Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: My 86 Prelude Thread

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: My 86 Prelude Thread

After

Right where its supposed to be! I don't know what happened there maybe theres a difference between the linkage years? Looks like the linkage is too short/bent wrong so the lever is actually pushed forward making it look like its in 4th when its actually neutral.

Yeah I could have took the shifter out and shorten the throw but then I can't be bothered to crawl under the car to get the damn thing out so I'll just wrap the whole interior with old blankets which smells like cat piss and weld it in the car. I basically made my own dual bend shifter lol

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Here are some PICS that I took weeks back

86 Lude by Hazwan Rahman, on Flickr

1986 Honda Prelude by Hazwan Rahman, on Flickr

Popup buddies!

Double Eight-sixes by Hazwan Rahman, on Flickr

You gotta excuse the mess from the wideband. And yeah I already took it off. I want one so bad

grrr!!

Mikuni BST38SS by Hazwan Rahman, on Flickr

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

ha i came to 3geez to find this thread to find some motivation and it was at the top of the list (Y)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh crap Haz. Welding inside the car?! That's gangsta!

I'll only point out that the bare, flat space in the bezel around your tablet, the flat space to the left of the screen, is simply begging for some functional GPS type buttons.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Looking minty fresh Haz, nice mods! Although the car is kind of dirty in the last pics
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

preludes are light cars to start with and with the mods you have you should be able to keep up with the later gens.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Oh crap Haz. Welding inside the car?! That's gangsta!

I'll only point out that the bare, flat space in the bezel around your tablet, the flat space to the left of the screen, is simply begging for some functional GPS type buttons.
    I KNOW! Illuminated pretty buttons. I am so doing that except I need to find a way to interface the buttons to the tablet. And this particular tablet sucks for not allowing me to use the USB OTG and charging at the same time else I would be able to reuse my USB rcjoycon from my old carPC setup and hook up buttons to it. Or I may just use a bluetooth keyboard or remote and hack some pretty buttons to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 87roach View Post
    Looking minty fresh Haz, nice mods! Although the car is kind of dirty in the last pics
    It kinda does I was hoping that noone would notice that

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    preludes are light cars to start with and with the mods you have you should be able to keep up with the later gens.
    I didn't expect the car to keep up with the H swapped 3g and B swapped 2g tbh. Or maybe they wasn't even pushing it hahah

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Car made a weird vibration during idle and kinda smells lean when I opened the windows. Popped the bonnet and I can see one of the many vacuum hoses are cracked open. They were brand new too. Must be some old stock or just crap no name shit. Ordered a bunch of silicone vac hoses on ebay because I can never find one locally in black. They're all blue and its ugly!!

Gotta love how I can definitely tell something is up with the car. Paranoid much?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Brand new hoses that cracked? Couldn't handle all that power is my guess!

I don't think you're paranoid, just in touch with the 'lude
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Prelude

Very nice build.

DrKnife

I just want you to know that you are a motherfucking madman. I have been reading this thread from the beginning for the past couple of days and I am amazed at the stuff you have pulled of with this car. It gives me hope that I can still save mine.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I haven't posted anything since forever but then I barely did anything to the car recently. Been busy with work and dealing with life stuff.

Added those universal rubber lip thing to the rear bumper and replaced the hacked (and beat up) CB7 front lip

Added a backup camera. I don't even know why I did it. Just because I can?

Replaced the tablet with the older gen Nexus 7 which has way more support for car install

I can now run USB host while I charge so I could run this Sony joystick remote meant for Sony headunits hooked up to USB rcjoycon which made it possible for me to change volume, tracks and stuff without touching the screen. Touch screens are annoying to use while driving really. I wish I could use a factory steering wheel buttons but good luck finding one that doesn't look out of place in the 80s interior lol

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Added a choke (enricher rather) knob from a bike. It's a bitch to start in a cold morning (yeah because it would get that cold here in Malaysia hah!)

It's well hidden under the dash. Looks factory!

Added a vacuum actuator to raise my idle when the A/C is turned on. Having it to idle at 1100rpm is getting annoying. I can now run the idle at 900 something and maintains it when the A/C is turned on

Was a bitch trying to find and make it work. I need something that would push instead of pull to simplify install.

Scored these gigantic 14CL15VN calipers for free (ITR setup - non painted) but not sure if I wanna install them. Not that I would need the extra braking power but its free. Maybe someday..

Took these 2 good pics

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Great stuff

Over the top as usual.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Car is sick, as always.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

Bro.. watsapp aku. Zul Accord Hatchback
    Bintulu Sarawak

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

looks like alot of game in here

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I haven't done much to the car in the past few months. Been dealing with life crap and all but I'd rather not bore you with the details so here are some pics of what I've been doing since last week.

I hated the stock cluster so much. I wanted the Si cluster but they're nearly impossible to find here and they're not that good looking either. Digital cluster is out because good luck finding them LOL.

Been playing around and looking at what cluster that I would fit but the choice are pretty limited because of the cluster hood shape being too small and I'm limited to cable speedos. Been playing with the idea of making my own cluster with LCDs and stuff but they just won't look as good as OEM.

Went on eBay and I accidentally found this cheap ass 5th gen cluster so I bought it. I knew it wouldn't fit and I would need to figure out the electronic VSS but I didn't care. I do what I do best, buy first, think about if it fits second LOL

Here's the stock cluster we're all familiar with. So ugly. So 80s. The yellow lettering looked good at first but then it just screams EW

I took the combination switch for another project which kinda failed so I had to scratch that idea. Basically trying to get rid of all the yellow lettering stuff in the car hahah

It fits! Wait no not even close

Some minor trimming later. We might have a different definition for minor but yeah

Wiring mess. Testing it out and see if it even works so don't worry about the mess

Woah it works!

Everything works. My temp reads perfectly. Fuel reads the same as before. Tach works. All warning light works. Except for the speedo of course

Wired the CEL for lols. I need my efi swap now!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I love the lighted needles

Messed around with it. I need to cover up the gear selector as it reminds me of how much I hated the car being an auto. Sucks that I couldn't find a manual cluster for cheap but oh well I can't complain with the price I'm paying

I do have a cool idea of making the gear selector spot to be a bar LED for AFR gauge maybe?

Hacked up cluster surround. I had to cut off the bottom part where the old warning lights were (sooo 80s) and the top part. My life would be so much easier if I have the SI surround

'minor' cutting

Extended the top part just a little by plastic welding the old part

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Made 2 brackets to hold the cluster to the dash

Cleaned up wiring after making sure that everything works

I'll redo the whole dash wiring eventually but this will do for now

Alu piece as a base for my fiberglassing work for the curve on the sides

I didn't get many pics of the fiberglassing work but you get the idea. This is after hours of sanding and body filler

Ready for filler primer

Primed

Fixing some low spots and pinholes

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Done

I'm rather annoyed at this fitment issue but hey considering what had to be done to get it even close to factory fitment, I can't complain! Wish that I have the 5g surround else it would make my life 9000x easier!

This looks as factory as it can get so I can't complain

I'm still waiting for my VSS to get here. I have some ideas on how to make it work.

I've tried the stock 2g VSS inside the old cluster but I guess it gave a different signal or something as it reads wayyyyy too fast. Might be doable if I could alter the signal or something but I'd rather get rid of that stupid cable altogether. More updates as I get the VSS soon!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Also decided to fix my non functional low fuel warning light. It annoyed me knowing that there's something that doesn't work like it should but I just can't be bothered to do anything about it since it requires dropping the tank to replace the thermistor in it. I had everything tested and everything works so I know it has to be the thermistor.

Trying to drop the tank

Its out

Sender assembly. Notice the silver thing with the wire attached sitting next to the pickup screen. That's the culprit. It works independently from the actual fuel gauge float, just in case your float or gauge decided to die and you'll still have some sort of warning before you ran out of fuel.

Thermistor sensor housing removed from the float assembly

Old thermistor next to the new one I got

Soldered in place and everything is put back together. Which is a pain trying to align and lift the tank back into the car. Draining the tank before removal is a pain as well.

Did it work? Yeah it comes on when I have less than 10 liters of petrol and goes off when I added another 3-4 liters like it should from the factory.

Here's the spec of the thermistor I used:

1K NTC Thermistor

Manufacturer: AVX
    Manufacturer Part No: ND03J00102K
    Description: THERMISTOR, NTC, 1K, 3.5MM Body diameter, 3480K Beta Value

I have no idea what the stock value is but this works just fine

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I really like the stock amber glow on the 5g cluster. Matches the rest of the interior lights pretty well but I needed a change so I converted the lights to red LEDs

Red LED strips and a couple of LEDs added to minimize the hotspots and making sure the needles stay illuminated. Sucks that I couldn't get the needles off as its too risky and I'd rather not ruin it but I could have added a couple of LEDs right under the needles to get that modern glowing needle look found on newer cars

Looks kinda orange but it is deep red irl

Had to scrape the coating behind the faces and it wasnt easy to do without taking the face off the gauges

Shit pics but the needles do glow pretty well. Better than stock and definitely better than the stock 2g gauges

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

You never cease to amaze...
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by POS carb View Post
    You never cease to amaze...
    X2 great ingenuity Hazman