Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I bought another Prelude...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So I bought another Prelude...

So i bought yet another lude... It needs lots of love!!! but its been in storage for the last 7 years, wish it was as clean as it sounds!
    Here are the pics

towing it home (cause its got bent intake valves, Uggg...)

whats missing here?

never thought i'd be going to factory carbs again...

A better hint to whats missing...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Re: So I bought another Prelude...

one of the few short comings of the interior... minus the seat, overall a 6/10

never rearended, clean lights, bumpers...

yea, lots of scaley surface rust... uggg...

one of the few true body defects

other body defect, a dent in the passenger side rear flare

amazing, a straight body...

again, amazing that the front is 100% complete!

a better shot of the driverside, free or major damage, but that paint... yuck
    So yea, thats about it... I'm planning on building this car for Street Touring Compact (or is it classic?) to race in the SCCA. Needs lots of work, and about 10k will get it there... Its main crown jewel is going to be the suspension... I'm thinking custom AST coilovers with some digressive valving for the bumpy courses out here... What ya'll think?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Cool! Looks like a fun project.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

You, sir, definitely know how to embrace the rust! Can't wait to see how the build goes!

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Spent a good 1 and half hours cleaning the interior out since it was such a mess, found some dissapointing things, but also found some things that aren't broken that typically are! But either way, here are the pictures take with my phone...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

This just made want a 2g lude so bad right now

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

I want one too!

DX User
    Vehicle
    N/A

well I'm heading out of town this weekend, but I think I wanna get back up to that yard the next weekend and see if there is anything new. I'll grab those for you then. So send me a PM some time next week and I'll let you know if I can make it

envisionwebhosting free web hosting no ads by EnvisionWebhosting
    leather4sure leather4sure motorcycle leather jacket
    jacketpoint jacketpoint leather motorcycle jackets
    1-hit http://1-hit.com/
    pimsleurapproach http://pimsleurapproach.us
    Last edited by gilroy; 07-25-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

so a couple of weeks ago I removed the head to get it machined and personally found 5 out of 8 valves leaking...

part way through the removal of the head...

pulled the head with the intake manifold attached, thought it might make it easier to disassemble the intake, turns out it is much easier than I remember...

the B1s are the valves that are for sure bent... the b's were still leaking...exhaust all gravy though, no leaks

kinda how its sitting right now, all ugly... yucky. I will say however, the cylinders have NO grooving, I'm expecting that the motor is going to run great, despite the mileage... Hence why I opted to actually spend money on this head rather than just replacing the valves myself and calling good for a while...

the head, cleaned up the cam journals, new intake valves, new valve stem seals, new intake valve seats... with 202K miles, he was extremely impressed with how good of shape the head was, minus all the bent valves...

BAM! Money shot!!! all the pretty valves, and 1mm taken off the head per my request...

It was once said that 1mm off of an a20 head will increase compression by 1 point, ex, a20a3 has 8.8:1 compression, removal of 1mm would increase that to approx. 9.8:1... Now if the very same is true (actually has a slightly higher increase than the previously mentioned 1 point) with a starting value of 9.1:1 compression (pretty sure, but not 100%) with my 1mm taken off, I should be at least at 10.1:1 compression ratio! Still alot off the head, but think of it this way... stock compression ratio on an obd0/1 b16a is 10.2:1... Point is, this should give me a great starting point for this STC car...

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

By the numbers it's more like 0.8 points per mm, but it's all approximate anyway. You should be right about 10:1. That head does look in very good condition for the miles. How are the rocker trunnions?

C|

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

The entire valve train looks good. I honesty carry believe the condition it's in mechanically. Wish the exterior was this nice lol, but I'll take any win i can! Might be building an all motor b series for my other red prelude, and if I do (leaning towards it heavily), this car maybe a little mpg dd for awhile... I may do stuff to it here in there but i doubt I'll be spending 3k on coilovers this year! I will most likely start with some basic motor upgrades and little interior bits. Save the biggest upgrades for later...

SEi User

Don't forget the bore size is 80mm not 82.7mm so the increase in CR ratio won't be as much by just skimming head, if you bored it out and put in 83mm pistons then yes skimming 1mm off the head would get you something pretty high like 10.2:1 or bit more. My next engine will have .5mm off the block 1.5mm off the head and A20A4 pistons which should get me after I've deshrouded the chambers around 12:1 CR ratio probably not far off that now at around 11.5:1 now. Have to replace head gaskets on a regular basis is the only issue the Ajusa ones only last a couple of thousand miles the Felpro ones are much tougher but hard to get and expensive in comparison. Will save the one I do have for a much more hardcore build and probably for the red car's new/spare engine.

That head is amazing condition though and your lucky it's an ET2 I'd be seriously considering a rebore with some cheap NPR pistons for $80 with new rings and pins, set of new bearings and you'd have a seriously good high comp motor you can use stock carbs still with a half decent camshaft you'd easily make 135-140bhp and 140lbft torque at ground level.

SEi User

Or use this head on the openloop block with the ET inlet manifold you had on before! lol! I'm sure the odd shape of the ET engine seems to work better with Webers, before my A20 engine just felt a little lack lustre maybe it was the lower compression so hopefully yours will be better all my previous engines all had ET1 or ET/A18 heads so were quite high compression the A20 had big valves and everything else but the chambers were std size apart from a .5mm skim if it had more skimmed off or chambers welded up like openloops it could have maybe performed better! But my favourite still was that ET1 I had with the very short runners on the inlet manifold for the webers that engine was sweet even though it was a lowish CR ratio 10:1 roughly it pulled so well with just a 272 degree camshaft just a shame I can't get any more head gaskets for it, and also I only have one block left that isn't damged for ET and that's currently the original engine in the red car the other one I have needs a bore repaired as it has a 1mm deep gouge down it, it's already at 82.7mm so needs to be sleeved not sure if it could be welded and rebored.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Again, it must have been late for you in the UK. I've got an a18a1. Shaved head, golden eagle cam gear (to adjust for the shaved head), and a little mad blaster2 coil. Still need to do my full exhaust, but that will have to wait till I get moved around here in a couple of months. When I move motors around, I may install my colt triflo in my a18 motor... rejet the carbs and call it good for awhile. Cars been a great commuter with the gaz coilovers, the new 15x8 wheels, and bombing stereo. Even did some minor lighting upgrades to the car in the form of some auto pals, new silver stars, and led corner light bulbs! Been a fun car. I think I've driven the del Sol once in the last 6 weeks...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Here are some pictures of the car as of late...

Current mods list??? hahaha

Shaved Head
    Golden Eagle Cam gear (to compensate for the shaved head)
    K&N Drop in filter

Spoon Sports Duracon Shift knob
    Vintage Momo Corse Seat

GAZ 1.5way adjustable coilovers
    15x8 +35mm et Traklite wheels

Waiting for install...

Addco rear sway bar (getting powder coated)
    Si rear brake calipers (getting powder coated)
    Nardi Personal steering wheel (need steering boss)

Have really been enjoying this car! I have tons of little plans to make this thing an enjoyable daily for a while. As far as its future goes, I'm not sure what's going to happen. Once I get all moved and settled in... I've got 2 a20's laying around. A full drivetrain upgrade may be possible, but I'm thinking simple. With what I've got laying around the house, I'm thinking obx header, magnaflow high flow to a vibrant ss resonator through t-304 stainless piping to a SS Vibrant Muffler. Re-jetting the carbs, Colt tri-flow cam and just leaving it like that power wise! Get my rear sway bar on, get some SE-i accord hubs and swap in my short geared trans with my lightweight flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, and get some Wilwood calipers for the front! Truely beyond that, I think this car is going to be set for a while...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Very sexy!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

looks pretty cool with the rust i reckon lol

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Looks pretty sick!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

A little mini update... Got the colt tri flow cam in, along with the obx header, thrush resonator, and vibrant twin tip muffler. Removed the silly screens and so far the car feels pretty peppy. Have yet to install my rear sway bar, but ultimately this car has been a blast to drive around, handles fucking great, and looks good. Oh yeah, I also smoked my front corner lenses and front signals... Looks a little better.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord LX, 1986 accord lxi race car, 1987 prelude

Love this car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

So I'm working on a huge update right now, I'm about Half way through the work right now, with my work schedule the way it is, it probably wont be complete for another 2 weeks or so... but I want to give you guys a basic teaser update... but during this update, I have found something very epic. but without completely spoiling all the surprises I'll post the discovery in a later installment. Here is what I can tell you and show you...
    I have been having some cooling issues cruising on the highway through the hills with the heater off, once I turn the heater on, the car cools right down. With a move pending to a NoCar garage, I decided that it would be a good idea to knock a whole bunch of stuff out while the car is down and I still have a huge garage. I decided that I probably should install a new Waterpump and thermostat since I have no idea how long it has been changed. After checking everything out, it looks like it might actually be my radiator that is the culprit, the bottom side of the passenger side is fairly damp, so I'll have to order a radiator (which I haven't done yet). One thing kind of led to another... I decided to install my lightweight flywheel and clutch I have laying around,

which led to a new rear main seal,

then that led to swapping in my cg/hybrid trans,
    ,which led to installing some upgraded motor mounts,
    which led to my baffelled oil pan. Being that my brake pad were all toast front and rear, and that I'm running SE-i Hubs, I guess its time to revamp the brakes, and since I'm doing that, I might as well as rebuild and install a set of Si rear Calipers I've got laying around,

and maybe refresh the rear suspension while I'm at it too, and maybe install some sweet baller rear radius rods,
    and hell how about my Addco Rear sway bar too.. Oh and new brakes cant be installed without also installing some Goodrich Stainless lines all around. Noticed I had a single pair of 15x9 wheels laying around, looking lonely, maybe they need another pair to keep them company.

If that is going to be the case, I might as well as install some extended studs while I'm at it... hell if i'm going to install rear ARP studs, I might as well install them in some brand new rotors along with some Carquest premium bearings.

Needless to say, this thing is getting to be a handful...

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

*hint, If you're really crafty you may be able to stumble onto my photobucket and see some more goodies hiding that I haven't posted yet... just say