Thread: Valve stem seal replacement

DX User

Valve stem seal replacement

I am going to do the Valve stem seals on my 86 Accord. I dont' have any compressed air to use. I read somewhere that you could put nylon rope (lead it in until it won't go in anymore and leave some hanging out obviously )into the combustion chamber to stop the valve from dropping in.

Could I just rotate the engine until the piston is at TDC? Won't that stop the valve from dropping in?

Thanks for advice.

Jason
    Last edited by SLCPUNK; 11-03-2002 at 01:11 PM.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    ok, if you turn the piston to TDC, the valve will not go down at all, it will hit the piston, so you don't have to worry about aircompressor or string.
    i used aircopressor on mine just to make save, but at one point i lost air and my valve droped, i almost shit my pants, and then i saw that it didn't go down.
    Alex.

DX User
    Thanks for the reply. The first cylinder on Honda is opposite of other tranverse 4cyl engines right? So cylinder one would be on the right if you are standing in front of the engine? Also, which mark on the flywheel will equal TDC for pistons 2,3,4? It seems an easy enough job, I'm just paranoid about dropping a valve!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX Coupe
    grab a manual and it will tell you how to put everything in and how to do it all right..

2, 3 ,4 cylinders use a series of marks on the cam gear and timing belt top cover to make the cylinders at tdc.....

i could explain it but it would take a while.

BEn
    89 Accord 2dr Coupe..not a hatchback!...5speed..sunroof..spoiler..custom carb intake..custom exhaust..hood scoop....312000km