Thread: High pitched squeal

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

High pitched squeal

Hello all,
    I don't know if I will get anyhelp because this probably could be hundreds of things but it is worth a try.
    So in the morning when I leave for work, at 35 miles per hour (but not always but always over) a high pitched squeal comes up from the driver side. One time I pushed the clutch down while it was squealing, and the sound persisted (leading me to believe that it's not a transmission or clutch issue.) It stopswhen I slow down to 35 and works every time. If I keep speed and RPMs fluctuating then it never comes, only when i cruise at a constant speed. In the afternoon and evening the sound never appears no matter how I drive. It happens on all road types, and it increases with RPMs as they rise, unless I'm below 35. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Some people have told me to get prepared to replace the clutch, but I don't know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: High pitched squeal

Sounds possibly like the brake pads need to be replaced. The clutch generally does not make any noise before it fails.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

That's what i thought about the clutch, i have never heard clutch noise. The brake pads and rotors on the front were new on it when i bought it a couple months ago. I confirmed this by looking at them, they looked good and it had new rotors too. I will have to look again, is there anything else it could be?

Vehicle

Sounds like its specific to you speed, not your RPMs? If so, check tires, brakes, bearings, and axles.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    Sounds like its specific to you speed, not your RPMs? If so, check tires, brakes, bearings, and axles.
    x2

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

I have decided that i should probably replace the bearings, since it needs I'm doing front end work anyway then it's probably a good idea. I have never removed a steering knuckle in a car. I plan on doing the work myself anyways. Is it hard, i looked in my Chiltons book but it always sounds easier than it is. I know that the bearings are pressed in, so would i be better off ripping one out of the salvage yard and having bearings pressed into that and then swapping them?

DX User
    Vehicle
    2010 Accord

Are you sure it's not coming from the engine bay? I would describe the belt as being squealing but not a worn brake part. Worn brakes are more like a shrill kind of noise.

Is it like this?

VR6 bad serpentine belt tensioner sound/noise - YouTube

Kind of chipmunk like?

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Not really, it sound more like a whining squeal. It only happens in the morning, so someone at work said that it could be moisture in the bearings. I don't know what that would sound like or how to test that. It's also not a consistent sound. When out happens it won't go away until i slow below 35 mph. Sometimes it takes forever to happen, while other times it well happen the second i hit 35. The only thing that is consistent is that slowing down will stop the sound. It will not happen after 11 am no matter how hard i try. It doesn't happen in the rain either so the moisture in the bearing thing is probably not the case.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You need to stop listening to "someone."
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

That's a dumb thing to say. First of all this site is full of someones second, since i don't know what the sound is being caused by so i need to ask someone. Finally I'm going to stop listening to you because you're not helping me...someone

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

This is random but quite easy to check (I had a similar issue). The bolts holding the A/C compressor. Check to make sure those are both there and snug. If one is missing, the slight movement will cause an annoying squeal that happens while maintaining certain speeds.

Its worth a look, and free to check.

Like I said, happened to me and annoyed the hell out of me till I noticed a bolt was gone.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by running strong View Post
    That's a dumb thing to say. First of all this site is full of someones second, since i don't know what the sound is being caused by so i need to ask someone. Finally I'm going to stop listening to you because you're not helping me...someone
    Well that attitude is not going to get you anywhere. He is implying that your "someone" is very unfamiliar with what he/she is talking about. If you could get a video of the noise we could probably help you out easier.

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Sorry about that I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just taking in idmcnformation so i know what to look for the only reason i put that here was to confirm if that can be a legit reason. He could have said something like"well that someone doesn't know what they are talking about our something. I did get a video but for some reason YouTube won't upload it even though my phone says upload successful. I'm going to keep trying on that. I will let you know when it does upload, or if anyone has some ideas on where to put it let me know.

Vehicle

Sorry about that I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just taking in idmcnformation so i know what to look for the only reason i put that here was to confirm if that can be a legit reason. He could have said something like"well that someone doesn't know what they are talking about our something. I did get a video but for some reason YouTube won't upload it even though my phone says upload successful. I'm going to keep trying on that. I will let you know when it does upload, or if anyone has some ideas on where to put it let me know.
    Go back and see if the videos are there now. A lot if times takes some time to become visable.

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBL...e_gdata_player

The small squeak you can hear every so often is my clutch pedal. The sound i an referring too can be heard around the 10:30 mark and can be heard again shortly after the 12 minute mark. Sorry for the long video, this was one of those no matter how hard i try moments. Is kind of hard to hear due to the wind, but if you listen clearly you will hear it.

Vehicle

Kinda heard it. Check the dust shield to see if it is rubbing on the back of the rotor.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

No need to be testy. My point was that "someone" told you the clutch needs to be replaced. Then "someone" told you that your bearings are getting wet. That someone isn't your best resource for diagnostic info.

My guess is that you have an alternator bearing going out. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. If you let it get worse, it will help you find the exact source more easily and save you money in the meantime.

Hope that helps.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

For the record, he just said could be water in the bearings, because it happens in the morning when it's more humid. Although this evening it happened while i was driving for the first time. Around 7 pm and it's dry as hell, so it couldn't be that. it's a really strange sound that nobody can figure out. Legend_Master, i checked the dust shield and it's rock solid on the fender wall. Dr. Snooz my old car had a bad alternator bearing and the sound was different than this one and more constant, could only be heard at idle, I'm not saying that that's not it though. The breaks are good and solid, I'm guessing that it has to be bearings or axles. Any other ideas, I'm about to do snooz's idea and let it get worse to help isolate the sound better, because i can't seen to figure it out.

Vehicle

For the record, he just said could be water in the bearings, because it happens in the morning when it's more humid. Although this evening it happened while i was driving for the first time. Around 7 pm and it's dry as hell, so it couldn't be that. it's a really strange sound that nobody can figure out. Legend_Master, i checked the dust shield and it's rock solid on the fender wall. Dr. Snooz my old car had a bad alternator bearing and the sound was different than this one and more constant, could only be heard at idle, I'm not saying that that's not it though. The breaks are good and solid, I'm guessing that it has to be bearings or axles. Any other ideas, I'm about to do snooz's idea and let it get worse to help isolate the sound better, because i can't seen to figure it out.
    No the dust shield is attached to the back of the brake rotor. It's a circular piece of metal that is a bit larger then the rotor. A lot of times the bottom is bent, and if it is close to the rotor it will rub occasionally when heated or when turning.

Vehicle

Called the splash guard in this pic.

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

The splash guard doesn't look bent, it could be though. I did notice however that it seems to happen while I'm going over bumps. Bumps like pot holes, road work, or the transition from bridge to road. I am baffled by this.