Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reset ECU after install of intake??

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-I

Reset ECU after install of intake??

i was wondering if i need to reset my ECU after i installed my intake...i heard someone said i should.

thanks

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX
    warm your car up then pull the ecu fuese under the hood for about 10 - 15 min. put the fuese back run the engine for 5 min andshut it off it is done.
    Aww. Its Not Pink! How hard would it be to paint this sucker?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    Actually you don't need to warm your car up cause all previous data will be lost. You can do it the easy way and pull the negative battery cable and wait for at least 15-30 minutes to make sure its clear or you can find the ecu fuse and pull it and turn the key over and hold it for 5 secs to clear the memory (no need to wait 15 minutes with the fuse out) and put the fuse back in and crank the car.
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    oh and then you can let it warm up afterwards to gain its new memory.....may run rough at first.
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    hmm, bringing this post up cause i am not sure about these instructions... it looks like i just need to unplug the ECU fuse, start the car, shut it off, plug the fuse back in, and then restart it, and just let it idle for a few min, or do i drive it hard or something?

Vehicle
    Read Signature
    what will it do??
    Last edited by Toby; 11-27-2002 at 03:50 PM.
    -Eike

I Bought My Accord On 25th March 2002

I Wrote My Accord Off On 26th April 2003

Soon I Will Be Driving Another Honda

1988starter
    If you disconnected your negative battery cable durring install then it should be reset.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by bobafett
    hmm, bringing this post up cause i am not sure about these instructions... it looks like i just need to unplug the ECU fuse, start the car, shut it off, plug the fuse back in, and then restart it, and just let it idle for a few min, or do i drive it hard or something?
    Unplug ECU fuse, wait for a while, put it back on, then start the car and let it idle 5 mins or so.
    Don't drive it at all, just let it idle for that time.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    accord HB ( metallic green)
    so ya unplug it with car off, wait a while put it back in then let it idle ? How dose that reset the cpu cause the car is not on when ya pull the fuse, or does it still work.
    89 efi conversion
    17" katana, lude arms, full 2" exhaust/hollowed cat, Ractive intake, centerforce dual friction, msd coil/wires

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i sedan
    yes, as anchovies said, pull out fuse, wait 5-10 min (usually 7min would do for most cars) u can do that while u install ur intake, so when ur done installing, just pop the fuse back in, start car, DO NOT TOUCH TROTTLE!!!! NOT EVEN A BIT!!! just let it idle for 5-10 min. then shut car off, start car, shut off again (yes shut off again) start again, and rev hard, or go drive around hard. =D hope that helps.

I did this with my friend's 01 civic when he installed his intake, and that was instructed by AEM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by GreenMachine
    so ya unplug it with car off, wait a while put it back in then let it idle ? How dose that reset the cpu cause the car is not on when ya pull the fuse, or does it still work.
    The ECU has memory. No power, memory is wiped out. Much like RAM in computers.

Vehicle
    '01 Accord EX Coupe
    what the hell are you guys talkin about??? we are supposed to reset the computer after you've installed an intake?????????

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i sedan
    Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
    what the hell are you guys talkin about??? we are supposed to reset the computer after you've installed an intake?????????
    yup, resetting the ECU will let ur car learn how to deal with the new extra air it gets, so there for better performance.

If you don't reset ECU, ur car will still learn, but i'll take a much longer time, because it is "programed" to deal with stock air flow.

plz correct me if im wrong.

Vehicle
    thats the understanding i have of the whole reason behind it...

SCC had a wrx that lost like 20HP after resetting the ECU becuase it wasnt used to being driven hard.... they had driven it like maniacs for so long that it actually gained power! cool huh!

Vehicle
    Read Signature
    lol
    -Eike

I Bought My Accord On 25th March 2002

I Wrote My Accord Off On 26th April 2003

Soon I Will Be Driving Another Honda

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    thats one boosheet yo. hahahaha, not really i am just kidding. thats an interesting point though. losing hp after resetting the ECU. well when u put the stereo on it, u unplug the cable so naturally u reset the ECU every time right? i am quiet not getting the power loss when u reset the ECU.

Vehicle
    well the car had learned how to drive agressivly, and they dyno'ed it... then they reset the ECU, and dyno'ed it immediately, and the car lost power, since the computer hadnt learned the aggresive driving style yet.... at least thats my understanding.. i am not gonna go find the article though... lol!

maybe i misread it though, thats possible i suppose!

hoholxi
    wut u've said is correct, i have that issue of SCC right next to me, it is the june, 2002 issue, the article starts on page 211, and a clear chart on page 214 or the 2 dynos, between a hard-driven stock WRX, and the same WRX after ECU reset.

the WRX after a high-speed road trip, learned to produce 177hp and 181tq

after ECU reset, the WRX produced 167 hp and 167 tq.

and there is like a whole page on y it prob lost power after reset.

so from wut i can see, ECUs learn and adapt to enviorments over a long period of time.

hoholxi
    ooops, hoholxi is hoho1217, i use hoholxi on other stuff, so i accidentally logged on with this.

and something happend when i signed up for this name, i thot it didn't work, so i created hoho1217.

sorry about the confusion

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord LX-i Sedan
    what im not getting this... So why reset your ecu if your gonna lose hp??

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i sedan
    if u have a new intake, ur engine will take a LONGER time to get use to ur new intake because it is so use to ur stock intake, resetting it will erase wut it learned from using stock intake, and will start learning how to deal with new intake, make sense?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    accord HB ( metallic green)
    So i guess if you've already been driven hard with the intake for a month or so it is probabaly would not worth reseting
    89 efi conversion
    17" katana, lude arms, full 2" exhaust/hollowed cat, Ractive intake, centerforce dual friction, msd coil/wires

Vehicle
    but in my case, with intake headers, and exhaust, i am thinking that resetting it would be smart, just so it can relearn how to drive, while always having the mods (as far as the ECU is concernced)

MY problem is that i cant figure out how to get the ECU reset, although i havent left the fuse out for long periods of time, so i will try that next time i get a chance and let you guys know if it makes a difference.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Damn you guys are talking like the ecu is an IBM RS/6000 or something
    The thing is to have it sit at idle for 5 mins after taking off the fuse or battery so that it can pick the right variables.
    After that, everythings set, you're good to go.
    That WRX lost hp because it didn't have time to put in the numbers.

Vehicle
    yeah i know...

anyway, that was why i couldnt get the ECU reset, ididnt wait long enough, and i havent had time to try again!