Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My 86 Prelude Thread

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: My 86 Prelude Thread

This is so fucking retarded. My engine oil turned white again. 2ndGenGuy mentioned about stretched head bolts which made sense. Except I don't see spending about $70 for 10 bolts, new headgasket, machining the head, and that would cost about $150 total easy. I did however retorqued the head bolts to 60lb/ft and milkshake disappears on the dipstick but theres still traces of them on the head:

That can't be residual since I went for a long drive (about 200km total) and it should been running warm and long enough to burn off any old moisture in oil. I also lost about 2 liters of coolant.

I don't know if trying to fix this cursed thing is a good idea at all. I mean I already spent so much money on engine oil alone - 4 oil changes in less than 1000km, new rod bearings, 2 new headgaskets, 2 new intake and exhaust gaskets, oil pan and vc gasket, misc bits and pieces and that totals around $250 easy. AND ITS STILL NOT RUNNING RIGHT

Went looking for a replacement engine and found this mint low mileage A18A from an Accord. Except I now realized that it has different intake ports than my ET so simplly replacing the old carb and shit back on the new long block is not gonna be an option. I am looking for a quick and easy drop in swap without having to deal with any BSes except thats not going to be the case here. They also wanted about $600 for the long block alone.. which is a ripoff. I was trying to just ignore the price and get it because it was so mint and worth the money since I wouldn't have to worry about anything for at least another 120k miles easy except nope my fucking luck.

Can't find any other ET for sale here either -__-

Whats even worse is I found a 3g front clip with automatic B20A.. for about $1k. Except I don't have that much money and its gonna involve me fucking with some shit. Unless I can reuse the axles from the Accord? Its also an auto so thats a huge turnoff for me. If it was a manual then I'll just grab it and worry about the fi conversion and axles and crap later except its not. MY FUCKING LUCK.

I swear this thing is cursed from day 1. Theres a reason why it was free though.

Took bunch of pics last week but I'm not in the mood to post them all. Here's one though

If you guys remember how I wanted to quit with the Accord before.. this is one of the times where I just want to get rid of the car and probably stop working with anything with an engine or 4 wheels again. I always seem to have the worst luck with them People told me to get the car checked at a real mechanic. nope this mechanic told me that knocking noise was the intake/induction noise and I shouldn't worry about it. I then showed him the worn bearings and hes like "oh". HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO TRUST THEM WITH MY SHIT? Having trust issues is not helping at all.

/fucking rant mode off

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

thats a lot of money for a b20a.
    that plus shipping i could send you all the bits you need to make it work lol

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

What other bits? That front clip basically came with the front t half of the car with everything I need. Except it's an auto

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Three thoughts:

1. The paint and bodywork come last, after the drivetrain is solid. Starting with the pretty stuff is a newb mistake. Now you have to do an engine overhaul all across that lovely paint. Next time, don't be a newb.
    2. Never trust a shop. Learn to do the diagnostic tests and fix what's wrong yourself. My dad's motto was, I may not be the best mechanic, but at least I care. And I can learn. Those are words I live by.
    3. You can't massage away major overhauls. It was obvious from early on that the engine and carb had serious issues. Yeah, your buddy's friend's uncle was able to use some scavenged bearings, epoxy and motor honey to delay an engine rebuild for another 50k miles, and yeah, you can do that too, but it's no substitute for a proper overhaul. Especially when you are building a show car.

I know you look out in your yard and see what appears to be a completed project, but the reality is that you're smack in the middle. You want to drive your car around and show it off to all your friends, but you have work to do, son. Now go do it!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Already on it sir! I've decided that I had enough BS with this engine and going with this minty low mileage A18A from a 3g Accord. Except I have to deal with the vacuum lines infested single carb but that should be temporary until I can source fuel injected parts. Dumping the twin crabs and yes I'm fuel injecting an A18A with various parts from other cars. Finding any pre 90 fuel injected Hondas here is a nightmare so I have to improvise. Building a standalone harness from something else - still undecided and I still don't know what ECU and shit that would work since I'm a fi noob.

I LOVE WIRING I'M NOT EVEN JOKING This is going to be interesting! Getting the engine this weekend hopefully and worry about the rest of the crap later. At least I know this engine is a good solid starting point.

But yeah I know what you mean with getting the drivetrain solid first. It was running good aside from minor carb/ignition issues but there were no knocks or any traces of milkshake when I first started the bodywork I thought it was fine. Problem started a few months after the bodywork is done. Stupid thing -__-

I never and can never ever trust any shop to work on my shit. EVER. That "induction noise" says it all.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh sh!t. Hazwan steps up! This build just got real interesting.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1658579_10151969193622106_1274270010_o.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	5872

Fresh from the yard. Its been sitting there for who knows how long. Its a Japanese import engine. It's sooo mint its not even funny. I can't see any leaks on the outside. It looked dirty from sitting for so long but doesn't look too clean where someone just washed it either. Took a peek inside the oil filler cap and it looks super clean, started right up after 2-3 cranks too! They said they lost the mileage record but I wouldn't be surprised if its less than 100k miles

It's an A18A from an Accord which means I have to use the dreaded single carb with 342423 vacuum lines. I'm going to devac that thing as a temporary setup but like I said I'm going fuel injected later. Not sure if its going to fit under the hood but whatever as long as it runs fine, I'll worry about the rest of the shit later!

Gonna have it installed tomorrow at my buddies place since I don't have a hoist. Shit has 1 week warranty so I gotta me it count!

Now, making a bunch of research on devac the stock carb

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1986/Honda/prelude si

Damn hazwan! Sometimes this shit just plain aint cheap. Just the other day I spent 700$ on cams. Some of these things take time, plain and simple.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Well at least that money is spent on making the car performs better than stock while I paid this much to make mine running like.. stock Oh well thats the price to pay for a free car.

Anyway so the engine was delivered to my place yesterday. Spent some time cleaning and replacing all the important and hard to reach seals while I'm at it

Doesn't look that special here. Typical corrosion and crap

This however, is the reason why I spent this much on a stock A18A. Figured its worth every penny. Should last another 120k without any major work easy

Of course nothing is perfect.

Water pump doesn't look that bad but I'm reusing the one in my ET since it was brand new

HELP! THERES A SQUID LOOKING LIKE CREAT

Replaced the oil filter housing o-ring. It doesn't leak (yet) but its a cheap insurance

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing as I cut and yanked all the vacuum lines out. Seriously though I am forced to do it since the engine did not come with any control box/ECU and some thermovalve thinggy is broken and some random vacuum hoses were cut.

We also don't need the emission equipment so I'm ditching the EGR and whatever the fuck else since I'm going to reuse my other exhaust manifold since its a 4-2-1 design vs this one being 4-1.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

MUCH BETTER! Hoping that it would run too lol

Almost ready to pull the engine

I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU EVER AGAIN

Filthy transmission. I didn't bother cleaning it the last time thinking I would do a 5 speed swap after everything is running after the headgasket repair. nope

Most of the stuff out. All that left is the axle and mounts then it should be ready!

Doing everything all by myself ftw Except I kinda wished that I have friends that would help sometimes WHY do all the cool guys live on the other side of the world??

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

I wished u liver here too game. But looks like solid progress! Keep it up man

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

is it done yet

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I'm not you Can't do an engine swap in 2 hours

And you suck Tim -__-

Anyway I've got the engine out. Took me long enough -.-

Check out my sick engine stand!!

I had to do that else I wouldn't be able to separate the stupid autotragic transmission from the engine. Stupid thing grr I could have done the manual swap by now

I'm going to reuse the timing belt, water pump and the rest of the accessories

Now to separate the stupid transmission, all by myself..

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Its ready to go in! Took me long enough but transferring all the accessories plus buying some misc seals and shit and then coming home and realizing that they gave me the wrong part and having to back again took me the whole day pretty much. The actual swap is like 3-4 hours. Not bad for a first timer.

DONE!!

Cranks.. nope didn't start. I wasn't surprised. Stupid carb.

Took a peek inside the carb and looks like its not squirting gas when I pump the pedal. Probably clogged from it sitting for too long. And yes I could see the gas in the float bowl window so its getting gas.

Took the carb apart and gave it a good clean

Float bowl looks pretty clean but the jets are all clogged. Sprayed with carb cleaner, nothing goes out. It all clears up after a through spraying and cleaning every single orifices. Reinstalled in car, started right up Idles smooth and I can finally idle at 750 compared to the old ET idling at 1400 lol

I can say the swap is done and I did not hurt myself or anything from the process Took me about 2 days to get it done.

Some fail though:

- oil pan drain plug is leaking -______- Now to drain all the oil and replace that stupid thing, again. Same thing happened on the ET too. New drain plug and crush washer. Started the engine, noticed some drips under the car as the car warms up. wtf?
    - weird rattle near the A/C compressor area when it idles low under 800rpm. Sounds a lot like loose mount but every single bolts are tightened properly. I can't find the source of the noise omg!
    - still unsure if the hood would close. It might close without the air cleaner though. Gotta figure out what to do with that. Definitely not cutting the hood

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

So awesome Haz! Does that carb have the thick base heater thing? You could leave that out for clearance. I have an abs scoop you fan have but that would lok weird...too far back on the hood where the space is needed.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I think the throttle linkage would hit the intake manifold if I remove the heater plate.

I've reinstalled the hood and it closes except I can't run an air filter because theres barely a centimeter of clearance between the carb and the hood. It also hit the hood when I'm shifting into R from P but then blame my busted rear mount. Yes I should have replaced that while I'm at it but I can't afford shit right now

Car runs and drives good though. I can definitely feel how it pulls less stronger than the twin carbed ET. It could be the carb and ignition timing but then who cares if its slower. Good running engine > faster but making all funny noises and milkshake engine oil.

I do have a question regarding idle control thing, how do they work? I'm thinking of putting it back since it idles too low in gear and the A/C on and yes I did have the A/C idle thing hooked up and its working properly if the engine is in neutral. Shift into neutral and my idle goes up to 1100rpm. Putting it in gear would drop it into 800 something which is still okay but as soon as I turned the A/C on it would drop down to 600 something.

A/C idle works fine, its now set at 1100 same as with the A/C off. Not sure if I'm missing something here?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Boy Haz, you don't mess around. Congrats on the running engine. If you got some of Cygnus' motor mounts, would that buy you some extra clearance?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

If I can afford it sure. But then I doubt it would even lower the engine by that much to clear the stock air cleaner. Besides its going to be temporary till I can get my hands on the fuel injection parts.

Tried it on anyway

Nope it touches the braces under the hood

Looks like I'm gonna have to do the mad JDM hood tilt

Gave me about 1/2" of clearance by doing that

Also flushed my coolant since I couldn't get all the oily crap from the radiator and I found this

Booo but oh well I guess I'll take rusty coolant over oily coolant/milky oil lol

One fail - 3g Accord temp sender reads lower than what 2g lude had. It reads 1/8 when the fan turns on and it was supposed to be in the 1/2 section like before and according to manual

Tried swapping the old sensor - nope it was stripped because it was stuck on the manifold real good -.- I need to fix this ASAP as I don't want it to read 1/2 and only find out that its already too late!

Took the car for a drive like usual. No funny noises or anything. Drives good but omg its so gutless now This thing being an auto isn't helping

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Hey at least you can drive it now! Nice work on the quick swap!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

slow gutless automatic single carb a18 that runs properly > non properly running engines

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

will be reliable now tho.

Did you do a mechanical secondary on the carb or vacuum?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Yeah snooz is right. Paint job last after you make sure the engine works. But you are more than welcome to work on my autobody. I won't touch it because I'm too busy working And using it as a daily

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Haz I'm proud of your game. It's looking great. Glad u got this guy running, but deff get on the ball to get that temp sensor fixed man.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    will be reliable now tho.

Did you do a mechanical secondary on the carb or vacuum?
    How much difference does mechanical secondary makes? I know it's supposed to improve the throttle response a lot but by how much? I'm running vacuum secondary right now. Knowing my luck my mechanical conversion would get stuck at the worst time possible and going loltoyota on me.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    Yeah snooz is right. Paint job last after you make sure the engine works. But you are more than welcome to work on my autobody. I won't touch it because I'm too busy working And using it as a daily
    It worked, sorta but then it got worse after few months I was done with the bodywork. And yeah I would love paint yours haha your rear door is pissing me off

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    Haz I'm proud of your game. It's looking great. Glad u got this guy running, but deff get on the ball to get that temp sensor fixed man.
    You. -_-

Temp gauge was fixed I think. It was a bad connection on the sensor I think. Cleaned the connector and its reading correct now. Manual for both 3g and lude shows the same value for the sensor anyway so they should be the same.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

at least if the secondarys mechanically operating you know its opening. How do you know your vacuum ones working? could be why the cars so slow. I didnt think A18A engines were that bad.

Dunno what the difference is. ive always ran mechanical because i hate vacuum lines and the carb is loud on WOT with the mechanical linkage.