Thread: Tp Sensor

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i

Tp Sensor

WHERE THE HELL IS THE THROTLLE POSITION SENSOR LOCATED??!! I HAVE A 88 ACCORD LXI COUPE AND THE CODE READING TELLS ME THAT THE SENSOR IS BAD. I WANNA CHANGE IT BUT DONT KNOW WHERE IT IS, HELP!!!

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    umm its right on ur throttle body. Its the black plastic shit that is straight across ur throttle linkage. It has a 3 wire pin wihte connector going to it.

To better explain it. u see where ur throttle cable connects? well straight ahead on the back is a black thing?? its ur TPS sensor.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch<-Blown Up!! 96 civic coupe
    How do you replace it?? Mine is like threaded in with nothing 2 undo!! Its werid!!!
    Cold Air intake, Apexi N1 turbomuffler w/2.25 piping, H22 injectors,gutted cat, Dc sport header, accel coil, MSD ignition, Dropzone coilovers

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i
    go to the junk yard and buy the whole throttle body it comes with the sensor

LX User
    Vehicle
    i did that already!!! What about the fast idle control valve?? Aka the idle air control valve??
    Cold Air intake, Apexi N1 turbomuffler w/2.25 piping, H22 injectors,gutted cat, Dc sport header, accel coil, MSD ignition, Dropzone coilovers

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i
    is ur fuel injection or carb??

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i
    so u changed ur throttle body already??

LX User
    Vehicle
    Its efi and yes i changed the Tb already

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i
    so then u might have tightend the bolt on the idle wire to tight on the right side, thats why it accelarates to much. same thing i did. lossen the bolt a bit till its at ur normal idle

LX User
    Vehicle
    which bolt are talking about?? I didnt have 2 reset my throttle cable!!! I just poped it off the old one and put it on the new one!!! It seems like something is sticking BC i moved some vacumm lines around and now its fine except for this high pitch like sqeal that happens when i push the throttle 1/2 way down!! Everyone think i have a turbo!!!!

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord

Question

you changed throttle body's because of the code you got...or...you got the code after you changed TB...????

The IACV is bolted onto the front of the bypass valve body (the funky aluminum piece that has PGMFI printed on it). It has an electrical connector and two small coolant hoses attached to it. If you replace it I would recommend two small worm drive clamps to replace the spring clamps bacause putting the old hoses on new hose nipples almost always ends up with slight leaks.

Anyway, I do think it sucks that Honda chose not to use a throttle position sensor that attaches to the throttle body with screws or bolts.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord Lx-i
    Didnt you have to remove the throttle cable to swap TB'S??? when i removed my TB i had to loosen the cable to remove it from the old TB and when i re-installed the cable i tigtened it to much, thats why it accelerated alot on start up. I changed the TB cause i got a code that said something was wrong with my sensor. When i checked, the sensor had some how snapped of and one piece was stuck in the connector. I switched TB'S and no more Engine Light on

LX User
    Vehicle
    I dont have a engine light on!!! My car just likes to idle on its own!! Its not persistent!!! Like ill start going and it will just chill @ 2000 rpm in between shifts!!! It eventually goes back to normal by it self!!! Than it will jump back up again!!! Will this have to do with my EGR valve!!! I pulled mine off!!!! I was told its my EGR and anouther said its probaley my Idle air control valve!!! PLEASE HELP MY CAR!!!!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by Kevin
    I dont have a engine light on!!! My car just likes to idle on its own!! Its not persistent!!! Like ill start going and it will just chill @ 2000 rpm in between shifts!!! It eventually goes back to normal by it self!!! Than it will jump back up again!!! Will this have to do with my EGR valve!!! I pulled mine off!!!! I was told its my EGR and anouther said its probaley my Idle air control valve!!! PLEASE HELP MY CAR!!!!
    If it does that in between shifts or idling, then most likely is the egr valve.