Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: My 86 Prelude Thread

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: My 86 Prelude Thread

Sweet as hell conversion, brilliant fab work Haz!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Looks awesome man! That adapter plate for the dizzy looks great. Well, everything looks great!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

So I ran into some issues with my fueling system where my fuel pump would sometimes make this noise where it sucks air due to the way its mounted and how far away and high up from the fuel tank.

I also could hear it starving for fuel if I'm under 1/4 tank while taking a slow corner. By slow I mean like 40kph and also when I'm on a steep incline or something.

Something needed to be done with that. I either would find the EFI tank, mod my current tank, or build a surge tank. I wen't with the surge tank solution as its the easiest.

Not a fan of its complexity with 2 fuel pumps and all that extra hoses and all though but oh well.

Got myself a 3" pipe and some hose fittings and stuff and here's the result

Mounted under the car

Then I realized that the fuel pump could be mounted a bit higher so I made some changes:

Here's my 1337 mspaint diagram of how everything works

The idea is the 3" tube which totals around 0.8 liters of petrol should be enough to provide constant supply to the EFI pump even on hard cornering and stuff since the stock carbed fuel tank has no baffles around the supply pickup. Works the same way as the factory baffled EFI tank - to keep the supply constant to the pump

Carbs don't starve for fuel even on extreme condition as they have the float bowl that would be able to provide the constant amount of fuel at all times to the engine.

It works really well now, its just the stupid stock carbed fuel pump used as a lift pump to the surge tank is kinda noisy

Also not a huge fan of the complexity with all the extra hoses and stuff. More things to go wrong! I might consider modding my current tank for the extra baffles and put a nice high flow in tank pump while I'm at it preparing for the next huge upgrade

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

So I've ordered this cheap DIY wideband from 14Point7 | High Performance Tuning Tools for High Performance Engines

The kit is called SLC Free Sigma Lambda Controller Free | 14Point7

I heard good things about the kit so I figured I'd give it a try. Been wanting to get once since last year while I'm trying to tune my bike carbs but I've got a loaner wideband that I could use. I don't feel like borrowing it again so I got one myself.

I went with the SLC Free A with Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband sensor included with the kit totaling $101.75 shipped to Malaysia. Considering most widebands here would cost at least twice as much, thats CHEAP! Besides I like building my own stuff (and save money while I'm at it)

I plan on hooking it up to the ECU so I can datalog and tune it from there

The kit arrived last week

All components soldered according to the manual

I had no issues assembling everything. Everything is nicely labelled and the components spacings are pretty good but then I've been soldering stuff since I was 8

Included 16x2 character LCD screen to display the Lambda and sensor's temperature

Well after trying to assemble everything, I realized something - IT'S MISSING THE ACTUAL WIDEBAND SENSOR WTF???

I ordered the kit WITH the sensor but somehow it was excluded from the package so I emailed the seller and he replied within an hour and agreed to ship the sensor right away.

I've heard horror stories about their horrible customer service but so far Alan from 14point7 has been pretty helpful to me so far. Sucks that he could have avoided this mess in the first place as now I gotta wait another 2 weeks for the sensor to get here

I'll post a full update and review of the kit once the sensor arrives. Hopefully it would get here next week!

This is how it should look like once powered up

My car is running way too rich right now so I haven't driven it much. I need the wideband so I can get it tuned grrr
    Last edited by Hazwan; 10-21-2016 at 05:42 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

wow nice work haz. amazing stuff. little Bluetooth datalog deal where did you get that? you make it? I was planning on ordering a Bluetooth rtp but idk what you think.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    wow nice work haz. amazing stuff. little Bluetooth datalog deal where did you get that? you make it? I was planning on ordering a Bluetooth rtp but idk what you think.
    Oh yeah I made the adapter myself but I find it to be rather buggy. You could get the adapter for cheap tho. What do you have for your ECU btw?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I've got the sensor few weeks back and here's another thread for the product review and more details about it: https://www.3geez.com/forum/efi-tech/...-slc-free.html

Finished it up with nice braided mesh for the cables

Looks expensive

Years back I had a shop weld an o2 bung on my downpipe and this is what they did

Seriously?

I took the whole downpipe off the car and then I noticed that the flex pipe is leaking. And the piping just by the tank has a bunch of rust holes too so I took the whole thing out

Leaky flex pipe that I just welded them back on because I can't afford that shit yet!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

New 2.25" pipe for the rear section

Sadly I had to leave the part before the resonator alone as I ran out of funds to do so

I tried running the car like this for lols. No vids. It was horrible!

Also tucked the pipe up higher. It was bad before and kept scraping everything

The old mess. See how it hangs too low

Polished the muffler because I was bored

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

While the exhaust was out, I've decided to have some fun with my welder so I took my shifter off to shorten the throw. Because why not?

Remember how my shifter was crooked and I had to cut, bend and reweld the shifter while its still in the car?

I've cut about 1cm off top and added that to the bottom of the ball

Installed and here it is in neutral

4th

3rd

Shifts really good now! Not bad for $0.00 lol

Looks so sexy now! Shifts just as good as how it looks too

Before
    Last edited by Hazwan; 11-05-2016 at 03:56 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Also took some pics of the car

I've done some datalogging and tuning and it runs way better than before. It used to run rich around idle then starts to get a bit lean on the midrange and then goes stupid rich on the higher rpm with the P75 fuel map.

Still not perfect but this is my first time ever messing around with this. Throttle response could use some help as it feels lacking but then I guess I am so used to the bike carbs haha!

Here's a quick video of the engine running

Quick exhaust vid

My mic doesn't pick up the sound properly for some reason but trust me it's not that raspy irl!

I can definitely tell the difference with my fuel gauge now lol! It barely moves but I don't have the exact numbers yet. Still gotta get it fully tuned then I'll report the mpg improvements!

I'm aiming for 14.7:1 for idle because the engine doesn't like anything leaner for some reason. It runs weird and doesn't sound as smooth anything leaner than that. 15.2:1 for cruise and 13.2:1 for WOT. I've got both cruise and WOT covered. I think. Just fine tuning stuff for now.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Oh yeah I made the adapter myself but I find it to be rather buggy. You could get the adapter for cheap tho. What do you have for your ECU btw?
    p06 chipped. running Honda rulez coil on plug module

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

DX User

Absolutely LOVE what you have done here. Im new to the forum. Just picked up an 87 prelude si w/ an a20a3
    Planning on doing a manual trans swap. And some of the same mods you have done. Do tou know if there are any headers that fit the a20 available ?