Thread: Motor Build-up

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 LX-i Coupe 5spd
    Texas: Austin during the school year, Houston otherwise

Motor Build-up

I've been thinking. Im at a point where I'm going to begin plannin the direction I'll take with my motor. The thing is, I haven't seen anyone around here whos actually built a naturally aspirated A20, or at least they havent been vocal about it.

So here's the plan: forged pistons (11:1 or 11.5:1), rods, cam regrind, headwork, and maybe intake porting. The way I see it, the A20A3 head needs quite a bit of work to be able to make power. At the very least the combustion chambers need to be reworked, as well as some port work.

As far as the other parts, I've heard that JE and Wiesco make forged pistons for us. Cam will be openloop or colt. Fasteners will be ARP if possible. Does anyone know of a place to get rods and additional places to get pistons? Also, does anyone know the specs on the openloop mild and wild cams? Will the stock ecu be able to handle these mods? Is there anything I'm missing? I'm new to imports; I had a 87 K5 before this. Sorry if these are questions that you hear a lot, but I've tried to go beyond the typical posts.

Thanks.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I'm still working on the a20 myself... I know funstick, justanothermike, and phyedux... all have N/A motors, well funstick I'm unsure about cause I think he had turbo too.

i don't think you can do much porting on the intake side or exuast side without increasing valve diameter first... and ask funsitck about the valve angle job.

Also ask carotman about the lude with the a20 motor... it was n/a built, but also ran with nitrous.
    - llia

Vehicle
    88lx,5speed
    winston-salem, North Carolina student at Oklahoma State
    I respect your idea and I will probably do that, but I believ that you shouldn't expect to much out of the engine without forced induction of some kind.
    Ryan

Vehicle
    Twin Weber DCOE Powered 88 Honda Accord LX
    guaynabo89 has crower rods in his car. Also has 10:1 JE pistons and a port & polished head. Has a lightened flywheel, adj cam gear & more. His engine is built and is N/A. He has 124 HP at the wheels (which is probably around 150+ at the flywheel). His is also a very sharp looking car!
    Mike Clark

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    guayabo80 also said he wasn't pleased with the actual amount of power gained. He said he hasn't done headwork of any kind yet, so that is probably hampering him. With good valve grinds and a good cam (proper for the compression ratio if going with hightop pistons), I think you could see 140 at the wheels, but I don't know about beyond that.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.