Thread: Alternator on a 88 Accord DX Carbureted

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

Alternator on a 88 Accord DX Carbureted

Just pulled mine out to check why battery indicator was coming on, and ran into a snag. There's NO way to get it out! Carb is in the way up top, the axels are in the way from below, the mounting bracket is in the way to the side, and the other side.. well that's why I'm posting. If you ever have to take one of things off, here ya go:

1. Remove the air cleaner assembly, note where the vacuum hoses go, make sure not to tear any.
    2. Remove the air box, there's 2-3 bolts holding it on, they should all be 10mm. It's the little black plastic box connected to the air assembly with a black plastic hose.
    3. Remove the bolt holding the top of the alternator to the bracket, I also loosened the adjustment screw, just in case. Both are 12mm.
    *WARNING* Do NOT lose the washer that goes between the alternator and the bracket. Alternator-washer-bracket-bolt.*WARNING*
    4. Remove the cables, there's one with a pinch connector, that's the main one, and there's one with a boot, and a 10mm nut on the top.
    5. Jack up the car, and remove driver wheel. May not be necessary but MUCH easier.
    6. Remove the bolt on the bottom of the alternator. 14mm
    7. Get a decent length screwdriver and a hammer, and tap on the bottom of the alternator to push it up out of the bracket.
    8. Remove the heater hoses going into the firewall, and disconnect the heater switch control cable, move them out of the way.
    9. Shimmy the alternator over the transmission bracket and up out the side near the vacuum hose box.
    10. Shimmy the new one in the same way, and reassemble.

Hope this helps anyone concerned that they are told to remove the cv axle to get the darned alternator out of there.

On a FI accord, remove the airbox, and just pull the alternator straight up. MUCH easier.
    What's this button that says "Do not push!"...

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

Re: Alternator on a 88 Accord DX Carbureted

I could probably remove the axle faster than I could do all of that stuff in the list.

Axle removal isn't all that bad unless the outer CV is rusted into the hub or the lower shock through-bolt is stuck in the bushing.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX sedan; 2011 Accord EX-L sedan

I just detached the driver side motor mount and lifted the motor a few inches with a floor jack. Able to slide the alternator around that dumb mounting tab that doesn't do anything.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Ok, I seem to have a Hybrid Accord. Everything that is mentioned here hasn't worked! My car was built 11/88 in Japan. It is a 1989 Accord LX 5 speed manual. Here is what I've run into. Axle removal, not necessary as the OIL PAN is in the way NOT the axle. Tilting the engine, Good one! Mine wouldn't tilt without undoing the other motor mounts. I'm to the point of just selling it to a scrap yard which is a sad way to go just because I couldn't get an alternator out to fix it. I have the original Denso Alternator and seems to be the biggest one that Honda could find. So short of taking the engine out of mine, I'm stumped!!!!
    Jason Russell - Memphis, TN - The Bluff City
    1989 Honda Accord LX B49-M Exterior/Type C Interior

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

Can you post some photos?

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX, 88 Accord Ex-i, 88 accord LX, 02 Hyundi Accent, 1996 Dodge Ram, 1993 Dodge Stealth and a 1990 Jeep cherokee

I thought I pulled my Alt off the car by disconnecting it and sliding it along the firewall to the driver side of the car...

Birthdays are good for you!! Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

I've never had one that wouldn't come out with the axle removed.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131216_165220.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	5745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131216_165231.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	5746

When I go to reinstall the alternator I'll take some pics. It two people, but we got it out! We had to maneuver around hoses, engine/transmission mounts, A/C Control Cables, etc. Wasn't easy but thankful that's over with. Now to get it tested, put new brushes in if needed (or replace the alternator), and then the fun of getting it back in. I believe its the factory original Denso alternator. It was a bugger to get the bolts loose too.

Some info I know about the car: Its had 4 owner (including me), never been in an accident, built in Japan 11/88, US Market LHD, 5speed manual, A20A1 2.0L 1955cc carburetor engine, B49-M Laurel Blue Metallic w/ blue interior, and 100% Honda original. (Pic of car in Signature)
    Jason Russell - Memphis, TN - The Bluff City
    1989 Honda Accord LX B49-M Exterior/Type C Interior

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

On carb models, I just unbolt the heater hoses from their bracket and it goes through the right side of the car. It's really tight but it works. I've done it too many times.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

the two brackets between the dog bone and transmission are actually really easy to remove and give much more clearance

DX User
    Vehicle
    89'Honda Accord LX

like post #3 says, remove driver's side motor mount,jack up oil pan with a block of wood a few inches and in 15 minutes you have your alternator. been there,done that,now it's time to do it again. charging at 17+ volts,bad voltage regulator?