Thread: @Clutchnet

Vehicle
    88 LXi

@Clutchnet

Any one buy anything from them in the last 3 months? Cant get a hold of them.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Re: @Clutchnet

I couldn't get through to them about a year ago through phone. Ordered online, received in mail with no problems
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    88 LXi

OK thanks.

Ill try the email route. I was hoping to see if they were still open JIC since it took me 11 months to get a refund from a IH vendor I used. I'm still a little sore from that one.

I got a beck arenly clutch in the meantime to slap in there.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quick update.

Ordered clutch 2/17/2014 this is after multiple attempts to reach them by phone,email and the chat box online I just ordered the damn thing. Charged visa on 2/18.

20 phone calls later I did get a hold of someone right on the 30 day mark. Might be a coincidence I mention that I was calling my VISA account. Oleg assured me my clutch would go out that day with a tracking order #. I got a tracking number on 3/27.

Clutch came on 3/31. 2 day shipper but I guess it takes four days.

I guess in 2014 this is a good business practice but for me its not the way to go. Hope to get it installed this weekend but I have a good mind to just toss it in the trash and find someone else.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'd be scared to use something that came like that. If they care so little about the customer service that everyone sees, what is happening in the factory where I can't see? Hope it works for you.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Sounds like the problem I had with Spec getting my clutch. I ordered a stage 4, get nothing for a week and a half. Call the company I ordered it threw, tbey call spec find out they weren't making stage 3 or 4 clutches for the accord for a while, I swap it to a stage two, they refund me some cash. A few weeks go by I call them again, they say spec's production was on hold for SEMA. Gay. Assure it wouldd be shipped out within a week. Call em back a 8 days later, they say they are waiting on a shipment of something to build the clutch. Gave me 4 more days before it got shipped out. On the 4th day I call to get a refund and they said it was shipped that morning. It ended up being overnighted by someone close to 2 months after my initial payment.

I think the clutch industry is getting cheap. I might just ride to compition clutch next time and have them make me one.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yeah I should have tried a re builder here in town.

I guess what gets me is that at anytime he could have called and said "Im 8 weeks out hang with me" but he didnt until that 30th day and I mean late on the 30th day like 7 pm EST. That tells me he watches when the order goes in and when the last day people can try and get there money back from Visa. Plus the whole west coast vender thing is driving me crazy. I'm still messing with AMR over some custom struts and its been more than a year but thankful no money involved. Andy's aol again its like a seasonal flake out disorder.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Clutchnet makes really good parts (or at least they used to), but their service seems to be pretty lame. I can understand preferring email to phone since it's much less time consuming, but it shouldn't take more than a day or two to get a response.

C|

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well 1000 mile report.

The clutch just f'n sucks. The take up is like one inch of pedal travel the before and after feels like the pedal is not even hooked up. PLUS it chatters like crazy. I was hoping it would break in but its same as day one. To be fair its a new flywheel and im sure its a shit part like anything else you buy new now adays. The adjustment is all the way out on the cable also. It shifts well otherwise holds great. I can shift into reverse and first with no problems at idle. This is with the original trans that I was suspecting was bad but seems ok.

I think he gave me a better than stock clutch as far as holding but it drives more like a race car. I messed with the hot idle to get it over 1000 rpm just to be able to clutch it better. I rode it after about 500 miles at a stop light to heat it a little and it actually slipped a little on take off telling me it wont hold any heat better than a stocker.

Lesson learned.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Well 1000 mile report.

The clutch just f'n sucks. The take up is like one inch of pedal travel the before and after feels like the pedal is not even hooked up. PLUS it chatters like crazy. I was hoping it would break in but its same as day one. To be fair its a new flywheel and im sure its a shit part like anything else you buy new now adays. The adjustment is all the way out on the cable also. It shifts well otherwise holds great. I can shift into reverse and first with no problems at idle. This is with the original trans that I was suspecting was bad but seems ok.

I think he gave me a better than stock clutch as far as holding but it drives more like a race car. I messed with the hot idle to get it over 1000 rpm just to be able to clutch it better. I rode it after about 500 miles at a stop light to heat it a little and it actually slipped a little on take off telling me it wont hold any heat better than a stocker.

Lesson learned.

What kind of clutch did you get? They make all different kinds from stock replacements to super grippy drag racing clutches.

C|

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    What kind of clutch did you get? They make all different kinds from stock replacements to super grippy drag racing clutches.

C|
    Was supposed to be stock replacement.

I would guess hes got a one sized fits all he just ships out and prays they dont call him back. Not that you would ever be able to get a hold of him.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

PLUS it chatters like crazy. I was hoping it would break in but its same as day one. To be fair its a new flywheel and im sure its a shit part like anything else you buy new now adays.
    Just out of curiosity, did you have the flywheel resurfaced before installing? I put in a new flywheel and didn't surface it and I get some chatter too. They told me I didn't need to, but they told me that about new rotors too and that was wildly wrong.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you have the flywheel resurfaced before installing? I put in a new flywheel and didn't surface it and I get some chatter too. They told me I didn't need to, but they told me that about new rotors too and that was wildly wrong.
    No i didnt. Truthfully around here i dont know where i would go anymore. All the machine shops are gone.

Of course its been "ground" to within .000000001 of an inch Iso9001 checked every way from sunday so it cant be bad.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Of course its been "ground" to within .000000001 of an inch Iso9001 checked every way from sunday so it cant be bad.
    Oh yes. Of course. Most certainly not a problem there. I'm sure the flywheel is perfect. What was I thinking? :duh:
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Was supposed to be stock replacement.

I would guess hes got a one sized fits all he just ships out and prays they dont call him back. Not that you would ever be able to get a hold of him.

No, they definitely have a range of different styles and material types they use. What you're describing almost sounds like maybe it's a racing clutch. The pressure plate should be green and the disc should look like any other normal clutch disc (round with springs in the hub). The stronger pressure plates are yellow or red and the racing discs are a puck design (google it) and may or may not have springs in the hub.

I have one of the red pressure plates and a sprung hub organic disc. The pedal feel has a definite snap action to it, with less force required before and after the engagement point. It felt a little weird at first but I really like it. The engagement point is a little narrower than a stock clutch, but engagement is still smooth and fairly easy to modulate. It grips like Sally Struthers to a Twinkie(R).

The flywheel is a lightened and resurfaced stock flywheel.

As far as your goes, not sure what to say. The flywheel should be ok since it's new and so should the clutchnet parts. But I've seen defective/wrong parts right out of the box too, so it happens.

C|

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yes this is the clutch action just as you described. great description! I find it annoying only in that I don't feel like the clutch holds better at all than a stock part.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

update:

One it was a NEW flywheel i got sorry i was not clear at all on that. In fact i got 2 because the first one the dowl pins are off so the old clutch one nor the new one would go over it.

It might finally be a little better as far as the chatter. I can almost down shift with it without the motor trying to jump out of the car at slower speeds.

Im at 332k miles.
    Now running E85.