28 84.85%
  • I dont care im only on here when im bored

3 9.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum vs. Facebook

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Forum vs. Facebook

Telling newbs on the board to search has always been something of a cop-out. We all know that the search function doesn't work very well and only tell others to search because it's too hard to do it ourselves.

In the past couple years, however, I've noticed that most of the time members will post relevant links with any admonition to search. It's pretty rare that people get screamed at any more.

FWIW, the new software has lifted the 20 second delay requirement between searches. It has also removed the three letter search term cutoff. Those are two gigantic improvements in search functionality. It should make getting relevant results a lot easier.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 11-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

I still have to wait 20 seconds between searches and can't search for anything less than 4 characters long

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    I still have to wait 20 seconds between searches and can't search for anything less than 4 characters long
    There is a 15 second wait period. Search is very server intensive. And now that we're on my VPS, slowdowns are my problem, not the hosting company's.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    VW Polo G40, 1986 Aerodeck EX (sold), 1987 Aerodeck EXi (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Telling newbs on the board to search has always been something of a cop-out. We all know that the search function doesn't work very well and only tell others to search because it's too hard to do it ourselves.

In the past couple years, however, I've noticed that most of the time members will post relevant links with any admonition to search. It's pretty rare that people get screamed at any more.

FWIW, the new software has lifted the 20 second delay requirement between searches. It has also removed the three letter search term cutoff. Those are two gigantic improvements in search functionality. It should make getting relevant results a lot easier.
    I only partly agree with you. Off course it's easier to tell someone to search instead of searching the link yourself, but on the other hand some questions are asked over and over again. It's obvious that this annoys people, especially when the answer to the question asked is even stickied or in the FAQ. If someone tells a noob it's stickied, I think he should look up said thread, instead of leaving the board forever.

An option could be to contact the 3geez FB group owner to cooperate in whatever way. The way I see it FB should be to share pics and have a quick genaral talk about cars, but everyone should know that for information they should be on here!

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by bryan6732 View Post
    I only partly agree with you. Off course it's easier to tell someone to search instead of searching the link yourself, but on the other hand some questions are asked over and over again. It's obvious that this annoys people, especially when the answer to the question asked is even stickied or in the FAQ. If someone tells a noob it's stickied, I think he should look up said thread, instead of leaving the board forever.

An option could be to contact the 3geez FB group owner to cooperate in whatever way. The way I see it FB should be to share pics and have a quick genaral talk about cars, but everyone should know that for information they should be on here!
    But nothing (nothing!) will ever completely stop repeat questions from being asked. Every forum on the face of the planet deals with this. Think of all of the repeat questions we do stop by having a FAQ and stickies and a search function. But people think that their situation is different, or they want to word their question differently, and so a new thread is created. That's how human beings work. If the problem is frequently addressed on the forum, then it shouldn't be too hard to answer.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I asked the question right out on the FB forum,what would it take to get the guys there over here, the answers are interesting so far

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Is there anyway to something that shows the fb activity/post on a sidebar or tab. This way you don't have leave the forum to go to the fb page and if someone here see a question they know answer to they can post a link to get back here quicker. It's also make look as if we support the fb and exile them

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord S, 1989 Accord SE-i

Being very new to the forum and cars in general, I have gleaned lots of info from this site when I did my weber conversion over the summer and as I'm researching for my next batch of mods. This is the first place I come if I'm having issues. As you guys already know, we play a constant game of I wonder if this will fit, almost, ok let's make it work or take this from this car, this from that car and put it all together. Most "noobs" like me and the younger enthusiasts that can produce long term members, have little to no car knowledge coming in and trying to make sense of the wealth of information is challenging. I personally have experienced issues trying to follow how-to's on this site, I would get to a point like I did in the Vigor stabilizer bar install where it said "shave your bushings down to accomodate the larger diameter bar" ok well that's great but how did you go about that? I tried a few different ways, wrecked my new bushings and finally just modified the Vigor mounting brackets to fit and used the Vigor bushings. I feel that some of the information could be updated and explained more clearly, new photos could be added as well as possibly some videos. I'm constantly piecing together the full story with bits from a multitude of threads on the same topic. Simply making the information easier to understand could turn some of the lurkers into active members. I just looked at the stats a minute ago and there were something like 10 members online and 57 guests, if that says anything it's that there is the possibility of at least 5 times more members. I'm interested in collaborating with some vets to produce some updated material and maybe a better system of organization so that more people who come here to find the answer to a question find it easily and in turn stay here to build up a larger community and knowledge base.

Well at this point you probably know more about the carb stuff. I am not saying that you cant learn other things but Once you get into the efi or turbo efi and ecu swaps you may get somewhat lost. With the efi 88's and 89's. they have a different pin-out. The pin-outs are here... finding them is the problem. carotman has the pin-outs for both.(which i used for my pin-out. (thank you.) I have a obd0 to obd1 pin-out that has been verified, but how would you find it if I did not tell you I posted it? I have done how to's in the past but they were never put into the how to section. I am not the only one who has done them. With Legend masters brakes to rendon's swap man there is allot to cover.

My question to you would be. How would you Begin to cover all the information?

No disrespect intended but there is an overwhelming amount of information here.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    if we are talking the general facebook forum, I gave up on it, bunch of guys talking shit all the time, not everyone but a lot of them, the most common question I hear over and over, is how do i swap out this A20 for a D ? you try to help and they run you down, lots of ricers have parked themselves there
    So sad, and yet so true...especially the ricer part. I see a lot of pissing contests and a lot of know-it-alls with fragile egos. You know what though? maybe it's better that we don't have to deal with posts from folks like that. It IS kind of a double edged sword though: Every owner not willing to learn for themselves, or take advice from others = one more car that'll probably end up in the junkyard.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by lostscotiaguy View Post
    So sad, and yet so true...especially the ricer part. I see a lot of pissing contests and a lot of know-it-alls with fragile egos. You know what though? maybe it's better that we don't have to deal with posts from folks like that. It IS kind of a double edged sword though: Every owner not willing to learn for themselves, or take advice from others = one more car that'll probably end up in the junkyard.
    but is it the job of mods stop or get rid of the shit talkers and there post. I've have one of my thread jacked and now its full of shit talk. If we had more/new active mods that did what mods do on other forum that would cut it back a lot. also there are should be a place/list where you can contact them so people know who to each out to.

DX User

i understand everyones point of view ... i use both the site and facebook.. for me personally facebook is very easy to just get some quick answers meet new people talk about anything type of place ... but when i need a ANSWER to questions the site is the place to go.. facebook is a thing that most poeple have .. before cars i was never on a forum didnt know how to search or use anything but facebook is so simple and very accessible .. theres apps provided all your friends or family is on it .. having the 3geez facebook was cool to connect to recent activity with other 3geez enthusiast .. i think we should keep them both but imform people more and more about this great site!! cause like someone has stated its cool to know that more and more people are still loving these great cars facebook being there first step into the game and lets guide them into deeper knowledge with this site!! cause honestly people on the facebook NEED to know about the site -____-' its ridiculous if they dont ..

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkowsky View Post
    Most "noobs" like me and the younger enthusiasts that can produce long term members, have little to no car knowledge coming in and trying to make sense of the wealth of information is challenging. I personally have experienced issues trying to follow how-to's on this site, I would get to a point like I did in the Vigor stabilizer bar install where it said "shave your bushings down to accomodate the larger diameter bar" ok well that's great but how did you go about that? I tried a few different ways, wrecked my new bushings and finally just modified the Vigor mounting brackets to fit and used the Vigor bushings. I feel that some of the information could be updated and explained more clearly, new photos could be added as well as possibly some videos. I'm constantly piecing together the full story with bits from a multitude of threads on the same topic. Simply making the information easier to understand could turn some of the lurkers into active members.

I'm interested in collaborating with some vets to produce some updated material and maybe a better system of organization so that more people who come here to find the answer to a question find it easily and in turn stay here to build up a larger community and knowledge base.
    As moderators we find these types of comments VERY helpful, so if you have specific things that you think would improve the forum (or even the FB page), PLEASE bring them up in the Site News and Feedback sub-forum.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisp...-Site-Feedback

Regarding the Knowledge base, we are working to clean these up but it is a huge job and will take some time. Most of the photos were links to image hosting sites and the pictures are gone and usually not recoverable. Where possible we are trying to recover lost images and upload them to the server where the forum is hosted so they won't be lost again. The only option where images were lost is to replace them with new ones. If anyone has pictures that they think could be useful for inclusion into the knowledge base, please contact one of the moderators (or post in Site Feedback) and we'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post
    but is it the job of mods stop or get rid of the shit talkers and there post. I've have one of my thread jacked and now its full of shit talk. If we had more/new active mods that did what mods do on other forum that would cut it back a lot. also there are should be a place/list where you can contact them so people know who to each out to.
    It has been suggested to moderate the FB page, but I kind of doubt that will happen (not ruling it out though). I see FB as more of an open air kind of place, where anyone is free to say anything they want, no matter how inflammatory it may be. The forum here is intended to be the more structured place, where you go for serious information and moderated content.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinSLOWly View Post
    i understand everyones point of view ... i use both the site and facebook.. for me personally facebook is very easy to just get some quick answers meet new people talk about anything type of place ... but when i need a ANSWER to questions the site is the place to go.. facebook is a thing that most poeple have .. before cars i was never on a forum didnt know how to search or use anything but facebook is so simple and very accessible .. theres apps provided all your friends or family is on it .. having the 3geez facebook was cool to connect to recent activity with other 3geez enthusiast .. i think we should keep them both but imform people more and more about this great site!! cause like someone has stated its cool to know that more and more people are still loving these great cars facebook being there first step into the game and lets guide them into deeper knowledge with this site!! cause honestly people on the facebook NEED to know about the site -____-' its ridiculous if they dont ..

Again, this is valuable feedback. We (the mods) are formulating some ideas to help draw people to the forum from the FB page. I don't have any specifics to offer yet but I can tell you for sure the disconnect between the FB page and the forum is definitely on our radar.

C|

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Being very new to the forum and cars in general, I have gleaned lots of info from this site when I did my weber conversion over the summer and as I'm researching for my next batch of mods. This is the first place I come if I'm having issues. As you guys already know, we play a constant game of I wonder if this will fit, almost, ok let's make it work or take this from this car, this from that car and put it all together. Most "noobs" like me and the younger enthusiasts that can produce long term members, have little to no car knowledge coming in and trying to make sense of the wealth of information is challenging. I personally have experienced issues trying to follow how-to's on this site, I would get to a point like I did in the Vigor stabilizer bar install where it said "shave your bushings down to accomodate the larger diameter bar" ok well that's great but how did you go about that? I tried a few different ways, wrecked my new bushings and finally just modified the Vigor mounting brackets to fit and used the Vigor bushings. I feel that some of the information could be updated and explained more clearly, new photos could be added as well as possibly some videos. I'm constantly piecing together the full story with bits from a multitude of threads on the same topic. Simply making the information easier to understand could turn some of the lurkers into active members. I just looked at the stats a minute ago and there were something like 10 members online and 57 guests, if that says anything it's that there is the possibility of at least 5 times more members. I'm interested in collaborating with some vets to produce some updated material and maybe a better system of organization so that more people who come here to find the answer to a question find it easily and in turn stay here to build up a larger community and knowledge base.
    Excellent observations and exactly the things we are committed to improving.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord S, 1989 Accord SE-i

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    Well at this point you probably know more about the carb stuff. I am not saying that you cant learn other things but Once you get into the efi or turbo efi and ecu swaps you may get somewhat lost. With the efi 88's and 89's. they have a different pin-out. The pin-outs are here... finding them is the problem. carotman has the pin-outs for both.(which i used for my pin-out. (thank you.) I have a obd0 to obd1 pin-out that has been verified, but how would you find it if I did not tell you I posted it? I have done how to's in the past but they were never put into the how to section. I am not the only one who has done them. With Legend masters brakes to rendon's swap man there is allot to cover.

My question to you would be. How would you Begin to cover all the information?

No disrespect intended but there is an overwhelming amount of information here.
    I'm not saying I know everything, I never will. Fixing broken links, rewriting how-to's and logically laying out the information isn't going to happen overnight. In regards of where to begin, that doesn't matter as long as we just start doing it, chipping away little bit by little bit. The more people we have collaborating the faster it will go.

3Geez Veteran

I'm not sure if this has been said yet as I can't see the posts (my forum changed to night rider and I can't see the words on the posts), but I choose to stay off of Facebook as it's not moderated as harshly as it is here. The last post on the Facebook page says more than enough...

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I have a suggestion, what about a basic chatbox, or a decent chat linked to the forum? I think thats one reason people love the facebook page, they can BS in real time, if you remember when we had the what are you doing thread, it became like a chat and was so popular it had to be deleted and redone over and over, I have the honor of starting the first thread to crash the board, also maby hosting the pictures for technical threads right on the board

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LXI Hatch

Sorry I had to use the 3rd option. I said "O thank god" when I saw how much everyone liked the site rather than FB.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Lost... we are now beginning to move the images in HowTos and any sticky post onto the 3geez server so that they can never be lost again!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Regarding the Knowledge base, we are working to clean these up but it is a huge job and will take some time. Most of the photos were links to image hosting sites and the pictures are gone and usually not recoverable. Where possible we are trying to recover lost images and upload them to the server where the forum is hosted so they won't be lost again. The only option where images were lost is to replace them with new ones. If anyone has pictures that they think could be useful for inclusion into the knowledge base, please contact one of the moderators (or post in Site Feedback) and we'll go from there.
    x2. Remember that the How-To's are not stone tablets brought down by Moses from the Mount. They were written by members like you who were just trying to get something to fit and work. If you feel like the How-To could be improved, do a write-up and send it to a mod. Before I was a mod, I wrote up some additional guidelines for the AT -> MT Swap thread. They are now part of the official How-To. We are really focused on improving the How-To's and welcome your contributions. If you notice pics missing and have some we can use, let us know. If you notice errors, let us know. If you find better ways of doing things, let us know.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    x2. Remember that the How-To's are not stone tablets brought down by Moses from the Mount. They were written by members like you who were just trying to get something to fit and work. If you feel like the How-To could be improved, do a write-up and send it to a mod. Before I was a mod, I wrote up some additional guidelines for the AT -> MT Swap thread. They are now part of the official How-To. We are really focused on improving the How-To's and welcome your contributions. If you notice pics missing and have some we can use, let us know. If you notice errors, let us know. If you find better ways of doing things, let us know.
    :word:
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Hers my take on it. when posting in this forum its takes a long time for somebody to respond. If i posted on facebook you get a response alot quicker.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

omg i cant stand the official 3geez facebook....all everyone talks about there is asking the dumbest questions without any searching....thinks there gods gifts to the world and everything is about being slammed...and there has been threads about people thinking its better to remove the thermostat .... had to leave before i lost more brain cells lol

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
    Hers my take on it. when posting in this forum its takes a long time for somebody to respond. If i posted on facebook you get a response alot quicker.
    It cant be about speed it has to be about retention, something veteran members understand and newbs just cant grasp.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    It cant be about speed it has to be about retention, something veteran members understand and newbs just cant grasp.
    Are you calling me a newb?

I agree that speed isn't everything. But I have waited days for someone to respond to one of my questions on here.