Thread: Just Starting Pinging!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Just Starting Pinging!

I have an 89 LXi with about 235k miles on it. I have noticed that ever since I've had it, if I am cruising around half throttle and I go to floor it, it pings. Well lately it's pinging on almost every acceleration pretty badly IMO.

I have only used 87 octane since I've had the car. Recently I retarded the ignition timing and it didn't help. Now the distributor is retarded to the max and it still pings like crazy. I sea foamed the motor and that didn't help. I tried running octane booster and that didn't help either. Where does this leave me? EGR valve?

Side note, the weather hasn't radically changed or anything like that.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Re: Just Starting Pinging!

Quote Originally Posted by stuntjunkie199 View Post
    I have an 89 LXi with about 235k miles on it. I have noticed that ever since I've had it, if I am cruising around half throttle and I go to floor it, it pings. Well lately it's pinging on almost every acceleration pretty badly IMO.

I have only used 87 octane since I've had the car. Recently I retarded the ignition timing and it didn't help. Now the distributor is retarded to the max and it still pings like crazy. I sea foamed the motor and that didn't help. I tried running octane booster and that didn't help either. Where does this leave me? EGR valve?

Your O2 sensor may be bad or going bad. Your Intake Temperature Sensor could be going bad as well. I would check the resistance on them and see if they're within spec.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

Have you verified that the advance controls inside the distributor are working? Twist the rotor and make sure it springs back. Apply vacuum to the advance and make sure the pickup moves.

Also, with that many miles are you sure its pinging and not rods knocking?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Yes I'm sure the rods are not knocking; this is more of a faint metallic sound, kind of like putting BB pellets into a soda can and shaking it.

I did get a code for O2 sensor the other day but it went away immediately, I didn't know this could affect the pinging. I will definitely check that when I get a chance. Where is the intake temp. sensor? Or if you had the page in the shop manual that addresses this, I could figure it out.

Thanks

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

Yeah, if the o2 sensor is reading too rich it will cause the engine to run too lean, which can cause pinging. Usually I've seen them fail the other way where the sensor reads too lean, and the computer tries to keep adding fuel and finally gives up.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Does the O2 sensor potentially causing pinging only apply to the 88-89 or the 86 to 87 as well?

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Are both O2 sensors exactly the same? If so I could just order two of the same part?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Are both O2 sensors exactly the same? If so I could just order two of the same part?
    The length of the wire from the sensor to the connector is different but the connector and sensor are the same. I just replaced mine a couple of months ago, got the left and the right from RockAuto.com. they were about the same price for each side and both were Denso. If you get the universal where you cut the wire from your old sensors and attach it to the new sensors, they are the same.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Alright I checked both O2 sensors. Sensor "B" read fine within spec. Sensor "A" however read 0.6 at idle and close to 1V at 5K. The manual says it should be at 0.6 at 5K. Is this enough out of spec to warrant pinging?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Alright I checked both O2 sensors. Sensor "B" read fine within spec. Sensor "A" however read 0.6 at idle and close to 1V at 5K. The manual says it should be at 0.6 at 5K. Is this enough out of spec to warrant pinging?
    The manual say it should be above .6v at 5k so 1v is fine but it should drop below .4v when quickly released from the 5k or below 2k depending on the manual. Since sensor A does not go below .4v at idle it should be replaced. It might contribute to the pinging but it might not be the only thing. Personally I would replace both at the same time because the other one is likely to go soon

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I would double check your timing belt at TDC make sure its not installed 2 teeth out. When I bought mine it was.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Alright, I'll order O2 sensors tonight. We'll see what that does for the pinging.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Pinging fixed!! Put the new O2 sensor in this evening and all is good! Thanks for help. Now to reset my timing...