Thread: distributer o ring

DX User

distributer o ring

my distributer o ring seems to be leaking from under the housing. on my 86 lxi 5 speed, the valve cover appears fine not leaking there.is this a simple job and how best to get to bottom screw? Where to buy ring ? does distributer only go in one way? thanks for any replies Bill

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i 2 Door Coupe 5 Speed

Re: distributer o ring

Quote Originally Posted by 1skatingrink View Post
    my distributer o ring seems to be leaking from under the housing. on my 86 lxi 5 speed, the valve cover appears fine not leaking there.is this a simple job and how best to get to bottom screw? Where to buy ring ? does distributer only go in one way? thanks for any replies Bill
    I would replace the internal oil seal as well as it will look like the distributor o-ring is leaking, here is a kit that contains both OEM seals (the oil seal has been superseded to the seal in this kit (5mm width versus 7mm width, OD and ID are the same as the old one though)

JDM NOK Inshino Distributor O Ring and Seal 2 PC Kit Fits Most Acura Honda | eBay

Distributor only goes in one way. Use a 6 inch extension and a quarter drive ratchet to get the bottom bolt, thats how i do it on my 88 lxi 5spd

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

I've never replaced the internal shaft o-ring, but the cars were a lot newer back when I was ordering parts for them. I only had a handful that leaked there, and we always replaced the entire distributor.

As far as the distributor o-ring, mark the distributor before you start to remove it, so that you can get the timing pretty close when you put it back. Short extensions should be able to get you to the bottom bolt.

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jafir View Post
    I've never replaced the internal shaft o-ring, but the cars were a lot newer back when I was ordering parts for them. I only had a handful that leaked there, and we always replaced the entire distributor.

As far as the distributor o-ring, mark the distributor before you start to remove it, so that you can get the timing pretty close when you put it back. Short extensions should be able to get you to the bottom bolt.
    So you would rather buy a $700 distributor versus $10 in seals? I don't see how that makes ANY sense whatsoever

LX User
    Vehicle

Besides, I replaced the o-ring on my 88, and less than a year later the internal oil seal started leaking and now I have to replace it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by zenapup View Post
    So you would rather buy a $700 distributor versus $10 in seals? I don't see how that makes ANY sense whatsoever
    Well that's not what I said. I said I've never replaced the seals. So basically I have no experience with them, so I'm unwilling to give any meaningful advice on that. Also, the distributor sub assembly isn't anywhere close to $700. Seals weren't available back then so it doesn't matter either way.

But thanks for being condescending.

LX User
    Vehicle

I was not trying to be condescending. Where are you getting prices for distributors, because I just checked last week and a new OE one was $658 plus shipping, I'd like to know where I could get one cheaper if possible

LX User
    Vehicle
    2004 Acura TL

I was not trying to be condescending. Where are you getting prices for distributors, because I just checked last week and a new OE one was $658 plus shipping, I'd like to know where I could get one cheaper if possible
    I cannot get my old boss's old quickbook file to open, so I cannot be SURE, but I seem to remember quoting one for a guy that had a 85-87 prelude si, and he didn't like the 3 or 400 for OEM, and I found him an aftermarket rebuild for $150. But this would have been 12 years ago or so. I just looked on a couple of honda parts places, and the part number 30105-PJ0-733 is no longer available. It does look like you are right, as supply went down the price went way up. Some places are showing it had a list price of $800 or so, when it was still available. Rock auto shows rebuilds for carb cars for as low as $120 and for FI around $230.

LX User
    Vehicle

True, but I refuse to put anything but OEM parts on mine, so I chose to replace the oil seal, and just thought it would make sense to tell the OP to do the same, so as not to have to pull the distributor twice. I have seen to many threads on here from past years about how crappy the rebuilt distributors are nowadays, so I just don't personally want to take that risk.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

People seem to like the Richporters available on eBay okay.

I admire your committment to OE parts, but those are getting rare. As Honda phases out parts, the problem is only going to get worse.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 09-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    2010 Accord

True, but I refuse to put anything but OEM parts on mine, so I chose to replace the oil seal, and just thought it would make sense to tell the OP to do the same, so as not to have to pull the distributor twice. I have seen to many threads on here from past years about how crappy the rebuilt distributors are nowadays, so I just don't personally want to take that risk.
    If you're looking for an OEM distributor (sorry if I lost something in the comments somewhere, lol).

The cheapest place I know of is here

1986 Honda Civic Parts - OEM Honda Parts Online

$542

LX User
    Vehicle

@DrSnooz: Scrapyard is my best friend

LX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeHonda View Post
    If you're looking for an OEM distributor (sorry if I lost something in the comments somewhere, lol).

The cheapest place I know of is here

1986 Honda Civic Parts - OEM Honda Parts Online

$542
    No, just wondering if there was a cheap place to get an OEM one, mine is doing just fine for now, and I'm waiting on the bearing in the mail so I can rebuild it and get the shaft play gone,