1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Re: My 86 Prelude Thread

The real engine he needs is in my screen name

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    The real engine he needs is in my screen name
    I got one of those. Not in the car yet but I got one!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Don't know if it makes a difference but I don't have a filter on top I have a snorkel adapter with a filter to the side. May gain some hood clearance that way

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I'm not sure which direction I'm going with the carbs or engine wise but I'm gonna have to see which one is the best bang for the buck. Slapping an A20A head with the single carb is the easiest and cheapest option but I would rather not hack the hood up and mess with the stock line with scoops or anything. Anything with the Weber name here is going to be expensive. Cheapest would be bike carbs but tuning is going to be bitch. I really would like to go with fuel injected but FI A20A is a rare sight here. I don't know yet we'll see.

Anyway updates!

Bought a BA1 bumper last week. So much better looking than the stock EX ones

This also showed up last week. That should take care of the hideous wheel gaps haha

This is why you should sand whatever surface you're going to paint. They didn't even bother sanding the old paint off before laying the blue paint on and it peeled right off after I sprayed them with a garden hose -.-

Door jambs and stuff done

Primered

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

SI bumper on EX supports. I had to drill a couple of new holes for it to fit

I'm shaving the front license plate holes too

After some fiberglass and body filler

Shaved the chrome trim thinggy on the rear bumper as it would look funny with SI front bumper. I'm still looking for SI rear bumper but then this will do for now

All that left now is get the bumpers and side skirts done then its PAINT TIME!!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    This also showed up last week. That should take care of the hideous wheel gaps haha
    Wait, what? You aren't going to cut the springs this time? LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Nope and it's not going to be that low this time! Yes I said that right, make a screenshot whatever as a proof lmao!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Final blocking done, all that left is to PAINT! Hopefully the weather is going to clear up tomorrow. It's been raining here a lot

Shaved rear bumper

omg I can't wait!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Looking so good man! Can't wait to see it in paint!!!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    This suuucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1382194573949.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	5552

Looks like I'm gonna need to build a real booth soon haha. Missed a few jobs because of this too.
    Last edited by Hazwan; 10-19-2013 at 07:00 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Glad to see you so fired up about a car again. It's great to see your progress, even if it's raining a little.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I'm basically depression free ever since I get this car haha. It helps me to distract myself from thinking too much of things. Keeps me occupied for the whole day when I don't have a customer. Anyway weather cleared up today just enough for me to paint the car! It was sunny since 8am till 2pm ish then it started to rain haha. Thank God for that!

Sprayed the ground coat. It's a tri-stage paint so theres 3 different coats.

Both rear bumper and spoiler is giving me problems with paint reaction. Not sure what happened I guess it was just the type of primer I used for them but the both my side skirts and front bumper are fine?

Pearl layer + clear!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Color is supposed to be Honda Sunburst Orange Pearl YR-589P but I sort of cheaped out since the actual formula for it is too expensive so I had to ask the shop to tone the pearl down a little bit and it looks more red than orange now lol. I think I kinda like it now idk

This is what it should look like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	5554

Close enough :p
    Last edited by Hazwan; 10-20-2013 at 03:26 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Damn Dude, that looks awesome! I haven't read a single post on either sites beyond the first few, and in one since I'm dissapointed because I could have followed the whole bit, but in another, its like watching a good show, but a season at a time, rather than show to show! Car is looking good buddy! As far as carbs go... These 38mm Keihins are very similiar to the 38mm Keihins used on the Honda Goldwing motor cycles of the 80s. I'm not sure if that will help simplify this setup or not... however, it is a decent source for jets or jet options. Rich has a little write up on prelude power about the mods for the stock carbies. I've personally got a stock running set of carbs running stock everything (just a K&N filter and a Shaved head) on a motor that has over 200k miles on it, and I average 33mpg in town... My car however is NOT fast! Actually quiet slow... but with the suspension bits I've got done to it, it's still an entertaining ride! Also another option could be some weber DCOE 40s (much cheaper than 45s) on a "custom manifold". on egay, you can find new DCOE 40s for 400$ new per pair (maybe even cheaper for Dellorto or Mukini). The 40s should be able to get you by on power for a long time till you get crazy with the motor. With my shit tuned a20a3 on some DCOE 45's I average about 24mpg. And that is with a cam but also running the mega jolt (which cost about 600$ to build). point is, there is alot of different directions you can take here.... Good luck to ya

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

33mpg town is actually pretty good

I've read about the carb mods on there but I could never feel fast enough with the auto -.- Right now I just want to concentrate on getting the carbs to run correctly before I go on with any mods. That and 5 speed swap lmao I can't stand driving an automatic ever! Right now I have a flat spot going from standstill and it would only start pulling after 2k upwards and when it does, it did it pretty good. I'll check and see whats up once I get the paintjob done and having a chance to actually drive this thing! I only drove her for like 10 miles so far haha!

Anyway more pics!

Washed the interior. It was nasty with dust and dirt from the previous owner. IIRC car was driven through a flood once and water actually got into the interior. Explains why most bolts are rusty but there are no major rust going on anywhere, just some random surface rust which I'm gonna take care of them soon! Also check out my mad tyte JDM bucket seat!

Sunroof is back on. That bitch was heavy and was a huge PITA to do it alone. Ended up asking my dad and sister to help me hold the sunroof while I bolted it up

Spent quite amount of time scraping the paint on the rubber trim around the door handle before reinstalling them. The plastic hinge thinggy for the lock cylinders are broken and was held by a wire. I'm gonna get a replacement from the yard I guess

Rear bumper test fit. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering it was bad and was scratched pretty bad before.

Painted the grille thinggy on the front bumper black. I don't like the look of everything color coded. It just doesn't look right with the body shape imo. I think I'm going to find the Si's side moulding in black as right now it looks.. empty. But then none of the trims are on yet LOL

Color is really hard to capture on camera. It appears solid red and looks brighter in the pics. This is probably the closest to what it looks like in real life but still looks too bright.

And no, I did not paint the bumper with my Accord at the back. Obviously I moved the car outside before I start spraying haha
    Last edited by Hazwan; 10-21-2013 at 05:13 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I thought the Accord had moved on. Cool to see it still around. Your paint and body work is looking epic.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Not for long. Still waiting for the right person to buy it (with cash). I'm totally broke right now. I need to sell her quick else I won't be able to finish the lude

Anyway updates!

Started wetsanding the rear end with 1000grit. It may not look like it in the pics but the orange peel was pretty heavy. Starting with 1000, then move on to 1200, 1500 and finally 2000 then rubbing compound then polish. Yes I still gotta do the rest of the car with 1000 grit. I'm not even close to be done here hah

Test fitted the bumper. Si bumper was the best investment ever! Too bad the CB7 lip is too short else I would reuse that too!

Bumper has less orange peel compared to the rest of the larger body panels. That proves my point that my 50 liter air compressor is tiny!

Look at how flat I got the roof after 1000 grit No more orange peel!

Still not sure why it looks like solid red here LOL

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Regardless man, it looks freakin' awesome! One day you'll capture that pearl with the camera.

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Check your timing on the motor. I known I had a huge hesitation with my timing set low. I adjusted to 24° btdc (stock manual is 20°) and that helped tons! It did hurt my top end a bit but I moved my adjustable can gear into the shaved head and found that off by 3.5°! That's with my head shaved 1mm!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I haven't had my ignition timing set properly yet haha. I need to adjust my valves still. I've been too busy with bodywork stuff and never got around messing with the engine. Hell I only driven the car like 5-8 miles so far? I'll concentrate with the engine stuff once I'm done with the body!

So yeah updates!

Sanded the whole car with 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 And ready for buffing process

First pass with rubbing compound

I'm not done yet. I'm tired and I hate buffing new paintjob. One small mistake and you're gonna have to repaint the whole panel and start over. Besides all the polishing compound tend to get all over my clothes, skin and hair. But oh well the results are going to be worth all the troubles!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Great to see the progress, looks terrific. Was wondering what colour your would choose.
    I do like the extra pointyness of the late/Si front bumper. Will be interesting to see it all together without the side trims, a clean/stark look; can look great but does take some getting used to. You could always put some vinyl tape/striping there for fun/experimentation.
    Some friends found their Prelude carburetors greatly improved after cleaning the 'sliders', slight stumbling upon initial acceleration before. Must do my Honda Z's.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Yeah Si front bumper look a hell lot better than the stock base model's bumper. I think I might find the Si side trims to match too but that would be a bitch to find! Not really feeling the shaved look honestly but I had no choice!

Remember I bought a set of Blox 88-00 Civic coilover sleeve kit few weeks back? I had the fronts installed earlier this morning. I'm going to do the rears later. Hopefully they would fit lol

I don't have a spring compressor so I removed the nuts while the shock and spring is still attached to the body instead of removing them separately and risking the springs flying and potentially hurting me or something

Shock and spring out together

Top hat still attached to the body

O-rings from the kit installed. I'll see if this hold up else I'm gonna find a better way to mount the sleeve

Sleeve mounted

I didn't use the supplied top mount as they won't fit. Besides the coilover springs still fit under the stock top hats properly.

Size comparison compared to stock

Bump stop cut in half

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Done! (fronts at least)

And no, rear end isn't on jacks LOL Its ridiculous how high the stock setup really is!

Perfect amount of drop with the adjusters all the way down IMO. Not too high and not too low. I don't think I'm gonna go any lower like I did with my Accord. It was a bitch to drive properly. Having to slow down in unfamiliar roads because you're trying to avoid all the possible pot holes. Doing like 2mph on speed bumps. Scraping the front lip on slopes etc. I'm done with that :tounge2:

Anyway I'm getting the front top hats extended by welding a piece of pipe to it soon so we'll see how it holds up. Shocks are pretty new (at least according the previous owner). I do know a place locally that could replace the oil with heavier stuff, essentially making the shock stiffer so I'm gonna give that a try. I heard some good results from that so we'll see.

I didn't measure the exact amount of drop I got but I believe its around 2" lower from stock. The adjusters are maxxed down so it might be a problem if you're looking to go lower. I don't think I'm gonna go lower so thats not gonna be a problem to me.

I did the rears except I ran into some problems. The sleeves won't fit! It should fit with some work (sanding both the strut body and inner coilover sleeve) but I opted to go with a pair of spare ebay coilover sleeves that I have in storage and it fits without much work. (ID is slightly bigger than the Blox's sleeve ID)

Unlike the front, I've managed to remove the top nut outside the car without killing myself from flying springs. There's barely any tension on it so I'm good.

Looks like somebody already cut the bump stop in half >< I recall my uncle told me something about he had all shocks replaced because it used to run on cut springs.

I had to grind this nut else the sleeve won't slide in properly

Done and the o-ring just happen to slid into the groove just nice

Sleeve on. I ran into a problem not being able to use the stock dust boot so I'm gonna have to look around the junkyard for something that might fit.

I think I may have missed the all done pics with the top hat installed >< but I had to use the supplied top hat else the springs won't sit properly on the top hat. But I'll get more pictures when I have them off again. These are just a quick test fit since I can't wait to get rid of that horrendous wheel gaps LOL

Front setup: just showing how much travel is left. Which isn't much. Shock body is at exactly the same as upper part of the sleeve so there's like an inch of travel left now. I'm getting the top hats extended anyway so that's not gonna be a problem

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Car on the ground pics

It looks so much better already! Can't wait to get new wheels for it. And reassembling everything ughhhh. I just need to finish buffing the whole car. There's still some spot that I missed and I would rather wait until I'm finished with the buffing process before I put the trim pieces back on again. I'm also going to plasti dip the chrome pieces as I HATE chrome!

I could get the rear slightly lower, more than 1.5" if I wanted but I reckon it would go down a little bit once the interior is back in. Else I can always go slightly lower at the back.

So here's a quick to-do list:

- coat the entire under body and wheel wells with anti rust stuff
    - add a couple of wires for future use (power mirrors, power trunk release, alarm etc)
    - reassemble the interior
    - clean/paint misc trim pieces
    - plasti dip chrome shit
    - axle boots
    - wheels
    - DRIVE THE CAR DAMNIT
    Last edited by Hazwan; 10-27-2013 at 04:27 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

This build rocks!
    Dr_Snooz