Thread: No Fuel Delivery from brand new pump

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

No Fuel Delivery from brand new pump

I have a brand new pump and relay in place , the old pump i turn the key to the on position and hear nothing, new pump i hear a slight buzz when i put the key to the on position, but nothing is coming out the pump i confirmed by removing the hose directly to the pump(and yes there is about 1 gallon of gas in the tank for sure that was my first step to trouble shooting) im not sure where to go with this what to do or what i should do , i believe the pump is defective or its being shut off somehow, when the pump new pump comes on for a second it cuts right back out doesn't really seem like any of my 3geez made this sound but who knows i do know why this is relevant but my tach is moving when i crank the engine and when i pour gas into the carb it does start and the tach does work Please HELP i believe the pump is airtek brand something like that

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: No Fuel Delivery from brand new pump

Quote Originally Posted by bryan42688 View Post
    I have a brand new pump and relay in place , the old pump i turn the key to the on position and hear nothing, new pump i hear a slight buzz when i put the key to the on position, but nothing is coming out the pump i confirmed by removing the hose directly to the pump(and yes there is about 1 gallon of gas in the tank for sure that was my first step to trouble shooting) im not sure where to go with this what to do or what i should do , i believe the pump is defective or its being shut off somehow, when the pump new pump comes on for a second it cuts right back out doesn't really seem like any of my 3geez made this sound but who knows i do know why this is relevant but my tach is moving when i crank the engine and when i pour gas into the carb it does start and the tach does work Please HELP i believe the pump is airtek brand something like that

Have you checked the fuse for the fuel pump?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

yes i did im sorry i did not mention i checked the fuse 15amp number one under dash!!!

Vehicle

I'm gonna say it is something wrong with the fuel pump relay(maybe mad from the factory), I am not very familiar with the fuel pump system for the carb 3geez. Maybe lost can chime in with some info.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

So, it's priming and then not running? Sounds like a main relay to me. More fuel pumps get replaced in these cars due to bad main relays than for any other reason.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

let me confirm the part i replaced was in the back of the fuse box under the dash it is metal and has 4 prongs and 5 holes for prongs , im sorry my car is three miles away from me so i cant take a picture

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

i just confirmed on rockauto the part i replaced was the fuel pump relay so your thinking i should replace this again? here is the part , thank you http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=3380

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Yup, that's the relay for a carbed car. Should have a grey case, looks like this:

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bryan42688 View Post
    i just confirmed on rockauto the part i replaced was the fuel pump relay so your thinking i should replace this again? here is the part , thank you http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=3380
    If you still have your old one, try taking it apart and re-soldering all the leads on the bottom. Works like a charm for me every time. I never buy new ones, cause I'm cheap, and I've never heard good things about new ones.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Somehow, I glazed right over the "and relay" part in your initial post. Have you tested for power at the plug in the back when you're cranking the engine?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Somehow, I glazed right over the "and relay" part in your initial post. Have you tested for power at the plug in the back when you're cranking the engine?

no i did not confirm power at the at the switch while cranking what would this indicate? and yes i hear it priming and how exactly does sodering the bottom connections help ,

thanks all for the great help

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

It would indicate that there is power at the terminal, and leaves only the pump to question.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

understood 100% im sure i will be able to solve the issue if not then ill be asking more questions

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

That's what we're here for. Downloading the manual might help out a ton with the diagnostic procedures.