Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough Idle Occasionally

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Rough Idle Occasionally

The tach hop is caused by a failing Ignition Control Module. It controls the spark to your engine and can cause the symptoms you describe. If it gets bad enough, it will leave you stranded. Replace it.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

No wait. Better yet, test it with the test described on p. 24-9 of the 1986-89 Accord Master Manual available here: Honda service manuals - The 3geez Wiki

It looks like an intermittent issue though. I would replace it either way.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Rough Idle Occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    The tach hop is caused by a failing Ignition Control Module. It controls the spark to your engine and can cause the symptoms you describe. If it gets bad enough, it will leave you stranded. Replace it.
    You really think it's that? That part definitely doesn't look cheap, and I'd want to replace it myself to cut some costs if possible.
    I really don't want to get stranded some place though..

Also, any recommended places to get it? Maybe even a part number? I came across multiple looking parts with that ICM name :/
    Last edited by hondatech26; 08-31-2013 at 12:37 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by hondatech26 View Post
    You really think it's that? That part definitely doesn't look cheap, and I'd want to replace it myself to cut some costs if possible.
    I really don't want to get stranded some place though..

Also, any recommended places to get it? Maybe even a part number? I came across multiple looking parts with that ICM name :/
    The igniters on the TEC distributors don't go bad very often. I'd probably look for a used one, maybe off of a bad distributor, if I were trying to save money. On 4th gen (which have many more problems with the modules and distributors in general) I have had bad problems with aftermarket parts. The last one was on my mom's 92 wagon. I stole the module out of a locked distributor in the junk pile and problem solved.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by hondatech26 View Post
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/veBBwQIpfSQ" frameborder="0"allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link to video:
    Rough Start 1989 Honda Accord LXi - YouTube
    Ok well great video. 2 things to critque is kill the disco music and you didnt show the temp guage.

I would like to know if the car is real hot when your starting it. To me it sounds like the starter is pulling alot of amps dragging and your noticing the lights diming etc. If you can get someone to test the battery voltage at rest ,running, and the amp draw of the starter that really help. Little stuff like mpg and codes off the ecu help to.

Easy thing to try is make sure you battery terminals are tight,clean on the post. Try to twist them off by hand is the test. Check the ground wire from thd valve cover to the frame. Check your wire connections at the starter it self. The small wire is the start wire pull it and look for corrosion.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Rough Idle Occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by Jafir View Post
    The igniters on the TEC distributors don't go bad very often. I'd probably look for a used one, maybe off of a bad distributor, if I were trying to save money. On 4th gen (which have many more problems with the modules and distributors in general) I have had bad problems with aftermarket parts. The last one was on my mom's 92 wagon. I stole the module out of a locked distributor in the junk pile and problem solved.
    I'd go and grab one from the junk yard, but should I at all be worried that the one I grab could be bad as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Ok well great video. 2 things to critque is kill the disco music and you didnt show the temp guage.

I would like to know if the car is real hot when your starting it. To me it sounds like the starter is pulling alot of amps dragging and your noticing the lights diming etc. If you can get someone to test the battery voltage at rest ,running, and the amp draw of the starter that really help. Little stuff like mpg and codes off the ecu help to.

Easy thing to try is make sure you battery terminals are tight,clean on the post. Try to twist them off by hand is the test. Check the ground wire from thd valve cover to the frame. Check your wire connections at the starter it self. The small wire is the start wire pull it and look for corrosion.
    Haha I made so many test videos and it just so happened that this was the one that showed my problem, so I apologize for the radio tunes and not having the temp gauge visible.

The car isn't exactly hot when I start it, but it definitely is warmed up and that's when it most often occurs. Also I had the battery and starter tested at a auto parts store the other day and the lady said they were both running fine. 100% charge, no sign of starting issue.

Last night I had an incident where I was starting the car and it felt as if it wouldn't start as I turned it over. Starter was clicking. It started briefly with a woosh of air and died. Tried it the second time and again it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by hondatech26; 08-31-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

another thing that can go wrong is the ignition switch. Usually the lights on the dash wont light up when you turn the key and you get a "no start" which to me is no cranking nothing.

Starter clicking is bad connections, starter or battery.

Check that stuff I listed it easy/cheap just time and some eyeballs. maybe switch batteries with another running car.

Could have that parts place check it when your starting it. If the voltage drops a lot it wont start.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

Rough Idle Occasionally

Here is my rough idle video
    http://youtu.be/veBBwQIpfSQ