Thread: acceleration help

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i, 00 Civic EX

acceleration help

Hey guys, my car feels pretty good after second gear, but how can i improve the bottom end? i want my car to get off the line quicker. any ideas?
    89 Silverstone Metallic LXi, custom Air Intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, A'PEXi N1 exhaust with 2.25" pipe, ACT clutch, Xenon body kit

3geez member since July 11, 2001

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    get an adjustable cam gear and advance the timing after you get your cam remachined by openloop or colt
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Same problem for all FIs I guess.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    i think it's the same for the carbed guys ( at least me ) i hate first gear !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    yeah i was thinking a cam and gear might help. when i get a job, i plan to get the wild cam grind from openloop. then find someone that can make the adjustable cam gear. I was just wondering how the gear works. and if i need a dyno to tune it to where it produces the most power. I planned on talking with Mike from Openloop or Justin abou them, but i havent had the time, so can you guys explain them to everyone in this thread?
    I'm getting a stock LXi cam in the mail in the next couple days, and when i get a job and get some money, i'll send it off. I also thought about getting an LXi head from somewhere and taking it to a machine shop to have it ported and polished.
    also, are all the cam gears the same? can i use a gear from an LX in an LXi?

Micah
    89 Silverstone Metallic LXi, custom Air Intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, A'PEXi N1 exhaust with 2.25" pipe, ACT clutch, Xenon body kit

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    I believe the gears are the same size and have the same number of teeth. So they will work. The purpose of the gear is not to gain power but shift it in the power band. It worked wonders for me. First Gear is the Shit now. I Can hit 60 VERY fast but with every thing good comes the bad. After 60 I experience a very big loss now. Keep in mind I have the cam advanced 8 degrees so that is extreme but the difference in low end torque is extreme too and I love it. My setup now .....is when i race .....its easy as hell to stay with somebody to 60 but after that I spray my nitrous to finish the race out. I find advancing it helps more cause in daily traffic where you don't reach top speeds you can REALLY feel the extra torque in first and second. On a side not I did try retarding it 8 degrees too and it was a real SLUG on take off. So bad with 8 degrees that going up a 45 degree hill it topped out at 45 in second and wouldn't pull no more. I got it out on the interstate up to 100 and WOW ....did it accelerate faster than before...before hand it was 101 ....102.....103.....104.....when i retarded it ...it was 100...105....110...picking up way more easy. Its really up to you in what you want. Don't ask somebody else for there settings cause they might not produce the exact same effect on your car. Do what I did and play with it 2-3 degrees in each direction till you get the power shift you are looking for. I found if you moved it less than that you really couldn't feel it so I always moved it in them increments.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    my car accelerates quicker than any car (not the sport tuned or sports cars) but it can accelerate quicker than a V6 maxima. i always felt my 3g pull hard on the 1st gear no matter what, but u gotta know u wanna race someone, have ur rpm off idle.

1988starter
    My car feels very nice in first

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    My car doesn't. All it wants to do is spin the tires

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by jteuton
    My car doesn't. All it wants to do is spin the tires
    Oh I remember those day's, 13" all season tires, yuck!
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    I hate first on this car, rpm revs, engine sounds like it's working real hard, but an old lady on walking stick can walk faster

Vehicle
    hey jteuton - where did you get your gear? and how do you adjust it? would i have to advance the timing too, or just leave it?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    no I don't have 13's......I have 205/50 15's so spinning them all the way through first is a bigger accomplishment. I didn't mention it but they spin well into second as well. You get the gear out of the junkyard and take it to a real good machine shop. You end up with really two pieces that rotate ccw and cw against each other and lock with set screws. So you bolt the gear onto the end of the cam and you leave the screws loose and the other piece will rotate and then you lock it down. Turning the cam ccw or rotataing it towards the front of the car advances it or rotating the gear and belt and crank towards the windsield accomplish the same thing. To retard you can rotate the cam back towards the windshield or rotate the gear,belt,and crank towards the front of the car. If you can get your hands on a veiner scale gear then you can slack tension on the belt and jump the gear over one tooth for easy adjustments. I forget exactly how many teeth our stock gear has but I figured it up and skipping the gear and belt out of sync one tooth is equivalent to between ~8-9 degrees which is usually too extreme for most people.

Vehicle
    1991 Supra Turbo W/ 12k Miles
    jeuton... is your flywheel custom as well or did you buy that somewhere??? if so .. where and how??? Thanks...
    ~Nathan~

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
    ~StOcK PiCs~

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    Aasco made it for me. It weighs 8 lbs. Get ready to fork over some dough. Go to their website and call their contact number and place an order and it will take up to 2-3 weeks. I forgot the url address but if you do a search on Aasco Motorsports or Flywheels it should return you their website.

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    how do you adjust the timing without an adjustable cam gear?
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    if you go outside and tell me what fuses go to what (see technical section) then i'll tell you how to adjust it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord (Australian Model Si)
    I agree with anchovies...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    yeap..sanjay, ..that old lady is everywhere eh
    and jteuton, that's blackmail man

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    I know.....but I already posted it on like two other threads so he didn't have to look far.