Thread: Tunning the Carb.

LX User

Tunning the Carb.

Ok I got an 88 accord dx w a carb. Question is tunning the carb for cold starts. Am I right on reading that the cold start idle should be around 2500-2700rpm and when engine warms up it should go down on it's own or with a tap on the accelerator. Also when I first start my car in the morning it only starts at like a 1000rpm then starts to go womp, womp, womp womp like it wants to die. So I just tap the accelerator for a minute then it gets to 2000rpm on it's on no problem and warms up normal. So how do I adjust my cold start idle screw and what are some other things I should look at when I tune my carb up. Car runs just fine otherwise just need to tune the cold start.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    If it sounds like its going to die and has trouble running unless you give it gas, you're choke is not opening properly. I was having the same problem. The thermovalve on the driver side of the intake manifold did not have any vacuum so the choke wouldn't open. You can try a ziptie and put it on the carb to hold the choke open. If it starts and runs fine right away, that's your problem. It could be a vacuum problem or the linkage just sticks. Spray some carb cleaner on the throttle linkage and then check for vacuum at the thermovalve or the choke opener diaphragm.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

LX User
    Cool thanks for the info, I was thinking it was a choke problem of some kind just wasn't sure. Also another quick question. I noticed there is what appears to be a choke lever on the bottom of our steering wheel covers but mine isn't hooked up. Where those actual manual chokes like on some motorcycles or something ?
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    If it sounds like its going to die and has trouble running unless you give it gas, you're choke is not opening properly. I was having the same problem. The thermovalve on the driver side of the intake manifold did not have any vacuum so the choke wouldn't open. You can try a ziptie and put it on the carb to hold the choke open. If it starts and runs fine right away, that's your problem. It could be a vacuum problem or the linkage just sticks. Spray some carb cleaner on the throttle linkage and then check for vacuum at the thermovalve or the choke opener diaphragm.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    The lever under the steering wheel is for the tilt steering. If you pull it out and push it down, you can adjust your steering wheel. Then push it back up and back in. Our cars don't have a manual choke.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

LX User
    Sweet, thanks for that info. I've been wondering what the hell that is for now I know. I haven't gotten my Hayes and Chilton's in the mail yet, they are on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    The lever under the steering wheel is for the tilt steering. If you pull it out and push it down, you can adjust your steering wheel. Then push it back up and back in. Our cars don't have a manual choke.