Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Extended Top Hats and such- Cheddasauto

Re: Extended Top Hats and such- Cheddasauto

Question, If these are mounted on top of the shock tower, what is reinforcing the bolts through the shock tower? Normally the strut is pushing the stock top plate (think of this as a 4in washer) against the bottom of the strut tower thus the tower is reinforced. With these on top, the only thing holding the suspension to the car is the flange of the bolt correct correct? This is drastically reducing the contact area and thus greatly increasing the stress applied to the strut tower. I may have misworded this, if so i can try to draw a picture or explain in better terms. I may be over thinking this as well.

I think the parts look amazing. I really DO NOT want to modify the stock body in any way shape or form. Do I have any options to using these? Is the extended hole what is required for the koni body to fit through the hole or what is required to fit this beautiful piece of metal through it? thank you giving us the chance to upgrade our designs

LX User

If you are mounting it from the top you are to use the stainless hardware supplied. The large head should never such through the steel. Most of the load is carried by the isolator which sits ontop of the spring inside of the tower. The only time those holes will see any real stress is when you bottom out the top hat. I would prefer to see it mounted from the bottom, and if you do mount it from the top, I would recommend a set of washers under the screw or bolt, which I will include from now on. I have seen a set of stock hats mounted ontop of a 3gee for over 5 years without any rips or tears in the steel.

You don't have any other option to mod the hole if you want the shock to travel within it properly. The hole has to be enlarged to 2.000". If the koni body is larger than stock, then the hat will have to be modified, by me, before I sell it to you. The hat is intended for stock diameter shock sizes, as well as after mark shocks that have the same size. If there was a special order, I should be let know of before hand to change the sizing.

To answer Tdurr's question, any stock replacement bushing will work either Energy or OEM. The pictures show a simple Monroe style bushing kit.

Here are some more photos the second round made on the CNC.

LX User

Onto the next step. Now that we have had some sales go through, thank you! And we have had some successful installs and photos, thank you again. I am working on getting the rear set made now. We are looking for another 7 or so sets to be cut.

Here are the renders, they should require no cutting as the shock body can fit inside this assembly and through the tower with no mods. Because of the added size and profiling we are shooting for $165 shipped rather than $155 shipped. I have about three people on the list to get these rolling. They will add 2" of extended travel and again, will allow for the use of stock bushings. I also want to note that the OD of the barrel will be as large as possible to make it as strong as possible. Just waiting on one dimension and I can increase the sizing to max minus .035" for clearance.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

ShyboyCA6 Chiming in for one set!

LX User

Great that is 2 people so far, we need 5 before I can start making them!

Martin Ortega
    Markanthony Soto
    Last edited by chedda_jsauto; 01-05-2014 at 11:22 PM.

LX User

Martin Ortega
    Markanthony Soto
    Alex Taylor
    Jesse Hernandez-Flores

We are starting our run on the rear extended top hats next week. This will be the only time the CN Lathe will be free for a while.

I would like to see some more deposits before we order the material which is $700. I have one deposit. Deposit options are $80. You can find the link to group buy here: www.cheddasauto.com

Thank you all again for the run on the front sets. The rear sets are going to be just as great if not better.

On facebook I also announced the Rear LCA's to be started soon, these rear top hats have to be done first. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by chedda_jsauto; 01-31-2014 at 11:48 AM.