Thread: I used to be a member here

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I used to be a member here

Hi all,

I'm not sure what happened, but after the last outage, I have been unable to access the site through Windows. I can access without difficulty using Linux, but I don't use Linux all that much. I haven't decided if God is telling me to devote my energies to other things, or to use Linux more.

Anyway, if anyone cares, I'm working on it.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 09-07-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: I used to be a member here

Have you tried a different browser? Maybe it's time for a wipe and re-install of Windows. Probably some malware on your computer. Haven't heard of any other issues, nor any other changes to the forum software. Perhaps a DNS issue or something?

Might as well just go with Linux. If you're not a gamer, you really don't need Windows.

Seriously, I moved my dad over to Linux. He knows literally nothing about computers. He gets by just fine with it. Posts shit on eBay, checks his e-mail, surfs the web, manages his finances, buys parts for his motorcycles. Except, I NEVER have to do anything to his computer. It just runs. He does updates to it himself.

I was so fucking sick and tired of going over there for some broken-ass driver, or some shit that was running at startup, or to update Adobe Flash, or deal with 80,000 popups. Windows 7 has all the same stupid problems, I really don't see it going away any time soon. Maybe it really is the obscurity of the Linux, maybe it's inherently designed better, I don't really care. It's so much less problematic, it works awesome. It's come a long way in the last few years. Give Ubuntu a whirl (if that's not what you're already doing).
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 09-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

We care buddy. "Get er done"
    Phil

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Yeah man, I saw the Snooz account and wondered what was up. Have you sent Joe a message?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Yes, the only "sign" that is went out the window(s)... it means get you an Apple but just don't take a bite

Something weird did happen with Win 7 the week of 8/20 after an update. Ive been trying to figure out my laptop, the thing takes forever to boot, trys and fails start up repair, loses the mouse cursor, IE fails to work as does GC and all efforts to weed out the bug have failed. It is intermittent though, sometimes it boots up with no issues other than being slow. I found several posts on forums with people describing the same issues.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Have you tried a different browser? Maybe it's time for a wipe and re-install of Windows. Probably some malware on your computer. Haven't heard of any other issues, nor any other changes to the forum software. Perhaps a DNS issue or something?

Might as well just go with Linux. If you're not a gamer, you really don't need Windows.

Seriously, I moved my dad over to Linux. He knows literally nothing about computers. He gets by just fine with it. Posts shit on eBay, checks his e-mail, surfs the web, manages his finances, buys parts for his motorcycles. Except, I NEVER have to do anything to his computer. It just runs. He does updates to it himself.

I was so fucking sick and tired of going over there for some broken-ass driver, or some shit that was running at startup, or to update Adobe Flash, or deal with 80,000 popups. Windows 7 has all the same stupid problems, I really don't see it going away any time soon. Maybe it really is the obscurity of the Linux, maybe it's inherently designed better, I don't really care. It's so much less problematic, it works awesome. It's come a long way in the last few years. Give Ubuntu a whirl (if that's not what you're already doing).
    Man I gave Ubuntu a try few months back and I ended up going back to Windows for some reason

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

LX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LXi 5sp, 293k

Fedora core is my preferred free linux version. I did not like Ubuntu either.
    '86 Accord LXi Sedan my dependable daily driver w\318k. "Why yes I do have a 3GEEE!"

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Unity is kinda weird... admittedly. I kinda like the traditional Gnome interface better or KDE, but it seems to work ok.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Yeah, not a fan of Unity. I'd rather use Windows than take the performance hit of Unity.

You guys having issues with updates, roll back your system, especially if you're on windows 7.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

use firefox, I haven't been able to get the site to work in windows for about a year

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Linux doesn't support Netflix streaming, which is a hardship for me. It's insanely difficult to do anything slightly outside the box. It lacks a lot of human factors refinement (requires too many mouse clicks, cursor ends up in places it shouldn't, etc.) Nor does it have a natural language text-to-speech reader. That's an uber-hardship as I read constantly and need to rest my eyes from time to time. On the other hand, because it doesn't have all the back door, government trojans, it's more difficult for the FBI and NSA to hack into my stuff. I'm torn.

My XP installation works wonderfully everywhere but here. I've tried three different browsers, three different networks and three different geographical locations, all to no avail. I just tried using my Mom's Windows 7 computer and it seems to work without difficulty, so it's just Windows on this computer.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

That is a cause for concern then, I would try cleaning out all the links on your account an see if thats related, sig picture too ... Anything that's outside which board defaults aren't providing that an outside elEment could attach to.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 09-08-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

nice to meet you new user.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

:d
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

havent had any issues yet hard core windows fanboy here

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    :d
    I never was able to figure out the windows issue so I just don't use the forum in XP any more just in firefox

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Man I gave Ubuntu a try few months back and I ended up going back to Windows for some reason
    I have tried Ubuntu (the LTS versions, 8.04 and then 10.04) and found them to work fine. I have the 10.04 running in a triple-boot and it is way faster than vista (aarrggghhh!) and XP. Still not ready to do the switch - need to learn an alternative to STATA but I am way too busy for that now.

I have seen the last Ubuntu and new desktop; not sure if I like it so I may try xubuntu or Kubuntu (XFCE and KDE desktops). I have tried Opensuse (very nice visually, could not get wireless to work), Debian (works fine but takes more work to set up), AntiX and PuppyLinux (both good if you have a very old computer that want to give to someone for some basic browsing, emailing, and light office work).

There is also a supposedly super-safe distribution to use from a CD or USB flash - lightweight portable security. If you believe in what they say, it should be safe to browse - or maybe safe that I will be watched only by the DOD while web-browsing...

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/u...tion-20110722/
    Last edited by ecogabriel; 09-09-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

running ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my laptop. have been using it all year without many issues other then a restart every now and then for audio issues or flash player issue. laptop has a bad memory stick tho so that may be the reason for those issues. it wouldn’t even run on windows! kept crashing all the time and lagging badly.
    i have 7 on my desktop...which i cant even use right now due to a virus (Some fake FBI thing that wants you to paypal them money lawl) and i haven’t had the time to reformat it yet)
    im making the switch to mac soon for a desktop. can have the reliability and be able to watch netflix and do everything needed

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

if your trying to save an aging machine then i can see needed to go to a different os.. my windows 7 boots in under 30 secs and shuts down even faster there no lag to do anything..

but i stay updated at least twice a year because it cost me a fraction of what a normally buyer pays.. example my cpu cost $592 i paid $215 for it. so for mobo and cpu upgrade I was at $475 and I sold my old setup for $480 so i made $5 on an upgrade lol.