Thread: Bought some window tint film..

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Bought some window tint film..

Sounds a little off topic with a title like that. ;/
    I have been meaning to do it for years but didn't want the standard Black tint that could be found easily, preferring a more distinctive & hopefully subtle tint like factory tints of the '50's & '60's of blue or green.
    My '77 needs it even more than my '79 since Honda's factory blue tint didn't arrive until '78 models and its interior has suffered as a result with tan door trims fading to pink as well as the usual cracked dash.

Having noticed cheap tint shops didn't seem to bother with anything but black here, I've finally bought some film via Ebay in a reflective green in the clearest tint I could find; 51% Vis. Light Transmission ( I think you can go as dark as 35% VLT here)

I may have failed upon the subtlety idea, it seems very reflective and doesn't look anywhere as green as their Ebay picture suggested but should certainly look distinctive...
    I hope I like the look since I bought enough to do 2 Accord, 2 Lancia Beta, a Prelude & Z ... As well as some boring black for CR-X & Integra!

Unfortunately my new job doing CAD design for some Toyota lights seems to have stalled after only a few weeks so I may have some time to attempt applying the film very soon as I look for another job. '77 will be first as drivers window has been replaced before & needs adjustment.

I also found out why the horn wasn't working after several weeks half-hearted investigation including removing steering wheel to check electrical contacts... Seems the brake lights weren't working either & they both shared the same fuse ( just as well the car doesn't get much use!) and despite the glass fuse looking fine (obviously I'd checked that first), It turned out that had failed.

Drove my '81 Prelude home from storage at my parents since it needs D/shaft gaiters replacing... Rust bubbles starting upon sills, near sunroof & tail-lamps as well as Wiper mounting area already attacked before. Aside from Xmas Hail damage... so lots of attention needed there.. Replaced its water pump last month to rid engine of periodic unhealthy clattering noises. Glad I had a spare pre'80 style pulley with smaller bolt pattern to suit the water pump.

'79 Accord now at (2?)98,000 km so I think I better plan for timing belt replacement soon.
    Last edited by 79cord; 10-23-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: Bought some window tint film..

Interested to see how this goes. I wanted to tint mine for years now but never got around to do it. Still debating if I should just pay the pros to do it vs me having to deal with the bubbles and crap. I have a spare door windows lying around that I wanted to tint myself since its way easier with them off the car but idkkkkkkk

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

What do you do about the glass with the defroster in it? Do you just go over the little defroster lines? How green is the tint going to look on the car? Or will it just look like dark glass?

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

I think it will look more reflective than green unfortunately but hope it turns out as I'd expected.
    Yes tint is normally applied right over rear defroster lines, & I'll probably remove the side windows for a better chance of success having not applied tint before. Then the rear window.
    Finished up work today but also want to do Prelude d/shaft gaiters so I can use that without regret.

tints are a pain in the ass.I thought "if some dumbass at a shop can do it, I can do it"
    I have no bubbles but there is a hair or two in my windows
    It should be easy on an older car with flat windows. The rear window on the 3gee is impossible.
    I've been thinking about putting a light blue tint on the Mustang, kind of like the Mercedes cars used to have
    Last edited by POS carb; 10-26-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau