Thread: help! Hitachi distributor and/or module and/or a conversion

LX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord-cowl Inducted, 351 CI Police Interceptor Air Filter with high rise hood

help! Hitachi distributor and/or module and/or a conversion

help! Hitachi distributor and/or module

Looking for a solution for 88-89 Hitachi Distributor for a carbed Accord and more specifically a good module. Been trying Advance auto parts........the modules won't pass the
    continuity test....a lot of bad ones out there. 5 remanufactured Cardones...all bad modules.

The Hitachi has three wires, a black ground to the distrib casing and a blue/yellow plus a blue
    wire to the module. Honda dealer says modules are discontinued. I just put a new motor in.

I need an alternative that works. The distributor used vacuum to make it work and no computer
    needed to make it work as far as I know. 12v came in...wire carried signal to the coil to trigger the spark.
    ------------------------
    an alternative?
    Anyone know of a set of points that will fit inside the distributor? I have heard that an 89 Civic
    had points in the 1.5 liter motor. Anyone with experience in a distributor conversion?

Thanks in advance.-Bob
    ---- spring/suspension installation help -mobile alignments -street lowering with your own stock springs...........
    Have a great day! [email protected] 813-839-4281 (24 hrs)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: help! Hitachi distributor and/or module and/or a conversion

Yeah. Switching to points is going to bring way, way more headaches than it's going to cure. Check out RockAuto.com for modules. If you want a new distributor, check out the Richporters on eBay. If you want to think farther outside the box, then look into doing an EDIS conversion: https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-c...onversion.html. That will be a genuine upgrade, though it requires some time to make it all work.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

if you're talking about the 2-wire pickup coil in the distributor, here are some part numbers:

Honda
    30120-PH4-005

Standard
    LX-515

Subaru

Nissan
    22020-15M20

This part can be found in the following vehicles:
    Chevrolet S10 (85-82)
    Chevrolet S10 Blazer (84-83)
    GMC S15 (85-82)
    GMC S15 Jimmy (84-83)
    Honda Accord (89-80)
    Honda Civic (87-80)
    Honda Prelude (90-80)
    Honda Wagovan (87-84)
    Isuzu Amigo (93-89)
    Isuzu Pickup (95-86)
    Isuzu Trooper (87-86)
    Nissan 310 (82)
    Nissan Pulsar (83)
    Nissan Pulsar NX (87-83)
    Nissan Sentra (85-82)
    Subaru Brat (87-81)
    Subaru DL (86-81)
    Subaru GL (87-81)
    Subaru GL-10 (86-85)
    Subaru GLF (82-81)
    Subaru Standard (87-81)
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord-cowl Inducted, 351 CI Police Interceptor Air Filter with high rise hood

Thanks for the interchange info. I checked with the Honda dealer. Good news is the
    part sells for $250. The bad news is he says it is no longer available. I checked
    at some junkyards. The ones they had were dirty/greasy/sitting on a shelf long enough
    that there was corrosion on the terminals and they would not pass the module continuity
    testing. I'm going to post the testing procedures in a how-to thread when I get time.

I will be calling more dealers and find out if they have the part numbers in your list and
    if they can get it. Today I tested two more modules at NAPA and they show no continuity.
    I tested at Pep boys and they have no continuity either.

I will hit the yards again tomorrow. I also have an internet purchase headed my way.
    I read an article that said some places sell a "premium" module. I will start asking for
    that at the auto parts stores.

I'm also considering a crank-triggered ignition if I can find all the parts. My car is down
    and I want something that will get it back on the road.-Bob

Quote Originally Posted by POS carb View Post
    if you're talking about the 2-wire pickup coil in the distributor,
    here are some part numbers:

Honda
    30120-PH4-005

Standard
    LX-515

Subaru

Nissan
    22020-15M20

This part can be found in the following vehicles:
    Chevrolet S10 (85-82)
    Chevrolet S10 Blazer (84-83)
    GMC S15 (85-82)
    GMC S15 Jimmy (84-83)
    Honda Accord (89-80)
    Honda Civic (87-80)
    Honda Prelude (90-80)
    Honda Wagovan (87-84)
    Isuzu Amigo (93-89)
    Isuzu Pickup (95-86)
    Isuzu Trooper (87-86)
    Nissan 310 (82)
    Nissan Pulsar (83)
    Nissan Pulsar NX (87-83)
    Nissan Sentra (85-82)
    Subaru Brat (87-81)
    Subaru DL (86-81)
    Subaru GL (87-81)
    Subaru GL-10 (86-85)
    Subaru GLF (82-81)
    Subaru Standard (87-81)
    Last edited by senor honda; 02-06-2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    ---- spring/suspension installation help -mobile alignments -street lowering with your own stock springs...........

I really doubt you got 5 bad modules dude, I think you have another issue going on
    I can get you one, new, $70 shipped to you, I will even test it in my car first if you want.
    Hit me up
    Eric
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Wait, are we talking about the pickup coil that looks like this?

Or the ignition control module that looks like this?

Dr_Snooz

The Hitachi style is the one on top and mounted inside the distributor below the reluctor. That's what I'm talking about.

The one below is on Tec-style distributors and is externally mounted
    Eric

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Okay. They do have modules on the carbureted cars, but not on the Hitachi distributors. The Toyo distributors also use an ICM like the lower picture. I was cornfused.
    Dr_Snooz

LX User
    Vehicle

Snooz,
    Different MFG'ers call them something different. The top pic is the one inside my Hitachi Distributor.
    My car has a carb.

My 88 Accord had a carb also, but came with a Tec distributor (some mfg'ers call them something different)
    and used the lower module outside the distributor.

The terminology is not important. The top igniter module/ignition control module/coil pickup arrived today and now the car runs...as of an hour ago..... LOL I have two more on order. One will go into a backup distributor that I will carry in the car for 6 months....just in case, and the other module, after testing, will be bagged and go on the parts shelf. My car was down for about two weeks Spare modules and a backup distributor is cheaper than another tow bill. Things could always be worse. If I had bought the module from the Nissan Dealer, they wanted $416! ....and would take a week to order it...if it wasn't discontinued.... LOL

While I was in the junkyard, I picked up another distributor from a 91-95 Honda to do some development work on, to see what it takes to adapt it to a pre-90's Accord. If I can make it work, I will write a how-to on it. I haven't opened it yet, but a good sign is that there are two wires coming out of it
    that are colored coded the same as my 89 Accord....and a bunch of wires that won't be used. Second good sign is that I won't have to use a lathe to make it fit into the cylinder head....some measurements are the same.-Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Okay. They do have modules on the carbureted cars, but not on the Hitachi distributors. The Toyo distributors also use an ICM like the lower picture. I was cornfused.

LX User
    Vehicle

Thanks, folks

I appreciate the help.-Bob

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Before you lose too much hair, do some searching here for OBD1 conversion. It involved putting a 4g distributor into our cars to allow for easier tuning. There should be a lot of how-to's and pictures of a distributor adapter plate.
    Dr_Snooz

LX User
    Vehicle

avoiding a conversion

Snooz,
    Thanks for the tip.

My 89 has no computer....it used vacuum lines. One by one I eliminated
    the vacuum lines years ago. but left the vacuum lines to run the carburetor
    and vacuum advance.

I have been avoiding so far, a conversion that will require a computer and OBD1.
    Casually looking, since the late model distributor has an internal coil, it looks
    like it may be a bigger diameter. Making it smaller, so I can rotate it to set timing
    may turn out to be the biggest challenge.

I will also be finding a middle ground where I can make adapters so
    3 prong mounts fit the two prong mounts of my original Hitachi distributors.-Bob

Before you lose too much hair, do some searching here for OBD1 conversion. It involved putting a 4g distributor into our cars to allow for easier tuning. There should be a lot of how-to's and pictures of a distributor adapter plate.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If I were going to do anything with the distributor other than a stock replacement, I would do the EDIS conversion with a MegaJolt controller like 2ndGenGuy did. I think that's going to be your best bet by far. I owned a 4g Accord and the distributor was known to have a nasty habit of failing suddenly and leaving you stranded. I got a nice tow bill when it happened to me. I wouldn't put a 4g distributor in my car and I surely wouldn't go to a lot of work to retro-fit.
    Dr_Snooz

LX User
    Vehicle

I thank you for the info on the EDIS conversion.
    I don't have a lot of clearance near the crank pulley and I was trying to avoid
    electronics and computers.....as you could see when I was desperate enough to try re-engineering a points
    triggered ignition. LOL

I may look over the info again.

The newer distributor (previous post) did not come from a 4G Accord and as I said, I haven't yet opened it to investigate further.-Bob

If I were going to do anything with the distributor other than a stock replacement, I would do the EDIS conversion with a MegaJolt controller like 2ndGenGuy did. I think that's going to be your best bet by far. I owned a 4g Accord and the distributor was known to have a nasty habit of failing suddenly and leaving you stranded. I got a nice tow bill when it happened to me. I wouldn't put a 4g distributor in my car and I surely wouldn't go to a lot of work to retro-fit.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by senor honda View Post
    I thank you for the info on the EDIS conversion.
    I don't have a lot of clearance near the crank pulley and I was trying to avoid
    electronics and computers.....as you could see when I was desperate enough to try re-engineering a points
    triggered ignition. LOL

I may look over the info again.

The newer distributor (previous post) did not come from a 4G Accord and as I said, I haven't yet opened it to investigate further.-Bob

What model was that distributor from? To avoid electronics you need a distributor with vacuum advance, which I figured Honda had pretty much abandoned by 1990.

C|

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Might want to look at a HEI conversion they are popular on a lot of older distributors. You just use the hopefully stock pick up coil to trigger it if the wave form is correct. Google HEI conversions there is one for Chrysler and IH for sure.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!