Thread: I did it

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

I did it

I replaced my upper control arms today. The last couple Saturdays have had horrible weather and they were really worn out. Then today was an absolutely beautiful day, couldn't ask for a better day. It wasn't really a hard job, but it was a bitch. Took me all day, but it was totally worth it, she drives good for a 24 year old car. Even the wife was impressed with how smooth it is. Now i desperately need a front end alignment. I have never gotten one before, how much should i expect it to cost?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: I did it

About 50 to 80 bucks here...

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Yea i figured that it wouldn't be more than 100 bucks or so

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Firestone here does lifetime alignments for like $150. So if you decide to do more suspension work down the road, you can just drive your car in and not pay the next time. Or the time after that, or the time after that!

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Firestone here does lifetime alignments for like $150. So if you decide to do more suspension work down the road, you can just drive your car in and not pay the next time. Or the time after that, or the time after that!
    I like that idea, i will have to wait a couple weeks to get the money but I'm sure I'll need to do some suspension work again someday.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Congrats on the repair! The UCA's seem to go extra fast in these cars.

Good to know about the lifetime alignments. I've been wanting someone to do that for years.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Accord DX

Ya me too, and thanks for the congrats. I haven't gotten the alignment yet, just taking it easy on the road. I have a small issue though, when i hit a deep dip, i hear a click on the passenger side. I have to hit the dip just right though, other than that there are no noises from the front end. I jacked up the car and there is no play in the tires, the suspension seems incredibly solid. I also tried to manipulate the uca and it has no play either. I'm almost wondering if the lca's are showing their wear because of the newer parts, but maybe aren't worn enough to show play?
    Does that sound probable, or what could cause that?

DX User
    Vehicle
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by running strong View Post
    Ya me too, and thanks for the congrats. I haven't gotten the alignment yet, just taking it easy on the road. I have a small issue though, when i hit a deep dip, i hear a click on the passenger side. I have to hit the dip just right though, other than that there are no noises from the front end. I jacked up the car and there is no play in the tires, the suspension seems incredibly solid. I also tried to manipulate the uca and it has no play either. I'm almost wondering if the lca's are showing their wear because of the newer parts, but maybe aren't worn enough to show play?
    Does that sound probable, or what could cause that?
    They could be potentially worn although you won't see play when you lift the car up and twist them back and forth.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Talking Re: I did it

You can get both pressable bushings AND ball joints from rockauto.com for around $30 bucks for both sides. As i recall, you can also get polyurethane bushings for either the inner or outer bushing from energy suspension or prothane(Can't remember which has what. Polyurethane will for sure be more in cost but will by far outlast any rubber bushing.
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

I would double check the Torque on the pin for the upper control arm and make sure the bushings are pressed in fully. If its even a hair loose or the bushing does not seat right they tend to make a click or almost a pop sound. Charlie5280 and firefighterwhite89 make very good points.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi(Rebuilt)

Prothane 8210 Front Lower Control Arm Bushings Made by Prothane <-----I'm not sure if these are the outer or inner LCA bushings. I'm assuming it's the inner. $23.78
    Shaggy
    FF II/ETC I

"What's my age again? What's my age again?"

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i sedan

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterwhite89 View Post
    Prothane 8210 Front Lower Control Arm Bushings Made by Prothane <-----I'm not sure if these are the outer or inner LCA bushings. I'm assuming it's the inner. $23.78
    That is the inner bushing. The outer is the Prothane 8-907 lower shock bushing.