Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Manual steering rack!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: Manual steering rack!

what!? i just talked to him and he said that he had several. i'll swing by this weekend and find out for sure. i'll check at Lordco too tomorrow, i've gotta pick up the rebuild kit for my 22R anyways.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

No Good

I couldn't find a listing for a manual rack at lordco for the 86-89 Accords. they are calling the reman people tomorrow to find out more details on this nothingness.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

no good news i assume?

Vehicle

sorry, i've been hiding in the 1 and 2 gen forums, i'll do some more looking-into this week/weekend.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Hey if you guys want manual racks PM me, I know our junkyard always has 3geez with them, or I can get one from the wreckers and use it as a core and get you a new reman one... let me know.

Vehicle

hmm im definetly interested. could you also get the front x-member? im assuming shipping will be the bad part of this little venture. but if you are willing to pull this stuff or track it down (nothing available down here for me to pull) then pm me with a ballparked cost, and ill let you know.

thanks!

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

sure... I'll hopefully make it to the wreckers in the next week sometime... school and work has taken up most of my schedule, so as soon as I do, I'll let you know. And I should be down in washington in a couple months... i know its a ways away, but you wouldn't have to pay shipping.... I'd just take it with me when I go to see my grandparents.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i
    sure... I'll hopefully make it to the wreckers in the next week sometime... school and work has taken up most of my schedule, so as soon as I do, I'll let you know. And I should be down in washington in a couple months... i know its a ways away, but you wouldn't have to pay shipping.... I'd just take it with me when I go to see my grandparents.

So you have relatives in texas to, Right J/K ? If is dident have to get the cross member I would get one of these from you .
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle

yeah doesnt that suck?!!

well i wonder how much modifying would be involved in adapting the PS rack crossmember to work with manual rack...

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

well what is the crossmember that requires mods? the one under the engine or the rear beam that the rack bolts to? Hash man can you still get the manual rack?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle

i would assume the rear crossmember that the rack sits underneath. i didnt see any steering components near the 'front to back' crossmemeber.

oh ps:

i did a manual steering 'hack' on my setup. it is seriously pretty fine.
    here is what I did:

- remove ALL my PS shit so i have a bare rack, and no rez, and no lines anywhere on the car
    - take the lines that connect to the rack, and cut them, 1-2" from where they bolt in
    - flare the ends a bit so hoses will fit tighter on the metal tubing.
    - now you loop the connections take some hoses and connect a hose between the speedo sensor input and speedo sensor out put on the rack. these two lines have the 12mm bolt size and use the same size tubing
    - now loop the pressurized input line to the output to the rack line, you will need a barbed fitting to step up the size of the hose, because the return line is a lot larger than the feed line. these lines are the ones that use the 14mm and the 17mm bolts to install into the rack.

make sure you use really good hose clamps. i think i still leak a little bit of fluid, but this works well for the time being.
    doesnt take a TON of effort to turn the wheel, its very drivable, but yes you will need two hands! there is a method on honda-tech that involves using a res with a breather on it to allow easier movement of the wheel, and this is supposedly the setup that the RTR integras used!!

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202

just in case you decide to convert instead of buying the rack. ALSO, the next thing I plan on trying is this:
    http://flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1

it seems like it would make the wheel super easy to turn because there is no seal to resist against movement that needs to push fluid!
    Last edited by bobafett; 04-14-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

yeah i hate cornering at low speeds with my power steering disconnected/not working, but if i do that ill have arms like arnold. Im looking into depowering the power rack like the miata one, but im gonna find another rack so i can tear into it and then install it later.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*