Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My 86 Prelude Thread

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: My 86 Prelude Thread

Its pretty loud at WOT but nowhere near as throaty as the twin carbs. Its about as loud as my accord and about as fast too lol. Not sure if I wanna do mechanical secondary as I'm keeping the A/C idle boost thing. I'll get a vid of it accelerating if i feel like wasting the petrol someday..

Speaking of that, I filled the tank the other day Something I haven't done since 6-7 years ago. No joke!

I never posted pics how I hacked the filter to fit

Had to remake the base to clear up the crap under it

Mounted off center to use the stock stud on the carb as well as to mount it lower

Replaced one of the studs on the carb with longer ones and reused the stock wingnut to secure the filter

Figured that chrome + green + red filter has to go so I repainted the chrome thing and red base to black

So much better xD

All that work and it still hits the hood sometimes >< But its not that bad so I don't care
    Last edited by Hazwan; 03-02-2014 at 03:53 AM.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Damn 6-7 yrs? Thats crazy

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Figured I'd update this thread. Nothing much happened since the past few weeks aside watching my fuel gauge going down REAL QUICK. Engine is doing great though!

A sneak peek of what to come:

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

What shall we call this engine?

A18A3, or ET3?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

So I get 17MPG with the last fill up which is HORRIBLE. But then its 95% super short distance town driving with A/C on 90% of the time and doing under 60kph which rarely engaged the lock-up. I was expecting something like low to mid 20s. What made the devac'ed carb get such a worse mileage anyway? I'm guessing they are jetted slightly rich from the factory and all the emission crap made it run leaner? I gotta save up to get my fuel injected parts though!

Also bought a used set of 195/55/15 tires with 70% of tread life left for cheap to replace the mismatching 195/50 and 185/55 tires. They are meaty as hell. Fills the wheel gap and rides so much better but then having good set of rubbers might have contributed that.

Did an alignment with strings method. I didn't notice much difference driving wise but I did see feathered tread wear on the rear tires before. And yes I just eyeballed the front toe settings after I installed the coilovers before and there is no funny wear at all! Also added another 2mm on top of extra 2mm to the UCA balljoint holes to correct my horrendous negative camber. I have -0.9+/-0.5 all around which is perfect!

Anyway here are some PICS!!

Meaty ass tires.. because fuck yo stance

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

That really is just perfection right there!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yay!!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Does look great, showing your efforts well.
    Best wishes for getting it running just as well.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Thanks haha. I didn't expect the paintjob to turn out this nice but it did!! Didn't like the red at first but its growing on me.

Anyway I never posted pics of the interior because it wasn't up to my standards but then they can wait till I get everything else sorted out, like fuel injection or 5 speed swap. But here are some pics I took the other day:

Its not too bad but the seats could use some help. My door panels aren't looking too good either. My headliner is pretty dirty and its torn up on the sunroof shade. I need some floor mats as well.

That missing pedal and stupid T shifter is killing it

I have no stereo.

Then I thought of reinstalling my old stereo/carputer from my Accord.

I have a problem with mounting the 7" screen since I have nowhere to integrate it without looking funny. I could get the EQ console but I can never find one locally and getting one from outside MDM land gonna cost a bit of $$$ and I hate waiting anyway. So I test fit the modded 2g Accord console I had in my 1g Accord:

It fits. Everything lines up perfectly. Except for the e-brake which isn't surprising since the armrest portion came from an EG Civic. The gap under the dash could use some help but no biggie

Except that would mean my screen would be mounted way too low and its gonna be partially blocked by the shifter. AHHH!!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Naturally, I had to make things fit. So I hacked the stereo console to accept my 7" screen.

I lose the ashtray in the process but then I don't really use it

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Partially blocked by the shifter in P

All good in D

Not an issue really

But then as I tested the carPC on the bench.. My screen refused to power up. Apparently I broke the ribbon cable that leads to the controller board. So scratch that idea -___- What a waste of time blah!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I test fitted my 7" tablet for lols and it actually fits

Looks like I'm going with the Android tablet route after all.

I didn't like the tablet route at first since it lacked the huge storage I once had with the PC (500gb internal HDD vs whatever max size the SD card I'm gonna be able to use, 64GB maybe?) I know I could hook up an external hard drive to that but then:

I can't really use the USB devices like rcjoycon that is hooked up to my Sony joystick remote commander thing while the device charges. It can be done but requires some software hacking which I lack the skill of doing so and the crappy Asus tablet that I have lacks custom ROM/software support so I'm fairly limited with what I could do to it.

Then theres the inteface issue. I don't really like how things aren't fully integrated. I miss the seamless integration Centrafuse front end software on Windows where everything is available in one application

But then the tablet's screen pwns my crappy ass 800x480 resistive touch screen in every way.

Oh well we'll see how everything goes.

Also I have spent like $20 in epoxy and supplies so yes I am cheap

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User

Great work Hazwan.

One of the guys on pp.com did a similar thing with his centre console and fitted a Double din GPS head unit but like you it needed heavy modding.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

I'm surprised you were able to resist for so long. Sad you had to give up upon the Car-puter.
    Tablet does look easy at first but integrating it that neatly makes a big difference & I am sure you will overcome some of its functional difficulties.
    Having driven in a friends 2g Prelude I'm impressed that Honda mounted the g/shift so high & close to the steering wheel & am tempted to investigate revising Integra to match, though obviously it adds to the difficulty mounting such a screen there without being obscured.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by zedries View Post
    Great work Hazwan.

One of the guys on pp.com did a similar thing with his centre console and fitted a Double din GPS head unit but like you it needed heavy modding.
    Yeah I remember his car. I would do the same too if I have the EQ console to mess around with but sadly I only have this silly single din console with zero room to make it bigger without sacrificing the ashtray.

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    I'm surprised you were able to resist for so long. Sad you had to give up upon the Car-puter.
    Tablet does look easy at first but integrating it that neatly makes a big difference & I am sure you will overcome some of its functional difficulties.
    Having driven in a friends 2g Prelude I'm impressed that Honda mounted the g/shift so high & close to the steering wheel & am tempted to investigate revising Integra to match, though obviously it adds to the difficulty mounting such a screen there without being obscured.
    Yes I noticed how close the shifter to the steering wheel but with it being an auto, I don't really feel the difference Can't wait for the 5 speed swap though! I figured with some custom short throw shifter, its gonna feel awesome!

Anyway I noticed that I have a small valve cover gasket leak near the corners. It was bad enough that it was dripping on the floor. So I figured why not redo the valve cover while I'm at it since I don't really like the blue anymore.

Old paint stripped

Primed

Base

Cleared

It was dry enough for me to get it installed but not 100% cured so I'm gonna let it 'bake' in the engine bay and have the raised parts sanded later

Can't wait to get my FI parts to get rid of that silly green filter haha

I'm going to repaint the engine bay body color when I do my 5 speed swap with some minor wire tuck after the FI swap so I'm gonna have to live with that stupid black paint for now. Going to polish some parts and its going to look sick! I hate my A/C hoses though

Oh and that tablet install has to wait till I could figure some stuff out.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

The tablet could be a pretty cool option. Wire it up so it charges in the car all of the time. Androids are easy to hack on simple stuff. Root it and put a cpu governor on it so it slows it down real slow when it goes to sleep and shuts wifi and/or mobile network off when your not using it. Install a good equalizer on it, if it has network or you have good cell service you can make your phone a hot spot and hook to it wifi and still have radio. Lots of tweaks you can do without a custom rom.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I need a good looking front end app or even a launcher that is car friendly that isn't half assed like 90% of them. I already have the tablet rooted and good idea with the CPU governor. I reckon it would last for more than 2 weeks in standby like that. I've seen people using Tasker to turn on the tablet when the car is running (ACC on, turns the charger and in turn turns the tablet on) and turns it off when the engine is switched off. Any other cool apps/tweaks you can recommend?

I don't like how I can't connect USB peripherals with the OTG cable AND charge the tablet at the same time without hacking the kernel to enable that feature, unless I'm missing something? Anyone??

I've also sanded the raised parts on the valve cover. Looking (Y)

Now the rest of the bay needs to be in red too ><

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

"rocket" cover looks good. and yes you will need to remove that engine and paint that engine bay. use lots and lots of clear coats so it looks shiny as fux!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    I need a good looking front end app or even a launcher that is car friendly that isn't half assed like 90% of them. I already have the tablet rooted and good idea with the CPU governor. I reckon it would last for more than 2 weeks in standby like that. I've seen people using Tasker to turn on the tablet when the car is running (ACC on, turns the charger and in turn turns the tablet on) and turns it off when the engine is switched off. Any other cool apps/tweaks you can recommend?

I don't like how I can't connect USB peripherals with the OTG cable AND charge the tablet at the same time without hacking the kernel to enable that feature, unless I'm missing something? Anyone??

I've also sanded the raised parts on the valve cover. Looking (Y)

Now the rest of the bay needs to be in red too ><
    I'm using dodol launcher on all of my stuff right now. It works on android 4.03 and up. It has some cool features like the ability to hide apps in your app drawer. I like that so you can hide stuff like super user and similar things you don't really use. I get awesome battery out of my phone (2 days) . Not so much on my tablet but there's not a lot of options with a nook tablet and I'd rather have a rom with Android 4.2 I can tweak and make the way I like with 2 to 3 days battery rather than the stock nook 2.3 system that sucks but has awesome battery life. Anyway here a screenie of my launcher.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I did get the tablet installed. Didn't get much detailed progress pics as I was too busy trying to make things work but its all installed and working great.

Its an Asus Memopad HD7 that I got for cheap while back. I wish theres modding support like the popular Nexus 7 but oh well.. I wish I could get the OTG to work while the tablet is charging but right now I'm limited to my 32GB MicroSD card. Not much I could cram into that considering almost all my music collections are in lossless.

I have a cigarette lighter USB charger hardwired to ACC so it would start charging and using this app called Tasker, I could create uhh.. tasks to turn on the tablet and resume playing my music when the ACC is on, and turn the display off, pauses my music and turns off all connectivity (wifi, bluetooth, gps) when the key is switched off.

Sound is connected via the 3.5mm stereo jack into an equalizer mounted under the dash (not visible in pics as it was hidden) and then goes to my 4 channel amp and that powers my 2 6.5" door speakers and 1x 10" sub.

Noone can tell what I have unless they look closely. Stealth install ftw!

Here are some pics!

I'll get some videos of the whole thing in action someday

Right now I'm still not too impressed with the lack of good music player (by good I mean great car friendly UI) and how everything just don't seem integrated enough unlike my PC based carputer where I could run a front end software and it integrates everything - music, videos, GPS in one interface.

Screen location is a little bit low to my liking but its fairly usable. I am so used to the eye level view of the old setup in my Accord

I also need a bluetooth remote or something since controlling my music - volume, track etc is a bitch from the screen alone. I can't reuse the old Sony joystick remote as I has no free USB port. Technically I could use the USB but then I'm gonna lose the charging capability which is stupid!
    Last edited by Hazwan; 04-25-2014 at 05:51 AM.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Not sure what your looking for but this looks like it has a nice interface

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.lava.music

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That is a beautiful install. Dang!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

looks pretty freaking game man! keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

PICS OMG PICS

Something is terribly off with the rear end. Not sure what but its bothering me. Exhaust? Tails? Spoiler?

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

its because its an AB prelude not a BA1