Thread: 1st Gen from the Way Back

DX User
    Last edited by Gas Junkie; 08-18-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Clear up the dupe

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Pics of My First Gen Back in the Day

Man, that's pretty cool! Got any pics of the carburetor setup? I like how you blacked out the grille and color-matched the bumpers and chrome... And those wheels.... Awesome! It really ties together nicely into a package! Random that those wheels bolted right on though! Never seen those before in the 4x120 lug pattern. Were they supposed to not be 4x120 or someone already pre-drill them? Pretty nice score on those! Was that Air dam for the Accord or for another car? Or just a universal piece?

DX User

Pics of My First Gen Back in the Day

Here are a couple of pics I posted a few days ago in the new member forum.

This was my 1980 Accord. Bought it from the original owner around 1986. I had Angelo Roberson in Birmingham build a motor with a non-cvcc head, header, and cam. I was too poor to afford Webers so I fabbed up a 4 barrel manifold and ran a Holley 4150 390 CFM carb. It worked pretty well but just didn't pull quite enough air through the carb to make precise tuning possible. It did, however, get the attention of the V8 crowd.

I added gas struts and a rear sway bar along with a Kamei airdam. I found the wheels in an import junkyard and bought them thinking I would have to have them redrilled for the 4X120 bolt pattern. It was a happy day when the wheels bolted up with no mods.

I had a lot of fun with the car and a couple of years ago when a Kamei airdam popped up on ebay, I bought it. So maybe one day I'll build another one. A friend of mine had a similar vintage Celica and we have ofter thought of recreating our college day rides but cars from the 80s are getting pretty hard to find.

DX User

Re: Pics of My First Gen Back in the Day

Thanks 2ndGenGuy,

I will have to dig through the old photos. I remember one picture of the carb setup. This was before the days of the digital camera and most of the work on this car was done before I had regular access to a camera!

I used a early Accord intake and a 1 1/2 inch aluminum carb spacer. I laid the spacer on top of the intake and traced the outline of the inside of the spacer onto the intake and started cutting. I took the parts to an ace aluminum welder and he put them together. It turned out nice with a decent plentum under the carb.

I sanded the chrome strip on the grille and used some self etching primer and satin black. Same on the bumpers but they were painted to match the body. I had the whole car painted so the bumpers and wheels were painted to match at that time.

The wheels were "unilug" so they actually had eight oval holes so they could fit multiple patterns. Egg shaped inserts and shanked lug nuts were used to fit certain patterns and if no inserts were used it fit 120x4.

The Kamei was specific to the Accord. It fit nicely.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Re: 1st Gen from the Way Back

Wow, glad to see it. Good to see different ideas that might not be thought of today.