nice site! you got me one too, it just hasnt shipped out yet right.... lol.
    I need to figure out a final plan for the exhaust manifold and dp strategy. Some days I look at it, and see lots of room to route piping, other days I look at it and think there is no way in hell I could fit even a 1" dp in there. lol...
    theres only one way to figure it out...start cutting and tacking
    I go back in forth debating whether or not I need to build a new manifold that would make plumbing easier. On the other hand I could easily get a set of traction bars built ($$$) and I would have plenty of room for pipe routing.
    refer to previous quote
    The intercooler I have had my eye on is finally back in stock, so I will be getting that soon I hope. Then I will pick up a radiator and pull the trigger on that business.

Honestly I have just been so busy I haven't spent any time working on the car. Once I get the EMS in my hands I will get the car running and tuned up NA, break in the motor etc, and resume the boost project. Its been over 2 years since the car has really even been driven more than when I moved.
    multi-task is the key.....put a laptop in the garage..that's what i did.
    It is getting lonely and needing some attentions.
    ooh!you need some privacy!
    Believe me if I had cool updates I would post them. I think that 10's are probably out of reach, but I do hope to hit 11's. Its not going to be johnny-o or jason budd fast. ;-)
    this thread is worthless with out a running car and 11 second time slips!

sorry bobbafett, i thought i would have a little fun..

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

oh nobody wants it finished more than me (except maybe my wife so i am done working on it lol).

all in good time, I have become very very patient. plus i keep modding my wrx, and we just bought a sweet forester, so cash flow is limited.

you know i am just giving you a hard time. the wrx has got to be a fun car!

Vehicle

Okay here is another update:

I have my civic radiator now.
    I have my FMIC now
    I have all of my charge piping bends and couplers, and we have a pretty solid start on routing but nothing cut perfect yet.

I am probably going to modify the stock bumper beam today and see about getting fmic mounted and bumper modded for intercooler. with any luck we can get the cold side pipes done, and possibly the radiator mounting all finished up.

Pics later today if I am feeling motivated. You will also get pics of the crank pulley and trigger wheel if I take pics today.

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

oh nobody wants it finished more than me (except maybe my wife so i am done working on it lol).

all in good time, I have become very very patient. plus i keep modding my wrx, and we just bought a sweet forester, so cash flow is limited.
    Man i'm glade my wife's not the only one that feels this way. Yeah mine is slow going now to but it's down to the last little bit. I'm right behind with the bobafett. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Vehicle

So today was a big day for the accord! Big thanks to Zeph (zufer on the forum) for all of his work...

We definitely made a lot of progress:

Zeph cut the shit out of my stock bumper beam with a cut off wheel in a 4" makita grinder until we could hang my intercooler up there. I am using a 29" x 6" x 2.5" bar and plate intercooler from www.siliconeintakes.com

Once we had a few attempts at getting enough material cut out and cut off all the lips and tabs that were going to be in the way of intercooler piping we cleaned it up a bit and tried to make it less dangerous. It probably needs some rustoleum paint but I added some door trim molding to keep my from cuting myself when working around it. You can see the little black trim peice around the edge of where we cut.

We drilled two holes in the top of my bumper support beam to mount directly into the M8 x 1.25 pegs on the top of the intercooler. We used several washers in between the intercooler and the bottom side of the top of the bumper support, in order to push the intercooler far enough down. It lines up pretty well but we will need to trim the bumper more in order to slide the bumper all the way on. It is about an inch off right now.

-----

I had written this all out perfectly explaining what we did but it wouldn't let me post it and 'cancelled' my post for me so now I get to retype what I am willing to type or can remember......

-----

The civic radiator project was pretty fun. We started off reusing the stock lower passenger side mount and bushing. This puts the radiator in almost the perfect position, but we still needed to smack the hood with a hammer a couple times in order to allow the radiator cap and the upper mounting stud room to breath.

As you might notice, my upper radiator support is gone. I replaced it with a 1/8" thick piece of 1.5" angle aluminum. This allowed me to keep the radiator more vertical and not have to hack the shit out of the stock upper support. I just built some mounting tabs that went from the new upper radiator support to the front of the radiator, and bolted in where the stock upper fan mounts are located. I am using a 10" low profile aftermarket fan, so I do not need the stock fan mounting holes. It is really sturdy in there right now, and even with out lower drivers side support it is held in place very well by my upper supports. That being said I still plan on building a small aluminum tab with a grommet fitted to it to support the other post on the bottom of the radiator.

Because of the new upper support I will not be able to run the stock hood latch (my release was starting to get sketchy so no biggie) but I am happy to just run hood pins to make all that more simple.

-----

The charge pipe installation just sort of fell into place. We only used 2 45 degree couplers, 2 90 degree couplers, and 2.5 feet of straight tubing, the rest was silicone couplers. We used a couple of reducers for the throttle body and turbo outlet connections, but with the exception of one hump hose the rest were either 90 degree couplers or straight couplers.

It doesn't have all the clamps on it because we assumed we would need to modify the bends and cut a little bit. We did not have to cut ANYTHING except for the straight tube we needed in about 3 spots. Since it all came together so well we just left it on for now, but it could be all clamped up real quick and ready to run.

-----

I have some major concern on whether or not it will be possible to fit a downpipe on this setup, because the turbo placement will make that really tricky. But we got some 3" flexible ducting to try to mockup some bends to see if it is physically possible. We got it to work with the flexible ducting, so I believe that we can probably fit some sort of 2.5" downpipe in there if we get a really tight set of bends going.

-----

We made some good headway today, and there isn't a whole hell of a lot left to do.

I need to pick my injector size, get a downpipe and exhaust built, setup hood pins, and get my engine management solution in my hands. I can't think of a heck of a lot left to do beyond those steps. It will just be a matter of fine tuning the little issues and getting the car broken in the rest of the way and then tuned.

I can't wait!
    Last edited by bobafett; 01-06-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: fuck 3geez god damn image limit i had to retype ALL of this

yaurrrr

2ndGenGuy

Woah! Awesome man! Nice work! Not much further left to go. Can't wait to see it running man!

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

WOOT looks good,

i must say nice work.wait till you drive it.
    what's up with f**ck a20's on the timing belt lol.
    as far as injectors go it really doesn't matter what size you run.
    i am running rc 850's and their running at 45% duty cycle. i thought id add that just to give you an idea of where you'll be.

i hope you can figure out that down pipe,looks like it's going to be a bitch.

nice!
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

say where do you get those T-belts from, JDM? lol
    very nice project photos all in all

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

ahahhaha i noticed the fuck a20's cam belt too lol

Vehicle

yeah i wrote that on there when it took me like 30 tries to get my timing belt setup properly. because of the shaving and decking that went on with this motor the timing is DEFINITELY off quite a bit.

I would have everything lined up PERFECTLY and be off 1 to 2 teeth every time. On the upside on my motor (which has lots of stuff removed) I can change the timing belt in 15 minutes now.

We literally did it about 10-15 times a day for a few days...

Anyway the silver pen was to indicate which tooth on the cam gear or the timing belt needed to be lined up on. Eventually we got frustrated and FUCK A20'S was born.

I love my motor though so don't worry. The car started cooperating for a change which was pretty pleasant!

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

I like the progress!
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1990 Accord EX-R Turbo (stolen) 1996 Acura 3.5RL

well... now everybody and their mom is going to know youre turboed... for the best!

NICE work and VIVA LA SILICONEINTAKES.COM

who helped you with the radiator mount?looks like a good and simple solution

and

FUCK A20's
    Put on your gas masks... this shit runs rich

Vehicle

rad mounts was all me

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

Nice work, can't wait to see it running. I had to do the same to my bumper, just not quite as much and I welded a piece of 1.5 inch square tubing into it.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

ya they were all you... except the idea was partly mine.
    The car came together really nicely yesterday. It was pleasant to work on one of chris's cars and have it cooperate.
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Proof That Bike Carbs Work On An A20!
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

Vehicle

yeah my best guess is that an 8" tall core is the MAX that can be fit on an accord while using the stock bumper support beam. shame i was hoping to use a larger intercooler lol

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

don't want to read through this whole thread again..I know it probably says, I'm just wondering where you got that manifold..
    And be sure to post up a pic of the front, I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'll be lopping out a big section of my bumper too.

yeah my best guess is that an 8" tall core is the MAX that can be fit on an accord while using the stock bumper support beam. shame i was hoping to use a larger intercooler lol
    anything beyond 8" is a waste of time and money, unless you cut a bunch of gay holes in the bumper cover.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    don't want to read through this whole thread again..I know it probably says, I'm just wondering where you got that manifold..
    And be sure to post up a pic of the front, I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'll be lopping out a big section of my bumper too.
    I bought the manifold from AccordinglyAZ, who is now ChaseR on the forum. I believe he bought it from elijah who had it custom built by somebody who had an a20 flange and no car to mock it up in hehehe

Its ok I think I may have a strategy afterall!

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

Chris has a lot less faith in the downpipe then i do. I think with a pic cut similiar to what is seen in these two pictures it would be doable in 2.5". 3" probably isn't possible but oh well. Once he requires more flow a new turbo manifold will have to be made.

Zeph Uusitalo
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

Vehicle

Zeph I put in a request for the www.mandrel-bends.com guys to get me a quote for 3 feet of 16ga. 2.5" tubing cut into a million little pie peices. I figure they can get it a lot more accurate and fast than me, and if I have to pay $30 extra for a bunch of super precise cuts I am happy to do that compared to spending $100 on blades and spending a weekend trying to cut my own tubing.

http://www.motokarts.com/resources/p...calculator.xls

Using this I have figured out a couple things:

1. our mockup dp, had a gap of about 1/2" between the inside edges after the 180 bend was all said and done... sound right zeph?

2. this dp used 3" tube, our dp will be 2.5" but the outside edge can maintain the same profile, so we should gain 1" of 'gap' in the middle, and still be able to clear our targets.

3. so with a 1.5" gap between the pipes, that leaves us with a 2" center line radius bend.

4. plug in 180 degrees bend with 2.50" pipe diameter, and 2.0" center line radius that leaves you with the following choices:

- 12 peices at 7.5 degrees and 0.84842" length on long edge of the pipe
    - 10 pieces at 9 degrees and 1.016824" length on the long edge of the pipe
    - and so on, until I get really rough...

but even 8 slices for a 180 bend is looking pretty rough. I want to keep as good of flow through this bend as possible, since the bend itself is going to be very restrictive.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

i think that doing a 12 piece bend wouldn't be too bad. That would be sweet if they would make all the pieces. I'm willing to tack it together if we can borrow a welder. I would then think that the best option would be to have someone TIG weld it together. But we could get it all fitted before that would need to happen.
    Here's one mroe pictuer that gives me hope.
    Zeph Uusitalo