Thread: cam swap?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord (125000 miles)

cam swap?

I'm in dire need of some more horsepower, since I only have the carbureted engine. Is there a cam from a different honda that will fit in my A20?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121Vw.jpeg 
Views:	371 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	5250  

Vehicle
    88 lxi

Re: cam swap?

No youll have to buy one from bisimoto, delta, or some other company as far as i know of
    88 lxi:
    shortram, msd blaster 2 coil, lowered 2.5" in the rear 3" in the front, stripped because race car XD

Vehicle

Ok, thats what i was thinking too. Thanks

Vehicle
    88 lxi

if you want more power focus more on air, fuel, and exhaust first then worry about a cam. try a Weber carb, a better intake and some headers. that ll give you some more get up and go then you can go with a cam to maximize the efficiency of the mods.
    88 lxi:
    shortram, msd blaster 2 coil, lowered 2.5" in the rear 3" in the front, stripped because race car XD

Vehicle

Ill probably start with a weber carb. Im new to some of this stuff, so i just have a question. If I get a 32/36 carb, how much more horsepower do you think i will get?

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

A 32/36 won't add much power. Go with a 38. HUGE difference. And get a cam regrind from Delta (located in downtown Tacoma). Just take your old cam in there, and they'll regrind it for like $100.

LX User

I found the 32/36 to work very *very* well vs the stock Keihin setup. I *loved* the 32/36, tuned!

Vehicle

Is there really a big difference with the 38? I want a little more "pull" when I hit the gas.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Cam is the first thing I would do best upgrade. Then do your air fuel settings

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    87 accord lx carb

i heard from a old school honda tuner from the early 90s that the weber 36/36 and the 38 are for like all the time screaming power but no real hp gains and that the 32/36 was more for people that daily the car and want alittle more get up and go when you hit the gas...

oh and i thought that the fuel injected cams are a little better than the carb ones? correct me if im wrong

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by truett87 View Post
    i heard from a old school honda tuner from the early 90s that the weber 36/36 and the 38 are for like all the time screaming power but no real hp gains and that the 32/36 was more for people that daily the car and want alittle more get up and go when you hit the gas...

oh and i thought that the fuel injected cams are a little better than the carb ones? correct me if im wrong
    Old school Honda tuner from early 90's? These carbs have been around since the 70 's and I don't understand what you're trying to say. You found another carb option? There are some but you have to make them fit.
    I guess Im just talking out my a hole when I say the 38 added no less than 20 hp to my bone stock a20a1, totaly changed the cars demeanor, sound, throttle response was mind numbing BUT if you want more power on the big end past 5800 then a cam is the only way to get a difference in "pull" at those rpm.
    All this measurable on a butt dyno.
    The 32/36 weber gives you a little boost of power on the big end becaus of it's design as progressive carb where as the 38 is right here right now feeling and kinda won't give a burst after 5k unless you run nitrous or some other charge like h2o or propane.
    I think a programable crank fired ign n may work well with a 38 to get a bit more power up there since you can customize the advance curve.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-27-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yeah, I'm with Roodoo. I had a 32/36 on my car for a long time, with barely any noticeable improvement in power. I later added on a 38, and DAMN it was a huge improvement in power. Not like adding an exhaust, not like adding an intake, not like changing your cam... it's like a truly noticeable change in your car. And that thing was never even properly tuned. I just threw it on the car, and off I went.

Vehicle
    87 accord lx carb

200door i meant old skool tuner from the 90s like when these cars went threw its street racing heavy mod stage... when teenagers could afford these cars. but def thanks for the help. do you know about the fuel injected cams and what power gain is possibly there?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

500 Holley 2 barrel works pretty well for power too if you don't mind the gas mileage or lack thereof, boils the front tires on an automatic 3G with 200,000 on it. 350 Holley and 32/36 Weber feel about the same with the butt dyno, just kind of puke along, but ultimately I went with the Weber for mileage. Only a few miles a gallon more but when you routinely make 130 mile round trips it adds up.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by apache07x View Post
    500 Holley 2 barrel works pretty well for power too if you don't mind the gas mileage or lack thereof, boils the front tires on an automatic 3G with 200,000 on it. 350 Holley and 32/36 Weber feel about the same with the butt dyno, just kind of puke along, but ultimately I went with the Weber for mileage. Only a few miles a gallon more but when you routinely make 130 mile round trips it adds up.
    I havent heard about the holley 500 on these cars. I dont really care about the gas mileage, its already pretty good. so a tuned 500 will do the trick for more horsepower?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 88DX View Post
    I havent heard about the holley 500 on these cars. I dont really care about the gas mileage, its already pretty good. so a tuned 500 will do the trick for more horsepower?
    Mine made really good horsepower and I never took the time to even tune it. I used to race Mod Minis, Ford, which is basically a 4 cyl late model and I just was curious if my race car carburetor would work. So I ordered a 1/2" piece of aluminum plate and made an adapter plate to fit our engines that would bolt a Holley or Motorcraft carb to it and ran my Holley 500 cfm on it for a few weeks. It ran really well but the gas mileage was only about 23 or 24 on the highway and about 16 in town if I remember right. I ordered and ran a Holley 350 cfm for about a year but there was really no horsepower advantage that I could tell so I put a Weber back on it since it gets a little better mileage than the 350.

Vehicle

I'd also like to add that if your the type that likes to save a few $ and enjoy building / tinkering with stuff the Holley is a fun project but if you just want bolt on stuff the Weber 38 is probably the way to go but it costs a little more. 2oodoor can tell you better on the Weber 38 though since he has ran them.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

If you really want to have fun and make power with carbs, install a pair of DCOEs or quads from a 1000cc bike.

For whatever it's worth, I am personally boycotting Bisimoto. In my personal opinion, he doesn't know anything about these engines, nor does he even have a development engine to test any of his mods.
    Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 07-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Vehicle

Great, hey thanks buddy! Ill have to start looking for holley now.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

That Holley and the 32/36 and 38/38 are common replacements for computer controlled carbed cars. Keep an eye out for anything from they 80s, as it might have the carb you need. It used to be fairly common to see DCOEs or work-alikes on SA/FB RX7s with a Racing Beat intake manifold. If you find one of those, pull the manifold, too. They're worth quite a bit, and the carb will sell by itself for at least $150. That puts you pretty close to a cam with the profit. With a new carb and something like a Delta 272, you should have a fairly quick car.

Vehicle

Alright, ill keep my eyes open for the manifolds and carbs. Ive been going to the junk yard quite a bit now looking for carburetors

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

you could also buy like carburator kits that work with our cars. it says it only works with 5 speed and not auto but you might have to ask 2oodoor on how to make it work with an auto(if you have one)

here is the link Carbs Unlimited Weber Carburetor Conversion Kit

after you upgrade your intake you will want to upgrade your exhuast system so the gasses flow much faster(making you more power).

i would do a cam after both of thoes or else the engine will not be able to flow to its max potential.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    after you upgrade your intake
    What intake upgrades are available for carbed engines? Besides building an intake from scratch