Thread: honda 1988 accord lxi air intake

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord LX-I

Post honda 1988 accord lxi air intake

hey guys i wanted to ask the forum a question somone at my work thinks he knows it all and i was telling him that i would liek to add an air cone or air intake to my car. hes like dont do it because its gonna ruin your car its not made for old cars -_- lol. what do you guys think willl it damage my car

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: honda 1988 accord lxi air intake

Quote Originally Posted by accordfan View Post
    hey guys i wanted to ask the forum a question somone at my work thinks he knows it all and i was telling him that i would liek to add an air cone or air intake to my car. hes like dont do it because its gonna ruin your car its not made for old cars -_- lol. what do you guys think willl it damage my car
    That guys an idiot, its more difficult to add intakes to newer cars due to all the sensors (and cars with maf sensors) you may not get a noticeable amount of power from just an intake, but adding some other bolt-ons might help. The only way an intake would harm our cars would be to add a cold air intake, and then suck water into it.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord LX-I

lol thanks. i thought he was stupid :p. so what do you recommend for an intake

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    That guys an idiot, its more difficult to add intakes to newer cars due to all the sensors (and cars with maf sensors) you may not get a noticeable amount of power from just an intake, but adding some other bolt-ons might help. The only way an intake would harm our cars would be to add a cold air intake, and then suck water into it.
    Or just run a bypass valve with the CAI and dodge the puddles

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I would say the biggest advantage is it declutters the engine bay. Legendmaster is right on those true cold air intakes you can drive in ankle deep water and suck water in the engine.

Heh, RAZR said dodge ....We had a 2011 Charger at work wih that 3.6 hot v6 that has factory CAI and it got driven in ten inches of flood water... Locked the engine up, bent shit insde too. That amazes me too that a drive by wire throttle body and maf wouldnt shut down the engine first. Ha, if you get a new jeep with that 3.6 better get a snorkle breather for sure.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 11-27-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
    Or just run a bypass valve with the CAI and dodge the puddles
    Truly a bypass valve eliminates the whole purpose of a cold air intake. Take a straw, cut holes in the side of it, and figure out where the air is flowing. Path of least resistance.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Move the battery, build a box in that area to seal the intake off from the heat of the engine bay, and BOOM, CAI.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

very easy mod. either a 90-93 accord or 90-92 integra. one fits almost perfect i just slid the battery tray over and used one bolt held fine for years lol. i did hit a water puddle one time bogged like a sob. i just turned the car off waited a bit then fired her up and gave her hell.

plenty of how to threads on the forum

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by accordfan View Post
    If the cone filter media is made of an oiled cotton element (K&N), then the filtration will be inadequate. The additional particulate run through the engine will damage it over time. You'll also get worse gas mileage.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

You shouldn't get poorer fuel economy from the filter itself, but there may be a difference due to the air temperature. Although, more power means less throttle, less throttle means less fuel in our case, which will translate into better fuel economy.

Oiled gauze filters, like the K&N line, don't filter as well as a paper filter, and in some cases, don't flow as well as a paper filter. I recall a Ford Diesel truck forum that did a test on various filters, and one of the premium paper filters both flowed more air and passed less dirt. If you really want a decent reusable filter, check out the AEM Dryflow line of filters. You can find out more information about them at AEM's website: http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    You shouldn't get poorer fuel economy from the filter itself, but there may be a difference due to the air temperature. Although, more power means less throttle, less throttle means less fuel in our case, which will translate into better fuel economy.
    That's the rationale I keep hearing, but my mileage went to crap when I had one. It's simple physics really, when the filter lets more air into the mix, the ECU is going to compensate to keep the mix constant by dumping in more fuel. K&N is real clever in leading you to believe you'll get better mileage without actually making claims that could get them sued.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Any additional power will be more noticeable higher up in the rev range.
    You'll actually lose low end power with a CAI.
    I could try and find the science to back it up but if you're REALLY familiar with the feel of how your car performs it's simple enough to feel with your "Butt Dyno": Disconnect the piping that goes to the chamber that holds your air filter. You'll get a nice rumble when you nail the throttle but you'll notice less power down low and throttle response will be a little laggy. You WILL feel a LITTLE more power up near the redline, but by the time you hit the red you're coming back down the curve. There's a reason all that piping is on there, if improving all around performance was as simple as shortening the length of the intake tract I doubt the engineers at Honda would have put such a convoluted airflow system on there.
    All that tubing acts like an extension for the intake runner, and it's tuned to a certain length to match the ideal airflow needs of the engine.
    At lower RPM the engine wants a certain amount of "dead air" hanging out near the intake, creating inward air pressure and helping air flow into the engine instead of it having to suck in air. Obviously colder air allows for more power, but at a payoff rate of 10 degrees F cooler air = 1% Hp gain, air that's a few degrees cooler is a negligible difference.
    There's also a reason why performance engine builders calculate the ideal length of intake runners to suit their engines.
    I'd suggest a high flow filter but as for a CAI personally I'm not sold. Also: It IS easier to put on on these older cars, but considering that the "sweet spot" on the A20 is much lower in the rev range (3500-4500) than a screaming K20, or B18 (Where it's up near 7-8 Grand) you might be better off without one. I know I sound preachy, and obviously as for my advice you can take it or leave it, but when it comes to CAI I think a lot of people have "drunk the kool-aid" without doing their own research.
    Many here would probably say I'm just talking put my ass and I don't know anything but so be it. Just do me a favor and try the Butt-Dyno experiment before buying one. Like I said, it'll sound cool when you nail the gas, but you might not find the loss in low end power is worth the tiny gain in top end. Also, all this goes out the window if you have headers or other "go-fast bits" as the airflow needs of the engine will obviously change.

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

More air in-More air out,Its that simple.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Nissan 350z, Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer

The only way an consumption would damage our vehicles would be to add a chilly air consumption, and then pull water into it.

Buzz App | Buzz Apps | Twilio Services | SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin | Privacy Pro | Wifi Based App | Privacy Pro App
    Last edited by DaveE; 10-07-2016 at 05:42 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord LX-I

i really liked the AEM brand but unfortunately they dont have form y car i wont be doing at CAI so do you guys have any suggestion for a gd air filter i can buy NOT fram please -_- lol

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Honda. Wix. Purolator. Delco. Napa.

Really no need to overthink this. At all. Change it when you change your oil. Hell, even swap it out every second oil change. It is one of the most commonly overlooked regular maintenence items on any car. A stock motored car, with no performance tuning does not really benefit greatly with a cold air intake. You are better off making sure your transmission is in good shape and adjustment (automatic), or that your tires are in good shape.

You sound like a younger kid that wants all the gee whiz bang loud exhaust and cheapo bolt on performance crap. But there is one crucial factor you are missing. Unless you want to spend a lot of hard earned cash and time, these Accords are what they are. A fun to drive, very solid, very reliable 4 cylinder 120HP engined car. A good power to car ratio that makes them very nice to drive and get many years out of when taken care of. Unrestricted exhaust tends to get pretty annoying sounding on these things. Tossing on an intake does little good unless you can remap the ECU to do something useful with the extra airflow. Not an easy thing to do on a stock ECU. Even less successful with a stocker carb.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord LX-I

lol well said :P

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord LX-I

going with the k&N thanx for the help you guys

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Thanks @dieselgus and @lostscotiaguy for you insight on why we should not add CAI. Everyone is has hyped up the CAI and I often wondered did it really make a difference. I have not been able to measure the changes.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeharriswho View Post
    Thanks @dieselgus and @lostscotiaguy for you insight on why we should not add CAI. Everyone is has hyped up the CAI and I often wondered did it really make a difference. I have not been able to measure the changes.
    just makes the car sound louder. I installed 2 set ups now but i could not really feel the difference between short ram or full cold air intake.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned