Thread: Weird Intake Question

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi

Weird Intake Question

I've look through all the threads and can't find exactly the help I need, but I have a 9 accord Lxi fuel injected, and I want to do a short ram intake for it. I'm just confused on where exactly would I run it from, the air box or the throttle body. My airbox has like a oval shape opening so I wouldn't know how to put a tube on something that shape, and my throttle body has a U shape tube running from there to another whole below it, so how would I run it from there? I'm super confused, so help me out ppl. Thanks

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Re: Weird Intake Question

You remove the U and the filter in the back and just a buy a short ram intake off eBay for a 84-87 prelude (don't worry it fits). It will bolt right up to the throttle body and the filter will sit near the battery.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi

Quote Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
    You remove the U and the filter in the back and just a buy a short ram intake off eBay for a 84-87 prelude (don't worry it fits). It will bolt right up to the throttle body and the filter will sit near the battery.
    If I take off the U tho, then it's gunna leave a huge empty hole below the throttle body

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

?? the U just goes to the stock air cleaner, which will no longer be needed once you have put your own intake on

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    ?? the U just goes to the stock air cleaner, which will no longer be needed once you have put your own intake on
    The stock air cleaner is below? Ill take your word for it but im still kinda sketched on leaving that big hole at the bottom. If I did take off the U and hook up a intake to the throttle body, I can still leave my stock airbox on the back of the body too right? Would that double the airflow?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Listen to the advice given on this subject it is correct. You will see once you start the swap.

On another note, Did you snug down the valve in the FICV from your other thread?
    Phil

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Hatchback DX

you are over thinking things and confusing yourself.
    the U pipe basically connects the stock air box on top of the intake manifold to your throttle body.

so if you remove the U pipe to install an intake, the stock air box is no longer needed cuz it is no longer connected to the throttle body. so there is no point leaving the stock air box in there. it will not double your airflow cuz nothing is connected to it.

basically every plastic piping is removed cuz your short ram or cold air replaces all of that shit. trace all the plastic piping and you will see that they all connect back to the throttle body one way or another.

so just pop up ur hood and take a look for yourself. you'll see what we mean.
    Last edited by DemonicAngel; 10-16-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Its not needed. And heres a pic of how it would without it.

Thats the back side.

Depending on how you set it up Short ram or Cold air intake(in my pic). If your worried it will throw a CEL then dont cause it wont. This car doesnt have a sensor on the ontake itself like newer models.

Here the CIA

Just get one pipe with a nipple that connects to the Valve cover to the intake pipe and run your hose. Dont overthink to much as we are giving you precise information on how to do this mod.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Also removing the air box make for changing the oil filter a hell of alot easier.
    Phil

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ShyBoyCA6 View Post
    Its not needed. And heres a pic of how it would without it.

Thats the back side.

Depending on how you set it up Short ram or Cold air intake(in my pic). If your worried it will throw a CEL then dont cause it wont. This car doesnt have a sensor on the ontake itself like newer models.

Here the CIA

Just get one pipe with a nipple that connects to the Valve cover to the intake pipe and run your hose. Dont overthink to much as we are giving you precise information on how to do this mod.
    Ill take your word for it and try tomorrow. I see your intake looks like a 2.5in piping. That's the same size as the throttle body opening correct. Is getting that size opposed to a 3in better? If so, Where did you find that size piping? Im just gunna go short ram

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Im not sure on the size. But TB should be 2.25 or 2". You could get coupler 2.25/3" so it could fit on the TB and pipe ends. In my gallery under my user name click on it and look at my sedan engine bay if going a bit longer than short ram. Also make sure it doesn't touch the prop valve lines.

Found it.

I got this one from autozone. You would need that coupler in this pic. Its that simple
    Last edited by ShyBoyCA6; 10-16-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added picture

DX User
    Vehicle
    Nissan 350z, Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer

You eliminate the U and the narrow in the back and just a buy a brief ram consumption off eBay for a 84-87 prelude (don't fear it fits). It will secure right up to the accelerator system and the narrow will sit near power supply.

Buzz App | Buzz Apps | Twilio Services | SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin | Privacy Pro | Wifi Based App | Privacy Pro App
    Last edited by DaveE; 10-07-2016 at 05:42 AM.

Vehicle
    87/honda lxi accord, 04 xterra, 87 f-150, 93 f-350, 75 camaro, 01 gsx-r

LOL sorry im not really laughting at you but when I bought my first accord the kid I got it from was a "car guy" and knew everything and that is how he hooked it up.