Thread: Craigslist

DX User

Craigslist

I found a Red '89 accord on craigslist for $2700, my question is how much is it really worth? I spoke with the guy today and here's what I learned:

150,500 original miles, original motor & trans
    manual with new clutch
    Had an oil change and tune up last year but only been driven maybe 80 miles
    Brand new set of tires
    New A/C completely redone
    Interior & exterior in GREAT shape
    NEW struts & shocks
    VERY up-kept
    Manual locks and windows...

so...should I get it? Going to look at it tomorrow..

Has also had the timing belt replaced recently
    Last edited by bullhorn13; 09-05-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: timing belt

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: Craigslist

If it has manual locks and windows, it's a DX. Is it red or maroon? What color of interior?

With 150,000 miles on it, its worth between $2500 and $3000, assuming it's in as good of condition as you say. If it's red with a black interior, it's a rather rare color combination.

What's the body like? Does it have any rust? Any missing or broken trim parts? Some things are difficult to find, but most of us have no problems junkyard diving for parts.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    If it has manual locks and windows, it's a DX. Is it red or maroon? What color of interior?

With 150,000 miles on it, its worth between $2500 and $3000, assuming it's in as good of condition as you say. If it's red with a black interior, it's a rather rare color combination.

What's the body like? Does it have any rust? Any missing or broken trim parts? Some things are difficult to find, but most of us have no problems junkyard diving for parts.

It is maroon with maroon interior
    It's not missing any trim, no rust, just the clear coat chipping in some places.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Peeling clear on maroon cars seems to be incredibly common. I've only seen a couple that aren't peeling.

To put the price of the car into perspective a bit, the AC work was probably close to $2000. A timing belt was probably several hundred. Shocks were probably in the $1000 range, too. You're pretty much only paying for the recent work on the car and getting the car for free. That's usually the recipe for a car that will last a long time.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Peeling clear on maroon cars seems to be incredibly common. I've only seen a couple that aren't peeling.

To put the price of the car into perspective a bit, the AC work was probably close to $2000. A timing belt was probably several hundred. Shocks were probably in the $1000 range, too. You're pretty much only paying for the recent work on the car and getting the car for free. That's usually the recipe for a car that will last a long time.
    That's what I thought. I really like the car and love the body style, but my mom wants me to get a '95 Integra that has more miles and unknown maintence history. She doesn't like it because it's so old, but I love it.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Get insurance quotes. She won't let you buy the 'teg after she does.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Like Vanilla said, the A/C, shocks, and other stuff is all that you're paying for.

I got my A/T 89 Lxi accord with 110,000 miles on it for $1450. Had a partially broken axle cost me $120 to start with, along with 2 new tires for $300, had 4 new shocks/struts put in and 2 new springs since one actually broke, that cost me somewhere around $1000 I think, 4 new fuel injectors cost $800, and some rust repair in one of the wheel wells cost me about $250. And currently I'm working on repainting the car and just the paint materials are going to be $1000-$1200, (plus $200 if you add what I've spent on primer).

That's almost $2,500 I've done on just repairs.

Over $1000 on paint.

and $1450 for the car itself.

Nearly $5,000 total.

So, if that car is in good shape, and the parts they say are replaced are replaced, that's a great deal on a car that should last you a long time yet.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX Sedan

I'd have to agree with these guys and say that it really seems like a good deal!

As for me, I bought my LX a few months ago for $1300 flat, saving some money for repairs on this instead of buying a more expensive car.
    My interior is amazing for the age, and the engine's not that bad(167k when I bought it, though it has a small oil leak)
    As of now, I have done..hm.

-Fresh Timing Belt/Water Pump(Found out they'd only been done 30k ago when I finally caved on getting a carfax) $400
    -Replaced leaking P/S rack $400
    -Also had to replace the pressure hose, gah, since it blew and splurted on my exhaust mani $200
    -Replaced old, damaged, but not clicking CV axles $400
    -New Tires $400

My A/C needs to be done, which is a huge chunk of cash, and the fact that you're getting a fully rebuilt system easily shows more good for that price

..Though, after buying mine, I've seen LX-i's for $1500, which is a drag because I would have much preferred injected.

Vehicle
    1986 accord lx-i

idk guys i love 3 geez but that just seems way to steep for me to pay.

i got my hatch back in 2010 for 600 bucks. super clean stock Fuel injected. everything original. and i have yet to do any expensive maintenace work.

everything done to the car was pretty much basic. new clutch new brakes regular oil changes. new spark plugs nothing out of the ordinary

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi Coupe

Let me start by saying i hate Ohio. Fining good quality 80's cars here is a mother. I got my 88 LXi coupe for $2200 and I have one wheel well with bubbling rust under paint, many oil leaks in the motor, 200 miles, but a mint interior, as that is what I was looking for specifically. I am almost ready to pull the motor and then get to disassembling the rest of the car for paint, but I am doing this because I want to; its why I bought the car.

Anyway, I have been looking for 7 years to find this one, and drove 500 miles to Virginia to get it. Where you people find these $600 cars is beyond me, like way beyond me...Cali?
    1989 LXi Hatchback - Napster
    1989 LXi Sedan - sold 😒
    1988 LXi Coupe - Old Skool
    1984 Nissan 300ZX A.E. - 50AEZX
    2019 Subaru Forester Touring - snow mobile
    2023 Chevy Bolt EUV - DD

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-i

Sounds like a good deal to me! I cant find ANY good 3geez around here

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The most I've ever paid for a 3gee has been $550. Every 3gee I've ever bought needed extensive work done to it before it would be a suitable car. 2 had carb and trans issues, one had a bad trans. That's not counting the parts cars.

What that doesn't take into account is that I've never had a 3gee with a working AC, never had one without some body damage or heavily damaged trim, and I've had to put at least $500 worth of work into every one of them before I could drive the car. That's not to say I spend that much money on all of them, but if you were to have even the simplest work done in a shop, you're in the several hundred dollar range for anything.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

To me it seems just a bit too much. Don't get me wrong, for all he's put in it, that's about the right price you'll end up paying for the parts and labor. Like Vanilla, we've never payed more that $500 for a 3g and some were even running perfectly good running cars. I got my car for $450 but I will tell you that just in parts and paint we put over $3500 and thats not counting labor since we did all the work our selves. I would try to talk him down to $2600 or $2500.

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread