Thread: Oh dear I've bought another disaster

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Oh dear I've bought another disaster

Oh dear I've bought another disaster:
    1977 HONDA ACCORD SF NO RESERVE AUTOMATIC CLASSIC RARE HATCH DAMAGED FRONT | eBay

'77 Accord hatchback.

This cropped up upon Ebay with no reserve and since most of its body looked reasonably respectable, and knowing that I have some bits that could save it I was weak at the thought that anything selling for less than $200 was likely to bought by someone interested only in its scrap metal value.

I went to visit it and it isn't good. NO rust, rear quite good, but well used/worn, split seats & dash, the first foot of its left front rail badly crushed and the minor subframe (mounting an engine mount, sway-bar & frt trailing arm) attached to it pushed back an inch or two. Similar to, but worse than this:

This was my Accord many years ago after an altercation with a ditch, and I had the structure expensively & professionally repaired after providing a replacement front. The inner guard being pulled straight and the first 50cm? of front rail replaced along with Radiator support.

I was thinking this car might be repaired the same way, replacing the front section of rail, or taking it right back to the firewall including strut tower as I have seen evidence of upon another Accord.

I also have this sad silver '78 hatch as a parts donor that I made the mistake of buying before finding out it had no syncromesh on 2nd gear and the left rear 1/4 was heavily drowned in body filler after a substantial rear impact had corrugated the car (note tow bar), Aside from many other obvious faults. I also have another inner guard (without rail from the previous repairs), grille, bonnet & rust damaged '77 guard (no good bumpers though).

Car has now been dragged home with much appreciated help from its seller & his AMC Matador 401 and I am kicking myself for not noticing other aspects of the cars damage earlier. Such as engine mountings torn from the cast iron block and movement of the body structure opening up the door gap at the top of the A-pillar by about a cm, with other associated small dents in odd places like the cowl
    I don't think that would be easy to rectify & haven't tried such before, though the car has nothing to loose if there were any way I could try.

Still amazingly NO rust considering it's accident occurred in '04! Though it has suffered a poor quality albeit shiny repaint so its panels aren't as straight as they first appear drowned in spray filler, many small dents and bodges like hand sewn repairs to the upholstery, mismatched paint daubed on DEEP paint chips, rear bumper mounted upside down, supplemental switches for engine thermofan, an assortment of different headlight brands etc. It even came with an undesirable Japanese spec. EF CVCC cylinder head & manifolds in the back so my have that engine block in it from a Japanese 2nd hand parts importer many years ago.

Perhaps I should re-evaluate the sad '78 in case I could use this cars rear panel and rear-side back to the strut tower including 'B' pillar upon that car, though I don't hold great hopes if it's tow bar had transferred loads straight into the rear rails. It's 'repairers' had attempted to push the back rearward from the inner 'b'-pillar denting that up in an attempt to straighten the corrugated rear 1/4 before it was body fillered (still bowed outwards).. with yet more damage being added after that. I have more deserving cars than to rush into that.

Most disappointing.
    Yet more 'bits' I don't have room for but might not want to let go of.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: Oh dear I've bought another disaster

Wow that's a hell of a crunch man. But it is only $178. So it's not like it's a huge loss or anything. And I'm sure it's got plenty of parts on it. Or you can swipe the front frame rails from the other silver car maybe? Sounds like a big job though. Think of it this way, you'll probably be able to save more off of that car than anybody else.

Vehicle

Cost me another $120 to get it home of course.
    I guess I just got excited at the thought of saving a car that few others could/would, though that seems less likely now unless the cabin can be straightened.

I managed to resist the temptation of a scruffy blue '78 hondamatic hatch advertised on gumtree a month or so ago, and I really want a Nice blue one.

Vehicle

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You have a handful there. Actually, you have a couple hands full. Not sure what to tell you to do about all the body damage, but I wish you well. Let us know what you end up doing.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Ow that silver hatch looks bad. I hate dealing with frame damage. Theres just too many hidden things that would mess things up later down the road. At least you could have all the usable parts pulled from it so its not too bad.

That blue one doesn't look too bad, get that one!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Blue is terribly tempting in spite of seller, Hondamatic, rust, paint & later frt panels (want rusty old ones), and the fact I have other Accords I should be working on (said I want blue enough times).
    Need job, & have to buy/build shed they won't all fit in anyway..
    Not given up on Silver completely though. If cabin can be straightened, I have parts cars so that entire front could be replaced -including firewall - at factory joints, so no slightly bent rails, firewall or strut towers to affect alignment.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

What were your plans for the silver one? Are you just trying to keep it out of the crusher, or are you looking for something more extensive?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 honda accord

whatever you decide to do, kudos for at least trying. hope it all comes together in the end.

edit for: this is why i come to this forum. to see these beauts restored to their former glory. in short; keep up the good fight.
    Last edited by mopuddin; 02-19-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: add on

Vehicle

I better get to work on a shed to work in first, & better get my act together before the rust away; whether it's this or another one I attack first.
    Feel like I should make some use of the 'parts' cars I have collected, though it's sad to finally dismember them even if it's to save another.
    Not sure how salvageable this engine is (apparently rebuilt some 10,000 km before accident & very clean), with bosses for the left-side (engine frt) engine mount torn from the cast iron block.
    Engine seems to be EG (nonCVCC) head on a JDM EF CVCC block, with another EG head in the back wearing a damaged CVCC cam cover?
    And I already know I wouldn't enjoy it's Hondamatic transmission.
    Swapping a more modern Civic/Integra drivetrain might be easier than finding /repairing original bits.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord hatch

Hey mate, you still punching on with this project?
    That blue one is STILL on gumtree last I checked too haha
    Last edited by '81hatchAUS; 07-30-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Vehicle

Must admit I've not had any progress playing with a Accords.
    Still need shed, have a job to keep me busy for the moment, added a rusty 1g CRX to the list of projects, 1g integra needs clutch & registering & have some maintenance overdue for the '79 & '77 Accords too.
    Hopefully I'll get to play with another Accord though, still the favorite.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

I feel ya man. Having 5 cars to deal with myself is quite a pain. Getting rid of the one that's not a Honda though very soon. Need more money for the Accords.