Thread: catch can question

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

catch can question

hey guys i put my catch can on yesterday and now my idle fluctuates between 750 and 1000.do i have to adjust my idle or is there something else.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: catch can question

Where did you put the catch can? Sounds like you might have created a vacuum leak.

Vehicle

I put on the firewall,one line to valve cover and one to pcv valve with breather on top of catch can.

Vehicle

bump!

Vehicle

Well I put new hose clamps on and still have a vacuum leak ,so put it back to stock.I'll have to get some rubber hose to do it,seems the hose I used was to stiff to seal properly.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Well you have a breather on the can... that's pretty much like having a vacuum leak.

Vehicle

Well aren't u suppose to have a breather on the catch can,what do i do to fix that then.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

you need one at the breather connection at the valve cover, this is separate from the PCV valve, then you need an oil separator, which is sealed, between the top of the black box at the back of the engine and the inlet of the PCV valve. the one off of the valve cover, is so under full throttle,when the pcv system isn't functioning, throttle plate wide open, and low vacuum to operate it, blowby doesn't foul up the breather filter on the valve cover, or get oil in to the factory air filter. the other one is to collect any oil that makes it past the factory oil separator, and keep it from making it's way into the engine, you cant just open the pcv to atmosphere like you did originally,

Vehicle

in order for the system to work, the breather at the valve cover needs to be able to get fresh air, and the black box at the back of the engine has to be sealed to the pcv valve, you can add a sealed oil separator between it and the pcv valve, and a catch can open to atmosphere to the breather fitting at the valve cover

Vehicle

So lost do I need something in line between the pcv valve and the catch can or what.I followed the write up for the catch can and the pics look the same as I did,so what did I do wrong.

Vehicle

you can get one of those oil separators for air compressors, home depot or lowes, a lot of people use those, just have to add a drain at the bottom. I think you somehow tried to connect the part of the system with your pcv valve to a vented breather.

Vehicle

I added one hose to the pcv valve that went to the catch can,the other hose went from valve cover to the catch can.on top of the catch can i put the breather that i had on my valve cover.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by import racer View Post
    I added one hose to the pcv valve that went to the catch can,the other hose went from valve cover to the catch can.on top of the catch can i put the breather that i had on my valve cover.
    nothing from the hose at the oil pan to the pcv valve can be vented, you created a vacuum leak, the only thing open to air is the breather at the valve cover

Vehicle

No venting in that hose,all I did was take hose off pcv valve to intake manifold and run a new hose from pcv valve to catch can.so whats giving me a leak.

Vehicle

No venting in that hose,all I did was take hose off pcv valve to intake manifold and run a new hose from pcv valve to catch can.so whats giving me a leak.
    you cant run a hose from the pcv valve to the catch can, the pcv valve hose has to go to the oil seperator, the black box on the back of the engine, you can installed a sealed oil seperator, like the air compressor one, in the line from the black box to the pcv, this catches any oil that gets by, but it has to be a sealed one, not open to air

Vehicle

So how come there is nothing about this in the write up on doing this,all I did was take the hose off the pcv to the intake manifold and run a hose to the catch can like the write up said.the other hose from the valve cover to the catch can with a breather on top just like the write up said.I don't understand what is wrong with doing it this way.Can you show a pic of what you're saying.

Vehicle

?

Vehicle

you cant connect the pcv valve and breather to the same catch can, also a catch can is open to atmosphere, and the oil separator isnt, the pcv valve is a controlled vacuum leak, if you open it to atmosphere. you will upset your air fuel ratio, the restriction of the breather box, and the engine are figured into it

Vehicle

So I can only connect the valve cover to the vented catch can,but I wanted to get the pcv to stop going into the intake manifold so it stops dumping that crap back into the intake.

Vehicle

So I can only connect the valve cover to the vented catch can,but I wanted to get the pcv to stop going into the intake manifold so it stops dumping that crap back into the intake.
    get one of those air compressor oil seperators, they are like 20 bucks at lowes or home depot, just add a regular drain valve in the bowl, normally they are 1/8 npt, they are sealed, the air direction arrow points towards the pcv, or intake manifold, it goes in the hose between the top of the black box and the pcv valve, a lot of people add one of those nylon dish scrubber things into the bowl, those are safer to make sure a piece of a steel wool one doesn't get sucked into the intake, you'll just have to get some barbed fittings and some extra rubber hose is all, from time to time, you open the drain valve and drain the bowl

Vehicle

Think I'm just gonna leave it the way it is for now,didn't think it would be this much of a hassle.