Thread: Hey all! Long time Accord owner!

DX User

Hey all! Long time Accord owner!

To keep it short, my great grandfather bought our '87 Accord from the dealer. As you can imagine because it was fairly low maintenance, it was passed down to grandpa, then father and then me. I have poured tons of time and money into this car.

Today when bringing my car into the shop (where I work) she's started missing. Got to work and pulled the plugs. All four of them are black(rich) and I mean BLACK. Clearly she's been running rich for the last year since I changed them last.

My question.
    Could this be cause by it running rich during cold start? Or would that burn off?
    Is there an air/fuel enrichment screw? Fast or slow?
    I appreciate your guys' time! Clearly I work with cars but was trained on fuel injection. I've rebuilt a few scooter carbs but this looks like a totally different animal!

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

Re: Hey all! Long time Accord owner!

Welcome

Prolly not just start up if they're black. Of course check around for vacuum leaks before you go trying to set A/F Make sure the choke is working properly. If it's not opening all the way it could def. cause that.

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Hey all! Long time Accord owner!

Quote Originally Posted by saintg2005 View Post
    To keep it short, my great grandfather bought our '87 Accord from the dealer. As you can imagine because it was fairly low maintenance, it was passed down to grandpa, then father and then me. I have poured tons of time and money into this car.

Today when bringing my car into the shop (where I work) she's started missing. Got to work and pulled the plugs. All four of them are black(rich) and I mean BLACK. Clearly she's been running rich for the last year since I changed them last.

My question.
    Could this be cause by it running rich during cold start? Or would that burn off?
    Is there an air/fuel enrichment screw? Fast or slow?
    I appreciate your guys' time! Clearly I work with cars but was trained on fuel injection. I've rebuilt a few scooter carbs but this looks like a totally different animal!
    Is your nose confirming the rich condition (ie: does the exhaust smell rich)? There is an A/F adjustment, but it is only for the idle circuit. I suspect you are running rich at all times, though. Check to make sure that your choke is opening fully. That often causes rich conditions. If the choke is okay, check the sight glasses on the side of the carb to make sure that the floats are adjusted properly. Finally, make sure you're getting good spark and that you don't have a failing coil or bad coil wire or something.

BTW, the carb is a nightmare. Avoid rebuilding it until you absolutely have to and then do as little tear down as you can.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW