Thread: 1st gen b16a swap into 87 accord.

DX User

1st gen b16a swap into 87 accord.

I thought this would be a good summer project to start planning out and saving up for. I'm not new to the game but this will be my first b-series endeavor. Any input or helpful tips about this swap? Mounts? Axles? Harness? Any custom fabrications that will need to be done? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: 1st gen b16a swap into 87 accord.

Innovative makes mounts now, so that's no longer an issue. Axles can be frankensteined together. There are a couple of members here that can provide you with a wiring kit, or you can contact some of the other kit manufacturers to see if they can help. I'm not sure which company builds them, but there's one of them that does. You could always do the rewiring yourself if you don't mind making the harness adapter or repinning a connector.

I'd read up all of the B swap threads on this forum and see where they hit snags and what they did to get around them.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Rendon LX-i is turning his B-series swap into a nice How To. You might check out his post history. He just used a couple off the shelf axles from different cars.

DX User

Alright yeah I'm still doing some reading on some other similar builds. I'm hoping rywire can make me a plug-n-play tucked harness, and innovative is gonna be hooking me up with mounts. As far as traction goes, I plan on keeping the b16 completely stock internally and externally for the most part. And i dont want to be spinning tires at every stoplight. However should I still invest in torque dampers or traction bars? Basically my goal is to keep the driveability as smooth as possible.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

If you want a smooth driving car, go with their softest motor mounts. They're still stiffer than stock, so keep that in mind.

160HP is nothing these days. My mom's minivan has like 275HP. Don't be dead set on the smaller displacement if you haven't already purchased your engine. Also, don't be afraid to buy the engine in parts. That gives you the option to buy a B20 block and a B16 head and go CRVTEC. B series motors are well documented enough that you'll be able to piece together a good motor without breaking the bank, and having quite a bit more power than a stock B16.

DX User

Well, I'm doing this on about a $2000 budget. So I can either get an engine and tranny from tiger direct for 18 and have barely enough for the rest, or (hopefully) find a good deal on Craigslist for 5 or 6 hundred, a tranny for a couple hundred, wiring from rywire for a few hundred, and hopefully have about $500 left for axles, hubs, mounts, and other shit I'm gonna run into. I feel like I'll be cutting it close with 2k so I might end up going another route entirely maybe d series or something but I'll have to do some more reading into it. I appreciate all the input so far, I'll update this when I have a better idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

im going to tell you right now thats not going to be enought.

mounts alone are 500 plus shipping. then trans you can prolly get cheap using a LS one as in (A1) but would not get up and go like you would want a b series to do.

D series would be a waste of time as for mounts would have to be custom made an axles as well. you would be in the same boat.

like i said to all the other guys you want to go cheap on a swap get a civic.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    im going to tell you right now thats not going to be enought.

mounts alone are 500 plus shipping. then trans you can prolly get cheap using a LS one as in (A1) but would not get up and go like you would want a b series to do.

D series would be a waste of time as for mounts would have to be custom made an axles as well. you would be in the same boat.

like i said to all the other guys you want to go cheap on a swap get a civic.

I'm with you on this one. A $2k budget will not be enough for sure. Either raise your budget or go for a different car. Between all the little odds and ends, minor pieces that need to be fabbed, etc doing a b-series swap including the motor into a 3g accord is nearly impossible.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

just my engine and trans cost me 1500 but i got a gsr engine. a b20 would be nice but unless its a built bottom end i would not rev pass 8k

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

Yeah I'm gonna have to get my money up for sure. I might just go ahead and leave it stock for the time being. If it stays clean through ohio's salty winter, that will be a big deciding factor on what I'm gonna do with the car. I originally bought it as a winter car anyways to keep my ep3 off the salty roads. But hey thanks for the advise guys and props to rendon on that build.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Do NOT buy a motor from Tiger. I know of no one that's had a single good engine come from them, even their "100% fully tested" engines.

DX User

Really? Hm, a couple years ago I got a zc engine from em for an ef hatch i had and it ran great but maybe I got lucky or something. But thanks for the heads up anyways.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Hmotorsonline

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

DX User
    Vehicle
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    I'm with you on this one. A $2k budget will not be enough for sure. Either raise your budget or go for a different car. Between all the little odds and ends, minor pieces that need to be fabbed, etc doing a b-series swap including the motor into a 3g accord is nearly impossible.
    This is the old adage I consistantly tell people. Usually a newer, better platform ends up being the way to go, unless you're willing to spend more for a "sleeper".