Thread: After market cruise

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord DX coupe, carb, M/T, 300k and counting, *original owner*

After market cruise

Has anyone successfully accomplished this? Is there a particular kit that is better than others?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: After market cruise

Any reason you would fab an aftermarket unit in when you can scavenge an OE unit from the junkyard?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle

Heading to pick n pull today. Gonna check it out!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That will be your best bet if you can find one. And it'll be plug and play, so no drilling, cutting or otherwise frustrating yourself. Spend some time in the manual learning all the parts you'll need. Make sure you get a vacuum actuator that holds vacuum. Push the plunger in completely, plug the vacuum lines with your finger and make sure that the plunger stays down.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

you need the module, it's connecting plug, the pedal assembly out of a cruise car, the cruise control cable, the vaccume unit itself, the steering wheel, and I hope you can wire, it's not by any means plug and play, theres a lot to installing it. you also need the switch and plug for the dashboard, and you will need the great big flat plug that plugs into the cluster, you will need to remove a pin from it to install in the plug for your cluster, you will also need to be able to solder, as there is a diode missing from the cluster circuit board that needs to be soldered in, i forgot, you will need the slip ring behind the steering wheel with the wheel, and it's plug, it unscrews once the wheel is off
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    That will be your best bet if you can find one. And it'll be plug and play, so no drilling, cutting or otherwise frustrating yourself. Spend some time in the manual learning all the parts you'll need. Make sure you get a vacuum actuator that holds vacuum. Push the plunger in completely, plug the vacuum lines with your finger and make sure that the plunger stays down.
    it's not plug and play lol, not by a long shot, I did this, then I took it out because I really didn't feel I needed it there isnt a single wire in a dx for the cruise, the diode is part of the speed sensor circuit
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-07-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Vehicle

i forgot you need the piece that goes in the cluster with the cruise icon on it, and you'll need to add a bulb

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Rostra 250-1223 for the actuator under the hood. 250-3592 for a dashmount switch with engaged light. Only main issue you may have is lack of a vss (vehicle speed sense) signal on this car. 2 options- get a vss pulse generator off the back of a cruise equipped cluster or use the 250-4160 piece from Rostra. You would have to drill one hole in the dash to mount the switch (no biggie, especially if you put it in the blank spot where the oem cruise switch would go), the underhood stuff is quite easy. You could even go the extra step of adding the bulb to the cluster and using the unit's engaged output to flip the bulb on. If you don't want to use the Rostra swich, you could swap out your steering wheel to one with the switches, change over your contact ring and wire up those switches instead (just need to find out if they are normally open or closed and set the dipswitch accordingly).

Properly installed and set up, the Rostra pieces work really well. Used to do tons of them on Cavaliers, Sunfires and Civics in 1996-2003 and zero issues ever.
    Last edited by dieselgus; 04-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dieselgus View Post
    Rostra 250-1223 for the actuator under the hood. 250-3592 for a dashmount switch with engaged light. Only main issue you may have is lack of a vss (vehicle speed sense) signal on this car. 2 options- get a vss pulse generator off the back of a cruise equipped cluster or use the 250-4160 piece from Rostra. You would have to drill one hole in the dash to mount the switch (no biggie, especially if you put it in the blank spot where the oem cruise switch would go), the underhood stuff is quite easy. You could even go the extra step of adding the bulb to the cluster and using the unit's engaged output to flip the bulb on. If you don't want to use the Rostra swich, you could swap out your steering wheel to one with the switches, change over your contact ring and wire up those switches instead (just need to find out if they are normally open or closed and set the dipswitch accordingly).

Properly installed and set up, the Rostra pieces work really well. Used to do tons of them on Cavaliers, Sunfires and Civics in 1996-2003 and zero issues ever.
    why wouldnt you use a factory switch and the existing speed sensor? you solder a diode on to the circuit board and add a pin to the plug and you have a speed sensor

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Was not aware that non cruise equipped cars had the module on the back of the cluster.

Just throwing the kid some options as to how to get it done.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dieselgus View Post
    Was not aware that non cruise equipped cars had the module on the back of the cluster.

Just throwing the kid some options as to how to get it done.
    they all do, the carb computer uses speed input also, they just leave a diode out of a trace on the circuit board, you solder in the diode, add a pin from a junkyard cluster plug, and you have speed pulses. all the speedometers have a flying magnet and a reed switch built in, the difference is anything 90 and up uses a vss with a 5 volt logic signal pulse, and the early cars use a ground trigger pulse as do most early Japanese cars. as far as the indicator, you take the plastic icon piece out of a cruise car, and the amber lens, swap out the circuit board with the bulbs and the icons into the non cruise cluster, solder one wire that goes to the cruise module, and you have a factory cruise indicator
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-08-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    it's not plug and play lol, not by a long shot,
    Would you recommend an aftermarket system?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Would you recommend an aftermarket system?
    I think if someone knows how to wire and knows the tricks to it, like adding the diode and the other bulb cluster, it would be better to use stock then aftermarket