Thread: 15x7 tire stretching?

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lxi hatch

15x7 tire stretching?

hi everyone, i am in need of some help. i have just gotten myself a nice set of rota shakotan rims. now i know i'm gonna need to do some tire stretching to help out with the tokico and cambers im gonna be getting, but what i really want to know is what tires am i gonna need? i have two 15x7 with 0 offset for the front, and two 15x8 with +10 offset for the rear. i am sure someone has posted about this somewhere but i seem to have trouble finding my way on this website, so forgive me for being stupid.lol! any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: 15x7 tire stretching?

Most people haven't gone with stretched tires on these cars yet, but I'm assuming you're going to slam it. I have 205/50R15 tires on my car, and they have a little bulge going. I'm running 15x7's on it. I can't help much with stretching tires, since I'm trying to fit the widest under my car I can. Similar goals, both of us needing tire clearance.

These cars have big wheel wells from the factory without having to trim anything for whatever that's worth.

Vehicle

thanks for the input and yes im hoping to slam it, i know not very many people would agree that that is a good idea, but i think it would look nice since it isnt a very fast car i decided to take this route. now, i was thinking maybe 195/55 all around, but would that be too much of a stretch? plus, remember i have 15x8 for the rear.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If you're still questioning the direction you want to go, I would recommend driving around with the stock suspension for awhile before changing things around too much. These cars came from the factory with epic handling. They aren't straight line fast, but very few cars will go around a corner faster. Once you get a feel for it, you probably aren't going to want to change it.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

i will keep that in mind. thank you.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I'm not a stance guy, but I think these cars look good on the pavement.

I think I'd go with a 185 or so, a 195 isn't going to give you much stretch. How much stretch are you looking for?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I'm not a stance guy, but I think these cars look good on the pavement.

I think I'd go with a 185 or so, a 195 isn't going to give you much stretch. How much stretch are you looking for?

well im not really trying to go too far on the stretching, just to make sure they dont kill the fender(or get killed by it). i dont want to go too far on stancing, i dont want to over kill it. i've been doin some research and i was thinking 185 too but since im running 8in in the back will it cause it to look lower than the front (because of a wider rim coverage)? im curious since i dont want to do anything too dramatic that might end up hurting the car.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Well, I think I should be able to give some advice on this one. Tire size and which tires you go with will make a big difference and a 195/55 will be too big for what you are trying to achieve.
    My wheels are a 15x7 +27 front and rear, I used to have 195/50/15 Kumho's on them, rear fenders required some minor fender rolling but not much to avoid rubbing in hard cornering. Car was on ground controls and was fairly low at the time. Last year I went to a 205/50/15 RE-11 and those tires are a lot more bulgy and I had to re-roll my rear fenders, and need to pull more negative camber in the rear, the fronts also catch on the fender sometimes when cornering slow at sharp angles.
    Depending on how much camber you can dial in, the rears could still be a tight fit, you will have better luck fitting the 8's in the front than the rear unless you pull your fenders some in the back.

I would recommend trying a 195/50 maybe? Good luck, maybe some other members can help a bit more.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i View Post
    Well, I think I should be able to give some advice on this one. Tire size and which tires you go with will make a big difference and a 195/55 will be too big for what you are trying to achieve.
    My wheels are a 15x7 +27 front and rear, I used to have 195/50/15 Kumho's on them, rear fenders required some minor fender rolling but not much to avoid rubbing in hard cornering. Car was on ground controls and was fairly low at the time. Last year I went to a 205/50/15 RE-11 and those tires are a lot more bulgy and I had to re-roll my rear fenders, and need to pull more negative camber in the rear, the fronts also catch on the fender sometimes when cornering slow at sharp angles.
    Depending on how much camber you can dial in, the rears could still be a tight fit, you will have better luck fitting the 8's in the front than the rear unless you pull your fenders some in the back.

I would recommend trying a 195/50 maybe? Good luck, maybe some other members can help a bit more.
    hrm, it looks like im gonna really have to do more than i've already expected. i will try the 195, i should of gotten 7" all around, but stupid me thinkin i would be good with 8's. thank you for the input.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Man, it just means you have to do more work to get them installed. You could always do box flares!
    Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 03-10-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Vehicle

Man, it just means you have to do more work to get them installed. You could always do box flares!
    LOL! box flares? would that even look good on our 3gs? i cant seem to picture it. i might do a little fender flare but we'll see. until then i'm going to do some fender rolling/pulling. hopefully that will give me enough clearance, if not then i'll plan from there.lol. thanks.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I think box flares would look really good on our cars, provided they're made well and flow with the lines of the car. It can be done. I need to get better with photoshop.

Vehicle

I think box flares would look really good on our cars, provided they're made well and flow with the lines of the car. It can be done. I need to get better with photoshop.
    if you can show me with a little photoshop that'll be cool. but i think i might skip out on it though, i kinda want to keep the body's original look.

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

iight i been stancing cars for a while if u want a nice stretch here is a couple pics of a 15x7 stretched an a 15x8 with tire brand an size cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    *stance will make her dance*

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by stance_it View Post
    iight i been stancing cars for a while if u want a nice stretch here is a couple pics of a 15x7 stretched an a 15x8 with tire brand an size cheers
    woah, that? is some crazy stretching. i dont know if i would survive on the road with that.lol. i just want to stretch the tire enough so that it wont hit the fender. do you think 185/55 all around would suffice, or would i have to get a differ wheel size for the back incase of maybe a height difference because of a wider stretch on the back? thanks for the suggestion.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Umm, is that a stretched snow tire?

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

yeah a 185/55 will be enough stretch i ran 185/50 on my 15x8 0 offset i had there's not to much of a different's really

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by stance_it View Post
    yeah a 185/55 will be enough stretch i ran 185/50 on my 15x8 0 offset i had there's not to much of a different's really
    thanks

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

no problem