Thread: 89 lxi fifth gear issues

DX User

89 lxi fifth gear issues

Hello everyone! I dont have any pics of my accord its just a plain looking tan thing I fell in love with...nothing fancy or modified lol...but it will roast the fake tuners around town LOL!!

Anyways, I bought my car with horrible tranny noises..mainly it has maybe two to three cups of oil in the tranny when I got it home..I found the proper grade of oil at walmart of all places..

When I first got it.the tranny would pop out of fifth gear all the way home..

Anyways I drove the car from Oregon to Vegas and back up through cali after changing the oil in the tranny.

I was driving home from work one day and it popped out of fifth and its like fifth gear no longer exists at all.

There is a slight grinding when trying to place it into fifth but...not like clashing gears just kinda like it just will not reach into gear..like the gear is loose???

I did try to find and search the threads and found one simular thread..but with few replies and no real info..

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Re: 89 lxi fifth gear issues

In our cars we have kinda weak 5th gears. When a gear pops out like that and wont go back in that mean you no long have 5th gear. you can pull the 5th gear cover to see what it looks like that cover is on the outside of the transmission by the passenger wheel.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

It's a pretty common issue on these cars. It burned itself up with too little oil. There are replacements available on eBay and the work can be done with the transmission still in the car.

Here are some threads to get you started.

www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78056
    www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77340
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

As you witnessed, it is primarily a lubrication starvation issue. The manual spec's changing transmission oil every 30K miles. It's easier than changing the engine oil. 5th gear is highest up in the transmission and the oil must be kept topped off to get oil to it.

The 2005 Civic manual says 1.75 quarts of transmission oil will last 100k+ miles, (it's sheered, shot, and full of particles at 40K) ...and they have mainshaft bearing failures. I still change it at 30K miles.

DX User

thanks a tons from all of you...I checked ebay for a few months and just get everything with the term "honda, transmission, or just a ton of useless parts for a CRX.

Dr. snooz..the links don't work.

I am very happy that the tranny lasted over 135K! the previous owner was just a slob..not sure if they he, she, it...ever changed a thing in that little car.

The dizzy cap was still stamped with the original "H" denso. and the plugs were so worn out there was only electrode level with the ceramic and the spark arm was only half there.

sadly...I drove the crap out of it not knowing it was that bad.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-I

I may have a fifth gear you can get.............. think i have a complete transmission.
    2011 Is going to be my year to do it or give it up!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah first check out the condition of your 5th gear. when you replace the oil make sure you use honda manual transmission fluid (MTF)

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread. I had to move lost internet etc... Do you still have this gear?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX-i

Depending on where you live, you could probably go to a junk yard and find a good one. I recommend trying to put an extra half quart of oil in the trans to help keep the fifth gear lubed. I live in LA and on the way home from vegas my fifth gear went. I had to drive all the way home in 4th. Fixed it the next day. Good luck.