Thread: Engine starts but smells rich and runs at 2500+ RPM - Weber 32/36

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

Engine starts but smells rich and runs at 2500+ RPM - Weber 32/36

Alright I got the head gasket done and got the car started today. It was rough at first but once I let it work it began to idle. Problem is that as it gets warmer it doesn't come down. I let it warm up a bit and once the temp gauge got into the white section the RPM started going up. I turned it off, let it sit then started it again and while it started right up it did the same thing. I have no idea as to why this is doing this.

One thing that's really weird is that the hammer on the throttle does not touch the idle screw at all. Even after letting it warm up it does not move. I'm thinking my choke is off but that's a wild guess at this point.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: Engine starts but smells rich and runs at 2500+ RPM - Weber 32/36

Over on he opposite side of the carb is the fast idle stepper. It could be stuck or binding. Or a vacuum leak ...but if you say the throttle stop is not contacting at all yhis is most likely a linkage issue either on the carb or between the carb and gas pedal.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

If you run it with the air filter off, you should be able to see if your choke is actually closed or not. If it's not open all the way, then the throttle linkage may never touch the idle screw because the choke isn't kicking off. Assuming you have electric choke, have you verified that it's getting 12 volts?

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

I have verified 12v going to the carb but I will check it again to make sure. Fuel, 12v and vacuum look fine as far as I can tell.

From what I've been seeing there's a way to trick this carb into thinking that the choke is open so I can see if the arm hits. Does anyone have any good way to do this? Both the fast idle screw (under the choke) and idle screw (throttle linkage) do not touch after running the car. I had a Bug before this and it had an electric choke and it never seemed to take this long to open which makes me think something is weird with this. A lot of the other forums say the chokes are messed up on these carbs out of the box and need to be adjusted.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

You should be able to pull the choke butterfly open, I'm pretty sure. Or at least open the throttle all the way and see if it kicks off the high idle.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    You should be able to pull the choke butterfly open, I'm pretty sure. Or at least open the throttle all the way and see if it kicks off the high idle.
    I agree. I would think if you hold the choke open and give the throttle a few blips it should settle down to normal? If not I'd def. check the linkage and also see if you can close the throttle further by twisting it by hand...plus I'd check the throttle return spring. I remember when mine was new and I had trouble working the bugs out... just when I'd think I had it all dialed in it would randomly idle way too high. First I thought the throttle cable adjustment was off, but the whole butterfly valve assembly was just a little sticky in it's rotation, and the throttle return spring wasn't really applying enough "Pull" to close the throttle all the way when I'd let off the gas...